Author Topic: Assos Chamois Creme  (Read 8477 times)

Re: Assos Chamois Creme
« Reply #25 on: 16 May, 2008, 02:03:44 pm »
My Udder cream came yesterday.  It doesn't look that thin.  I shall start lathering it on soon, so time will tell.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #26 on: 16 May, 2008, 03:18:49 pm »
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #27 on: 16 May, 2008, 03:23:11 pm »
I rarely need to use any creams either. Nor do I need £100 shorts. Sometimes i use a bit of Savlon but not Assos crap. Ride lots and get your position sorted out.

border-rider

« Reply #28 on: 16 May, 2008, 03:34:01 pm »
Ride lots and get your position sorted.

That's it, in 7 words :)

« Reply #29 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:00:43 pm »
I rarely need to use any creams either. Nor do I need £100 shorts. Sometimes i use a bit of Savlon but not Assos crap. Ride lots and get your position sorted out.

Bully for you.

Try telling that to pro riders who get saddle sores. 

Rollo

« Reply #30 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:08:34 pm »

Assos crap? what makes you say that?

« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:13:33 pm »
Do you still get that tingle?

No.  :(

No:(

Changed more than just the colour then?

« Reply #32 on: 16 May, 2008, 08:25:22 pm »

Bully for you.

They really should know the score, perhaps when the get to my age they'll have it sussed. It's them lightweight saddles, I tell you.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 18 May, 2008, 07:31:12 am »
Udderly Smooth for me  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #34 on: 18 May, 2008, 09:38:24 am »
Udderly Smooth for me  :thumbsup:

Yeah right  ::-)

;D ;D ;D

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #35 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:02:13 pm »
Just got a pot of the old formula. Comparing ingredients, the new stuff doesn't contain menthol, which is why that tingle is gone.  :-[

Why change something that doesn't need changing?   :-\ :-\ :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #36 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:28:45 pm »
Just got a pot of the old formula. Comparing ingredients, the new stuff doesn't contain menthol, which is why that tingle is gone.  :-[

Great news to me. Never liked the tingling. :P

« Reply #37 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:46:19 pm »
The Udderly Smooth my be quite thin, so you have to be a little bit careful when applying it, but it sure does the job for me.  The BCM is the proof in that.

« Reply #38 on: 29 June, 2008, 02:06:57 pm »
My new pot is blue  :(

I don't think it is as good.

Why??

« Reply #39 on: 29 June, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
As I have switch back to using Leather-chamois shorts, I'm using cream again. It's essential to stop the leather turning into sandpaper.

Just put ordinary moisturizer  straight onto the chamois. Seems to work ok.

I have a sensitive bottom - managed to inflict 2nd-degree burns over my entire bum and thighs when I was 17.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #40 on: 09 July, 2008, 12:09:50 pm »
mrcharly - do tell ;)

« Reply #41 on: 09 July, 2008, 12:17:47 pm »
Well, I was at the cycle show and found a £3 box full of old cycle clothing, including the lycra shorts.

Oh, you mean about the burns?

Long tale, involving vinyl bench seats in a 4wd, a kettle full of boiling water, and attempting to drive on a dirt track while holding kettle with one hand.

Don't try this at home, folks, unless you fancy finding out what chunks of parboiled flesh look like!  Clue; skin falls off in long strips, with bits of fat attached. Looks like wallpaper when you strip it with a steam stripper.

plus 2 weeks in hospital, 6 weeks to recover, and jokes about 'boiled sausage' for the rest of your time at school.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:41:57 pm »

Bully for you.

They really should know the score, perhaps when the get to my age they'll have it sussed. It's them lightweight saddles, I tell you.

Strange, because Louison Bobet who the TdF 3 times suffered a lot from saddle sores adn I don't think he rode on a lightweight saddle. Udderly Smooth have a thicker version of their cream now out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »
I've never used a cream.  I rarely use padded shorts.*  I don't worry about my riding position much.  I have ended up with a sore bum a couple of times.  I am fussy about saddles.

But then, it's a long time since I've ridden more than about 40miles on a regular basis.

* and NO Reg, I do not have extra padding in that area ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #44 on: 10 July, 2008, 02:58:09 pm »
But then, it's a long time since I've ridden more than about 40miles on a regular basis.
While I'm not a mile muncher like some here, I do spend 10-15 hours a week on my bike, week in week out.
It seems that the key to avoiding sores is keeping things dry, wash off buildups of salt (which lead to bleeding salt rash), and careful positioning. Seams under the buttocks are an absolute no-no.

I dunno what saddle sores really are, I suspect they are caused by ingrowing hairs.

Was Reg offering to inspect and see for himself?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #45 on: 02 August, 2008, 04:59:46 pm »

I'm reliably informed (by the nice man in C0nd0r) that there isn't an old, or a new.
Assos make two types.
Each with seemingly very different ingredient lists, that he couldn't elaborate on as he didn't have his specs  :)
Just as well as he told me this, as it stopped me from acquiring their entire stock of the old  cream coloured variety.
Instead, I only bought II tubs.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 02 August, 2008, 05:08:18 pm »
Wiggle also have the original in stock at present if anyone wants some.

There is only one Assos chamois cream on their site.

« Reply #47 on: 02 August, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »

Indeed.
And looking at the pic of the packaging it would appear to be the old cream coloured variety.
Perhaps the Swiss are a little tardy with updating the minor details of their website.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #48 on: 02 August, 2008, 07:06:05 pm »
Was Reg offering to inspect and see for himself?

:sick:

;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #49 on: 02 August, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »

Can't find any...

Only Udderly Smooth is listed....