Author Topic: Bike fixing jobs on your "to do" list  (Read 4800 times)

Re: Bike fixing jobs on your "to do" list
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »
Wash bikes.

Replace Marathon Winters with regular Marathons on work bike and replace broken link in its chain. If feeling keen, add in-line cable adjusters.

Replace bar tape, brake cables, brake levers, bottle cages and (probably) one caliper on spare fixed.

Replace bars, levers and brake cables on trike.

Clean up all parts for Mercian before frame comes back from respray.

Change tyres on Audax bike before next weekend.

Sell low profile.

I should probably stop before the list gets too long...

Hmmm, will need to make progress faster than that...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »
- fix the flat on the back of the EldestCub's islabike that I've just been told about.
- prior to the above, clean said islabike because it is minging
- finally get around to taking said islabike down to the bike rescue and replacing the rather gritty headset
- clean Valencia, she's absolutely filthy, and do a bit of general tightening up of loose bits in an attempt to avoid anything else dropping off (like the bolt holding the rack in place that I lost yesterday  :-\)
- see if doing this sorts out the funny noise I noticed on the way home from the station last night
- if not, work out what's causing the funny noise
- look at Dearly_Beloved's bike, sigh, and contemplate cleaning that too.

I'm hoping that the rain stops before tomorrow, so that I can actually wash the bikes down outside because cleaning them in the living room would be a very very messy job and there's even less space than usual.  If not, what's the best way of cleaning a bike in the bath?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »
SEQ
  PAR
    Fettle knee
    Give the Dawes much-needed cleaning and lube
    Something cool with unobtanium quantum accelerators
  WHILE TRUE
    SEQ
      Ride
      Eat
      Sleep

REPEAT
   SELECT bike FROM shed
   IF bike = b0rked THEN
      Pile_of_b0rked_bikes := Pile_of_b0rked_bikes + (bike)
   ENDIF
UNTIL bike <> b0rked OR shed = Empty

IF shed = Empty THEN
  REPEAT
     SELECT bike FROM Pile_of_b0rked_bikes
     Fettle (bike)
     IF bike <> b0rked THEN
        shed := shed + (bike)
     ENDIF
     IF bike == (worse_than_before) THEN
        add (bike) to list_of_bikes_to_be_fixed_at_local_bike_shop
     ENDIF
  UNTIL contents(shed) >= adequate
ENDIF

i'm sure there's a bug.  If there are any unb0rked bikes in your shed at all then your first loop will finish as soon as the SELECT returns one of those, before testing any of the remaining bikes for b0rkedness. In that case, your second loop never runs, since at that point Shed <> Empty.

Unless you wrote this knowing that ALL the bikes in SHED are b0rked. (but then the " bike <> b0rked" in the UNTIL clause is superfluous).

Go away, fix your bugs, and then rewrite the whole algorithm in INTERCAL, or you're getting no credit for this module.  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »
The idea (poorly implemented due to too much plastic in my pizza) is that I keep riding the bikes until none of them work any more.  Only then  do I attempt fettling, but most of the bikes end up in the shop instead.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »
Getting there...

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »
I have had the rear wheel off my Pashley postie bike for far too long and need to put it back on (there's no reason not to other than my laziness) before AWL juniors decide to redistribute the bits and pieces that hold it in place.

After that I shall try to flog it, as the caliper brakes' inefficiency in anything even slightly damp is seriously scary.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #31 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »
The idea (poorly implemented due to too much plastic in my pizza) is that I keep riding the bikes until none of them work any more.  Only then  do I attempt fettling, but most of the bikes end up in the shop instead.

In that case, your algorithm works as you describe.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #32 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:24:08 pm »
In order of priority.

1 - Finish putting all the bits on the trike to see how heavy I can make it :-), including yet to be purchased lighting. Plus fix the slowest puncture I've ever seen (annoyed it got through a marathon supreme)
2 - change free hub on mountain bike so I have a backup commuter.
3 - change ball bearings in headset of main commuter, commuting on backup MTB if it takes too long.
4 - service Alfine hub (re-grease and oil dip) on main commuter, commuting on backup MTB if it takes too long.
5 - replace brakes and gears on old MTB, turning it back into a serviceable bike. See if can persuade no 1 son to use it, sell if not.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:42:28 pm »
I'm hoping that the rain stops before tomorrow, so that I can actually wash the bikes down outside

Theoretically rain should do that for you, but it never seems to work like that in practice, unless you've been using Birmingham's finest towpaths.

If not, what's the best way of cleaning a bike in the bath?

Wait for SWMBO to go out.

Wheels off, clean them with dead washing up sponge and shower head, avoiding excessive squirting of the hubs, and allow to dry.

The rest of the bike I tend to do on a granny mat in the living room with a bowl of water and a cloth, because, frankly, our stairs were not made for carrying even wheel-less bike frames up and down (I think there are still tyre tracks on the wall from when I lugged it up here on the dubious assumption that a bike was more portable than a breadboard and oscilloscope).  The worst of the muck will be on the mudguards, which are easy enough to wipe down with the wheels removed.

If I'm doing this sort of cleaning, I'm probably going to be stripping and re-greasing the oily bits too, so they tend to get cleaned in a labour-intensive fettly manner - sheldon shake, ultrasonic cleaner, that sort of thing.  Plates of drying sprockets, dérailleur components and miscellaneous gleaming pingfuckits may have a low SWMBO-approval rating if they're still lying around the kitchen when she gets in.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #34 on: 16 January, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »
My transmission started making clunking sounds hallfway round the Willy Warmer routecheck on Saturday. Shortly after the chain snapped. I've replaced the SRAM PC1N (say, 9 months/3k km old) with a Halfords BMX special made from girders which looks like it should last forever, or at least until I get fed up of lugging it around because its kinda heavy. Anyway, that job's done for now.

Next up is a rim transplant for my dynohub wheel and to finally upgrade my solidlights.

Also need to overhaul the bearings on a pair of ATAC Alium pedals.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #35 on: 16 January, 2011, 11:06:06 pm »
Wash bikes

Do what? ???

You stop that grinding noise when you brake by washing it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #36 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »

In that case, your algorithm works as you describe.
I was more concerned with the final test as it's introducing ambiguity with the introduction of an undefined variable vis adequate.   :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »
replace the seized hub on the spare rear wheel and at the same time order the correct spokes for rebuilding the Alfine rear wheel 2x

get another chain

put a 18T spocket on the spare rear wheel

fit spare rear wheel on the Roadrat instead of Alfine wheel

rebuild Alfine rear wheel 2x

swap back Alfine

update: by the 28th of Jan, I have done exactly none of this :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #38 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:37:49 pm »
1)Change the s/s freewheel on the Langster from 16 to 18T
2)Fit some full length mudgaurds to the Langster.I wonder if I could fit some Crud Catcher Road Racers?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:38:35 pm »
I'm hoping that the rain stops before tomorrow, so that I can actually wash the bikes down outside
If not, what's the best way of cleaning a bike in the bath?

Theoretically rain should do that for you, but it never seems to work like that in practice, unless you've been using Birmingham's finest towpaths.

Sadly, rain doesn't clean bikes very well, and riding in the rain usually makes them dirtier (unless you count removing lube from chains as a form of 'cleaning').

Now I don't want to stop anyone cleaning their bike in the bath, but you can clean them outside in the rain. No problem.

They won't dry very quickly, but you can towel wipe them off under cover afterwards. (I usually squirt WD40 at exposed moving parts, then wipe off with a rag, but I don't know if this really helps much. ) Bikes are mostly waterproof, but the rustable bits benefit from being stored dry - if you can be bothered.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #40 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:31:59 am »
Sorted by bike - nothing is super urgent

change cassette and derailer on touring bike
adjust front hub of touring bike

new bar tape for GJL's utility bike
swap lowrider rack from touring bike to GJL's utility bike, so panniers can be use with child seat

adjust bearings of the fixed gear's left M520 pedal
adjust fixed gear's front mudguard fitting
change bearings on fixed gear's rear wheel

build new front wheel for the road bike
service the road bike's rear wheel
remove fork crown from old road bike ahead set/fork
mass repair of punctured road bike tubes

clean all the bikes
clean the off-bike parts from road bike (bar, front derailer, STIs, brakes)
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #41 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »
Short term:

Replace medium cage XT rear mech on my new utility bike with a long cage.
Dismantle dynohub front wheel and post hub off for a fettle

Medium term:

Replace bars, stem and seatpost on audax bike.  Touch up paint.  Rebuild rear wheel with Hope hub in place of XT M770.  New bar tape too.
Possible replace bars on utility bike with drops.  I can't make up my mind.
New gear cables on road bike.
Replace new Ultegra compact chainset on road bike with original 53/39

« Reply #42 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:18:01 pm »
Get a drift and mallet and smack off the lh crank arm off the bb (thread stripped out by self extracting cap). Fit new SRAM Apex compact cranks and BB and might as well stick on a new chain and cassette while I'm there.

Chris N

« Reply #43 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »
MTB:
Shorten brake hoses and add new fluid
Bed in brakes
Fit gear cable and tune indexing

Roadrat:
Swap Marathon Winters for Panaracer T-Servs
Clean
Fit new chain

Airborne:
Clean
Service hubs
Grease seatpost/saddle interface
Fit new front rim
Add tape to forks/frame where 'guards fit

Black fix:
Clean
Fit new chain
Fit new front rim

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #44 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:30:13 pm »
Find and install a better chainset for Mrs Thor's Subway, cos they put a 42T big ring on a supposed hybrid  >:(  and Mrs Thor says she needs bigger gears.

Install mudguards on my new hybrid.

New tyres for the Van Nic. Something in 25mm with Krylion p*n*t*re resistance, but more grip.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #45 on: 28 January, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
Mercian:

True rear aksium, Clean and lube!

Tonka toy:

true front and rear aksiums, tension selle anatomica, lube (it rarely gets cleaned.. :-[)

« Reply #46 on: 28 January, 2011, 01:26:27 pm »
Hewitt:

Clean and lube chain, check chain for wear.

Sort out bar tape

Fixie:

Retension chain where over tight from emergency adjustment with heavy panier on rear rack.

Replace font brake cable outer and sort out bar tape.

« Reply #47 on: 28 January, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »
Find and install a better chainset for Mrs Thor's Subway, cos they put a 42T big ring on a supposed hybrid  >:(  and Mrs Thor says she needs bigger gears.

I put the previous year's model of one of these on the Subway that I use.  It just worked !

A bit clunky looking and the gearchanges aren't exactly slick but for £12.93 I can't complain.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #48 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »
It feels like I've spent more time fettling since xmas than riding so the fixing will have to diminish to give more time for FIXING, IYSWIM :)

« Reply #49 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »
Put SRAM levers on my Bob Jackson, as the Shimano ones are giving me hand grief. Redo bar tape, again.

Fit normal tyres to commuter bike.