Author Topic: BSO spotting  (Read 5883 times)

Re: BSO spotting
« Reply #25 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:31:16 am »
Of course.....but the sort we are talking about are the things that drive people away from bike use.

The surveys say that traffic and dangerous roads drives people away from bike use.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:39:09 am »
Of course.....but the sort we are talking about are the things that drive people away from bike use.

I'm not so sure about this.

WARNING! INTOLERABLE SNOB ALERT!

Cycling is something I do to improve my quality of life. The machinery has to work, otherwise the quality of life is worse.

I'd wager that someone riding an ill-fitting, rusty-chained, badly-adjusted BSO hasn't spent a great deal of time thinking about their life's quality, for a whole variety of possible reasons. Or perhaps they have and they have concluded that everything in life has to be sacrificed for the quality of the plasma TV.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:45:24 am »

The surveys say that traffic and dangerous roads drives people away from bike use.
Indeed....but is that before or after they head out on an Asda BSO?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:48:22 am »
I have spotted a BSo today, and I all I have done so far is go from the house to the garage.

:)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tourist Tony

« Reply #29 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:50:31 am »
I have spotted a BSo today, and I all I have done so far is go from the house to the garage.

:)
;D ;D ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2010, 10:10:51 am »
I have often wondered about the attraction of the 'lower back tattoo' on some young (and not so young) ladies.

I confess to being somewhat confuzled and befuddled but this may have more to do with being 48 next birthday than anything else.

Is it some kind of target?

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

chillyone

« Reply #31 on: 04 April, 2010, 11:05:20 am »
Everything said about BSO's is correct.  However the majority of us are viewing these things from the viewpoint and experience of serious cyclists. 

I ride a BSO.  It has no suspension, but everything works as it should.  It is heavy, isn't the best fitting bike in the world so why do I ride it.  I ride it to town, 10 minutes each way, to the doctors, the library, the railway station and anywhere else not too far away where I am going to leave it at the mercy of the local scrotes.  I suspect, that with the odd exception, this is the use that the majority of adult BSO riders put their bikes to.  Like the woman referred to in the opening post of this thread.  Pop to the shops for a pack of fags or whatever.  Leave the bike outside and if it gets nicked get another one for £20 or off freecycle (where mine came from), the point being if it gets nicked, apart from cussing at having to walk/bus home, who cares.  I would rather my Universal get nicked than my Ridgeback.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #32 on: 04 April, 2010, 11:19:53 am »
The only key BSO indicator missing in the OP is the plastic carrier bag knotted over the saddle....I've never quite understood that one.
Keeps the saddle dry if it rains while the bike is locked up outside. Or, if you do BMF, you might choose to put the plastic bag over the saddle before you get back on the bike to protect the saddle from the half stone of mud you've collected in the fabric of your trackie bottoms.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #33 on: 04 April, 2010, 11:24:31 am »
Chillyone,you have just remindedme of the make of the BSO in question. Universal.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #34 on: 04 April, 2010, 11:53:54 am »
Pop to the shops for a pack of fags or whatever.  Leave the bike outside and if it gets nicked get another one for £20 or off freecycle (where mine came from), the point being if it gets nicked, apart from cussing at having to walk/bus home, who cares.  I would rather my Universal get nicked than my Ridgeback.

That's the (one) thing I miss about my Halford's BOGOF old faithful.  I decided against riding to the the pub the other day, because I didn't want to leave the Very Lovely Valencia locked up out of sight on a busy street filled with Friday night drunks.  With the old BSO I wouldn't have thought twice about it - it wasn't desirable, didn't invite a kicking by virtue of being shiny and lovely, and could have been replaced with a new equivalent for less than a hundred quid or an ebay/freecycle/gunmtree/bike rescue second-hander for, probably, rather less.   But I couldn't keep it as a pub bike as we can't afford the space for more than one bike each - we currently have 4 bikes, one scooter and a pushchair all stored in our through living/dining room which, together with a dinky galley kitchen and small bathroom makes up the entirety of our downstairs!  If we ever do move to somewhere with a more sensible amount of bike storage my first n+1 will probably be a cheap and cheerful BSO-esque one.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 04 April, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »
I have often wondered about the attraction of the 'lower back tattoo' on some young (and not so young) ladies.

I confess to being somewhat confuzled and befuddled but this may have more to do with being 48 next birthday than anything else.

I understand the correct terminology is "arse antlers".

Marginally NSFW:

http://poundedink.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/the-tramp-stamp-tattoo.jpg
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »
Back on topic, other possible attributes:
Shopping bag hanging from handlebars (prolly after she's come out of the shop though).
Brake blocks rubbing on the tyres.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #37 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:14:32 pm »
I was told that the tattoo on the lower back was popularized by them there American ladies that do pr0n and exotic dancing.  Essentially it's like trademarking, they don't always show the face in aforementioned flicks, but tattoo certain areas that tend to appear heavily and it's like a trademark.  So when they do personal appearances at strip clubs, the customer knows it's the lady off the movies (he can't always see the face you see).

« Reply #38 on: 05 April, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »
brake calipers made from pressed steel and less than useless.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Euan Uzami

« Reply #39 on: 05 April, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »
they have got to have feet pointing out at 45 degrees and squeek-squeek-squeek noise coming from somewhere, probably the bottom bracket or chain.

« Reply #40 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
The only key BSO indicator missing in the OP is the plastic carrier bag knotted over the saddle....I've never quite understood that one.

It is to reduce friction - the plastic bag/plastic saddle interface is slipperty slippy.

The economy version of a Brookes and Minty Bum Lard Assos Creme.  :demon:

Round here the saddles on full sus BSOs are often so low that the bottom of the seat post locks the rear suspension out.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #41 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:18:55 pm »
they have got to have feet pointing out at 45 degrees and squeek-squeek-squeek noise coming from somewhere, probably the bottom bracket or chain.

Are we talking about the BSOs or the 'American ladies that do pr0n'?  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #42 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:57:26 pm »
She had another of the BSO rider attributes (apart from the baseball cap and lower back tattoo).
Fag in gob.

"Tramp Stamps".......but there's a whole new thread!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:07:02 am »
Fair enough; I have teh horrors as much as anyone else when faced with the necessity of riding a shonky old BSO.  But do you know what?  A bike's a bike and if you can have fun on it, that's all that matters.

This is what I did last weekend.  Onna bike that weighed about as much as Tourist Tony and Zipperhead sitting on Hummers after they'd all been "going large" at the local all-you-can-eat curry house for a few weeks:

Cycling round Pulau Ubin « bicycleslut

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #44 on: 07 April, 2010, 09:10:26 am »
Yep, I can also spot a BSO in my house (well outside it). It's my station bike. Absolutely no point having anything other than a BSO for leaving at Cambridge train station. Yes it's heavy, yes it's rusty, yes it's crap. But it's still there in the morning which is more important than all of the above!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #45 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:03:54 am »

Because the tarpaulin blew off your bike and the seat has now been rained upon. In their infinite wisdom the seat manufacturer made the sides of the seat out of fabric which will leave wet patches on the bum of your jeans. Therefore the bag goes over to keep your bum dry.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #46 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:14:54 am »

This is what I did last weekend.  Onna bike that weighed about as much as Tourist Tony and Zipperhead sitting on Hummers after they'd all been "going large" at the local all-you-can-eat curry house for a few weeks:
Cycling round Pulau Ubin « bicycleslut

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

MIND BLEACH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:  :sick:

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #47 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:15:05 am »

Its 'cos most other places will sag and droop with age. The idea is that the skin and therefore the tattoo will remain as stamped.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 10 April, 2010, 11:59:03 am »
Maybe I should have one on the top of my head  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #49 on: 10 April, 2010, 12:54:40 pm »
Maybe I should have one on the top of my head  ;)

If it will help reduce the glare.  ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: