Author Topic: Brummies! I'm coming to see you!  (Read 4988 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Brummies! I'm coming to see you!
« on: 06 October, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »
I'm visiting Birmingham Tuesday week (that's the 18th) for work, staying in a Premier Inn or similar near the NEC. I hope to squeeze my bike in with a view to an evening pootle Tuesday night.

Well?  What now?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brummies! I'm coming to see you!
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2011, 08:42:18 pm »
I propose an evening pootle on Tuesday night.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »
I know, how about a pootle?  On Tuesday.  In the evening.
It would be nice to meet you Tim.  :thumbsup:

But what to do?
Hmm.  Either you take the local train into Mordor Central or we train it out to Mordor International and ride out there.
I'm not much good at east of Brum as I very rarely go out that way.  A circle around Meriden with a visit to the war memorial to the unknown cyclist, or what ever it's called?
A city urban night ride?

I assume that we're talking dark o'clock here?  Although given notice I can arrange an afternoon off.

Any ideas anyone?
Warwickshire lads, a meet on neutral territory?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »
That idea of a Tuesday evening pootle sounds spot on.

I'm at an exhibition at the NEC until 1630, so it's likely it would be a dark o'clock ride.

However...

I've just looked at the hotel where I've been booked. It's not that near to the NEC, it's in Balsall Common.  I'm not well versed in the local geography, but it does look a bit far from $ANYWHERE.  On the other hand Berkswell Station is close at hand.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »
On the gripping hand, it's a reasonably safe distance from Mordor.

Sadly I know very little about that general direction, either.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »
If you want quiet roads I'd suggest heading to Meriden www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=57017  then head towards Maxstoke & shustoke reservoir.  It's quite nice out that way :thumbsup:

Edit: I finish work in Coleshill at 17:30hrs so could ride out & meet up at a pub somewhere (I trust a pub will be involved)  ;)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
The lanes around Balsall Common are generally quiet if you don't go too close to Coventry. Go north,as Fungus suggests, and there are hills with views around Maxstoke, though no challenging climbs.

Go south and there are quiet lanes through gently undulating farmland with hedges, many oak trees and more hamlets than villages. A circular ride would involve a short section of either A4177 or A4141 - not ideal, but they're roads I ride on regularly. Suggest Honiley, Beausale, Haseley, Baddesley Clinton as a route than can easily be shortened or lengthened according to taste & weather.

As to pubs...

At the further end of a loop, the Griffin in Church End (Shustoke) is a truly excellent watering hole to the north, while The Case is Altered in Mouseley End is equally good to the south (warning, there's a £1 fine for anyone whose mobile phone rings inside this pub).

Closer to Balsall Common, the Bull's Head in Barston is a personal favourite, closely followed by the White Swan in Hampton-in-Arden & the Tipperary Inn at Meer End. The Railway Inn in Balsall Common, by Berkswell station is also good, & might prove more convenient.

I'd like to join in an evening pootle. Balsall Common is only about half an hours' ride from home.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »
Excellent! We have the beginnings of A Plan.

Yes, I feel a pubbe would be almost essential. Would folk be eating at same, or should I wind some grub in before we pootle?

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2011, 10:00:06 pm »
Have just reminded myself of the location of the Honourable Mr Fungus's abode and reflect that a northern route might suit him better...

I'm undecided on the food issue, but have to admit that ye list of pubbes did not assess availability or quality of food. Criteria were pubbiness & beer. Nevertheless the Griffin has food, as do the White Lion, Bull's Head (good home cooking) & Tipperary Inn.

The Case is Altered hath not vittles.

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2011, 01:18:40 am »
Do we have a time and place to start the pootle?

Weather forecast looks distinctly encouraging.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2011, 08:31:23 pm »
Nick, you do realise we're talking about next Tuesday?  I read your post in a tone that suggested you were thinking it was tonight.

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
Tim,
Apologies :-[ I got the date wrong (another senior moment), and full marks for guessing that.

Tonight would have been a glorious night for the ride, so here's hoping that the weather is good next week, even if not quite so unseasonably warm..

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:15:18 am »
Tim, I'm really sorry, matey, but due to stuff, life and other related things, I am unable to do this.

Sorry.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13 on: 17 October, 2011, 01:02:08 pm »
Fungus mentioned Shustoke, & whilst there's a small chance I can make it, you will be near one of the finest pubs in England, The Griffin. I'm sure Fungus knows it. If not, it's time he did :)

Balsall Common is near to Kenilworth & I can much easier make that, as it's only 4 miles away. There are a few country routes I know that way, including Leek Wootton where there is the Anchor.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #14 on: 17 October, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »
I'm actually going to be in the general area tomorrow (half an hour or so away from Balsall Common) picking up n+1 at round about 4pm!

Depending on the timings, I might be able to join in for this.  Probably mostly for pubbage really as I'll have car with bike either inside or on the back (hopefully inside).  Unless there's somewhere sensible I could park, join in a bit of the ride and then ride back to without scaring myself silly (keeping in mind I'm still reasonably new to all this!) or getting lost?   ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 17 October, 2011, 02:33:48 pm »
yacfers are never lost.
On rare occassions they may be TURPtoFID

Temporarily Uncertain of Relative Position  to FInal Destination

;)

« Reply #16 on: 17 October, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »
I'd seriously love to join you chaps but I have to be in Northampton.    :(

« Reply #17 on: 17 October, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »
Fungus mentioned Shustoke, & whilst there's a small chance I can make it, you will be near one of the finest pubs in England, The Griffin. I'm sure Fungus knows it. If not, it's time he did :)

Balsall Common is near to Kenilworth & I can much easier make that, as it's only 4 miles away. There are a few country routes I know that way, including Leek Wootton where there is the Anchor.
Which has good beer & good food

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18 on: 17 October, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
Basil, don't worry, it's only a bike ride. Family and Real Life are more important.

So, Leek Wooton and The Anchor sounds like a plan.

What say the rest of you?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 17 October, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »
Name a place and time and, gasmen permitting, I will be there.

« Reply #20 on: 17 October, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »
I like the Anchor. It's only about 14 km from Balsall Common along the shortest cycling route, so you may want to explore a few more Warwickshire lanes on the way.

However I don't mind whether we go north or south. Either way, I can assist with routes & navigation if needed.

Also, if anyone needs help with navigating from a station (e.g. BHI or HIA) to a meet point in Balsall Common I may be able to act as guide.

Warning, I shall not be contactable except by mobile phone until I get home around 1700 tomorrow. Tim you have PM.

I await details of time & place. If it's early I'll need to eat at the pub.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:12:30 pm »
Does 1830 at Berkswell station work? And then wing it?  Or is that too early?  Fungus, shall we Go North so we rope you in too?

« Reply #22 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:13:24 pm »
1830 is OK for me. It may not allow time for dinner before the ride, but that can be solved at the pub.

The Griffin is around 18km from Berkswell station.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:26:22 pm »
Barakta has offered to skive off slightly early and keep an eye on the gasmen if necessary, so I should be fine for 18:30.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #24 on: 18 October, 2011, 07:46:31 am »
Sadly I'm out, not been too good the last couple of days so will be getting a lift into work again  :(
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.