Author Topic: Postpersons' bike ban  (Read 5990 times)

Euan Uzami

bikes for postmen
« Reply #25 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »
There was a debate on the radio 4 last night between somebody from a postal workers union who supports the idea of scrapping postmen's bikes in favour of vans, and Kevin Maine off the CTC who is  against it and wants them to still keep their bikes.
Being a cyclist and generally in favour of the CTC and its aims, I'd *like* my opinion to be that the CTC is right and that they should stay using bikes. However, I couldn't really think of any valid counter argument to the union bloke's point that it is "an industrial matter, not a leisure one", and was left with a (slightly unwelcome) feeling of wondering what business it is of the CTC's what vehicle they are provided with to carry out the job they are employed to do.
Who is the main party to benefit from the CTC's argument that they should stay using bikes - the postmen themselves? the royal  customers? Or someone else/the general public?

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Re: Postpersons' bike ban
« Reply #27 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »
If they start pushing the trolleys in this area that will be an improvement.

They're used here as grass verge based storage boxes, padlocked to road signs and with the grass growing up around them.  They never move.

Zoidburg

« Reply #28 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »
If they start pushing the trolleys in this area that will be an improvement.

They're used here as grass verge based storage boxes, padlocked to road signs and with the grass growing up around them.  They never move.
They do if you cut the chain off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »
Doing Nortystuf round the post is not looked on kindly by The Man.

But don't let me stop you.
Getting there...

« Reply #30 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »
They all use trolleys round here, but it's a residential suburb. Using bikes would be more of a pain in the arse than a trolley, especially with the number of Amazon parcels that the local posties seem to have to lug around.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Royal Mail management have looked at just two rounds at the extreme ends of the spectrum; a city round to lots of council flats where you probably walk a mile in total between buildings; and a very rural round that's 80+ miles in total and, unsurprisingly, found that bikes probably aren't most suitable for either. Then based their decision on that.

Re: bikes for postmen
« Reply #31 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
my postman has stopped using his bike  :'(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #32 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:38:31 pm »
There was a debate on the radio 4 last night between somebody from a postal workers union who supports the idea of scrapping postmen's bikes in favour of vans, and Kevin Maine off the CTC who is  against it and wants them to still keep their bikes.
Being a cyclist and generally in favour of the CTC and its aims, I'd *like* my opinion to be that the CTC is right and that they should stay using bikes. However, I couldn't really think of any valid counter argument to the union bloke's point that it is "an industrial matter, not a leisure one", and was left with a (slightly unwelcome) feeling of wondering what business it is of the CTC's what vehicle they are provided with to carry out the job they are employed to do.
Who is the main party to benefit from the CTC's argument that they should stay using bikes - the postmen themselves? the royal  customers? Or someone else/the general public?

Can you remember what programme it was and when?  I'd be interested in listening to the debate.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #33 on: 09 September, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »
They all use trolleys round here, but it's a residential suburb. Using bikes would be more of a pain in the arse than a trolley, especially with the number of Amazon parcels that the local posties seem to have to lug around.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Royal Mail management have looked at just two rounds at the extreme ends of the spectrum; a city round to lots of council flats where you probably walk a mile in total between buildings; and a very rural round that's 80+ miles in total and, unsurprisingly, found that bikes probably aren't most suitable for either. Then based their decision on that.

Sorry, why use logic when you can just use prejudice?

« Reply #34 on: 09 September, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »
Just wait for delivery times increase, days off sick to increase, injuries and accidents to increase, etc. All after getting rid of the bikes for, partly, 'health and safety' reasons.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #35 on: 09 September, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »
There was a debate on the radio 4 last night between somebody from a postal workers union who supports the idea of scrapping postmen's bikes in favour of vans, and Kevin Maine off the CTC who is  against it and wants them to still keep their bikes.
Who is the main party to benefit from the CTC's argument that they should stay using bikes - the postmen themselves? the royal  customers? Or someone else/the general public?

Can you remember what programme it was and when?  I'd be interested in listening to the debate.

I think it must have been PM, you might find it on this one: BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - PM, 08/09/2010
edit: it will have been between 5:30pm and 6:10pm, sorry I can't be any more specific

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #36 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:00:51 pm »
The way some Royal Mail drivers "drive" could be used as a reason for all of 'em being given bicycles to replace vehicles ::-)

Regulator

« Reply #37 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:02:16 pm »
There was a debate on the radio 4 last night between somebody from a postal workers union who supports the idea of scrapping postmen's bikes in favour of vans, and Kevin Maine off the CTC who is  against it and wants them to still keep their bikes.
Who is the main party to benefit from the CTC's argument that they should stay using bikes - the postmen themselves? the royal  customers? Or someone else/the general public?

Can you remember what programme it was and when?  I'd be interested in listening to the debate.

I think it must have been PM, you might find it on this one: BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - PM, 08/09/2010
edit: it will have been between 5:30pm and 6:10pm, sorry I can't be any more specific

Ta.  I'd like to hear how Kevin performed...

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #38 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »
He gave an interesting line, that "the CTC is basically the union for bike riders, as they aren't represented anywhere else" and was unhappy that they weren't consulted re the changes.

I'm not sure that it falls within their jurisdiction either. 

As for the decision, it's been done to death but hey, does this mean postie-bikes on sale?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »
No.  Postbikes haven't been sold for years.  They are given to a charity for shipping to IIRC Africa.
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2010, 04:25:03 pm »
He gave an interesting line, that "the CTC is basically the union for bike riders, as they aren't represented anywhere else" and was unhappy that they weren't consulted re the changes.

I'm not sure that it falls within their jurisdiction either. 

:facepalm:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #41 on: 09 September, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »
Hmmm, I wonder on a selfish note, how they will get rid of their bikes. I wouldn't mind one of those Pashleys.

Talking of which, it must be a blow for Pashley themselves.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #42 on: 09 September, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »
I'm surprised the Union aren't backing the bikes.  If you need a full UK driving licence to deliver post then that's excluding quite a lot of people.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 09 September, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »
They'll become trolley-boys.

Trolleys can break down  ;D

Post trolley left out in the cold (From Swindon Advertiser)

There is even a picture of "the stricken trolley".  Dontcha love provincial news?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #44 on: 09 September, 2010, 05:42:53 pm »
I'm surprised the Union aren't backing the bikes.  If you need a full UK driving licence to deliver post then that's excluding quite a lot of people.
I have noticed they have taken to bussing them about to delivery patches a lot, almost like work gangs that pick veg.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 09 September, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »
Soon they'll all be Chinese, then.

In some areas of London they employ casual delivery staff that can't read the addresses.  I remember it on some TV investigation.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »

Bigger battles on the horizon.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #47 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »
The talking head on the radio seemed stuck in a fetishistic notion that bikes were old fashioned and vans were shiny and modern and new.  Since that is pure opinion, there's no arguing with it.

(point and laugh, though)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #48 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:35:48 pm »
I would imagine that part of the CTC's argument could be that the more posties there are on bikes, the more cyclists there are on the roads, and as we know, the more cyclists there are, the safer it becomes for cyclists.

I love seeing posties on bikes - there's a bunch of 4 who cycle up past my workplace in formation, and very jolly they look too.

The union chap sounded to me like he'd made his mind up and just didn't want to listen to alternatives - as Andy said, he seemed convinced that bikes were backward.

As to how much one can carry - well, with a Maximus trike I'm regularly hauling 100kg or more of recycling. Our cycle couriers in York use Maximi, Yuba Mundos and 8Frieghts, and carry plenty of stuff.

Also, you can push a laden bike or trike down a pedestrian street, at times when  you can't drive a van down there.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #49 on: 16 September, 2010, 07:18:18 pm »
if you apply for a postie's job, there's still a question about whether or not you can ride a bike.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir