Author Topic: The time has come for Cyclists to rise up.  (Read 8985 times)

Chris S

The time has come for Cyclists to rise up.
« on: 05 June, 2008, 11:25:39 am »
With the bikers at it now (BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | Bikers protest over fuel prices) I think it's high time us cyclists staged a mass protest about fuel prices.

erm... no... wait...

:D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The time has come for Cyclists to rise up.
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:28:23 am »
Bikers protesting about petrol prices?  I can't see that the average weekly spend on motorbike fuel is going to break the bank, unless you're commuting every day on a GoldWing.

It's like me complaining about the price because I have a petrol lawnmower (annual fuel consumption: 5 litres).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:29:06 am »
A47 blocked by mass cyclist demonstration....possibly not  ;)

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:31:27 am »
Someone floated the idea of a counter-protest by cyclists in the city centre using the Manchester Critical Mass mailing list...

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:32:53 am »
Bikers protesting about petrol prices?  I can't see that the average weekly spend on motorbike fuel is going to break the bank, unless you're commuting every day on a GoldWing.

My old commute by bike was £50 a week in petrol. Back in 2001.

However, a relatively high-end sports bike is not a suitable commuting bike, especially when ridden like a complete twat so it was only getting about 35mpg.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:33:28 am »

It's like me complaining about the price because I have a petrol lawnmower (annual fuel consumption: 5 litres).

Don't believe it Roger.  I filled the tank of my BMW K1100LT yesterday evening (a rare occurrence, I'll grant you) and it cost me the thick end of nearly twenty quid.

When I bought it less than a couple of years ago, a full tank was about £13-14.

The worst bit is that unless I ride like an elderly nun half way through her rosary, it only does about 150 miles onna tank.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:34:23 am »
We should get out en masse and block the roads in celebration of our liberation - "Look, no fuel!"

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:35:27 am »
We should get out en masse and block the roads in celebration of our liberation - "Look, no fuel!"

That's Critical Mass, innit?

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
So , who else here points and laughs whenever they pass a gas station?  :thumbsup:

<nelson_munce>
Ha HA!
</nelson_munce>

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:36:50 am »
It affects road safety as well because they're not maintaining their vehicles because they're spending all their money on fuel.

I can't believe this quite from a garage owner article linked into the OP. Hmm actually I can believe it. :(

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:42:55 am »
So , who else here points and laughs whenever they pass a gas station?  :thumbsup:

I took this in New York at the weekend.  Read the prices and weep:

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:44:54 am »
So the Yanks are running their vehicules (sic ) on Vodka now ??  Dam Ruskies are taking the place over.

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:45:32 am »
That's Critical Mass, innit?
Oh yeah, I suppose it is... Doh!

iakobski

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:47:29 am »
We should be campaigning against Darling's alleged intention to drop the planned 2p/litre duty increase. On the grounds that the money will have to come from somewhere so its a STEALTH TAX (tm) on everyone who makes some journeys by foot/cycle/train/etc.

In fact, as the price rises, the duty forms a lower percentage of the price so we should campaign for the duty to increase MORE to keep track of the oil price increases...

bobajobrob

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:52:15 am »

Ouch no, too many sharp edges :P

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:00:36 pm »
I took this in New York at the weekend.  Read the prices and weep:
So what are the prices? They aren't quite readble in the photo.
Is it 1.23 or 4.23, and for how much?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:06:19 pm »

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:06:47 pm »
$4.23 to the US gallon which is 0.8 of our gallon.  So about $5.3 to the UK gallon, or about £2.70

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »
Cheaper fuel = Bigger, less economical cars on the road

ian

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:18:06 pm »

You forget the escalating price of cake. Something needs to be done or cyclists will be pushed into the spindly arms of involuntary anorexia. Why won't the government listen?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:18:54 pm »
We should be campaigning against Darling's alleged intention to drop the planned 2p/litre duty increase. On the grounds that the money will have to come from somewhere so its a STEALTH TAX (tm) on everyone who makes some journeys by foot/cycle/train/etc.

In fact, as the price rises, the duty forms a lower percentage of the price so we should campaign for the duty to increase MORE to keep track of the oil price increases...

Personally, I think that the Government should reintroduce the fuel duty escalator and, in addition, abolish VED and replace it with a further tax on fuel.

The sooner that gas guzzlers are priced off the road the better for everyone.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:21:08 pm »
You forget the escalating price of cake. Something needs to be done or cyclists will be pushed into the spindly arms of involuntary anorexia. Why won't the government listen?
It's gonna be wheelies and endos in Tescos until they do something about it...

alchemy

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:24:05 pm »
Unleaded is about $1.60 a litre here (about 75p). I don't know how that compares with the UK but you should hear Joe Public squeal like a stuck pig about it as he fills his V8 Holden or Ford  >:( >:(

Personally, I think it should be twice the price

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »
Unleaded is about $1.60 a litre here (about 75p). I don't know how that compares with the UK but you should hear Joe Public squeal like a stuck pig about it as he fills his V8 Holden or Ford  >:( >:(

Last time I filled up diesel was 1.32 GBP/litre ???  If it gets much worse, then a tank of fuel is going to cost more than my first car.  And unlike some people, that wasn't purchased under the influence of Clement Atlee ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:32:29 pm »

It's worse than that - the first evidence of global food shortages came this week as Stratton St. Margaret Sainsbury's ran out of Soreen malt loaf.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.