Author Topic: Festive lights on bike - legality?  (Read 7718 times)

Festive lights on bike - legality?
« on: 02 December, 2011, 12:01:58 am »
Thinking of brightening up bike or self for rides near Christmas but wondering about legality. I'm only thinking of a string or two of low output, non-flashing LEDs, in addition to and not instead of usual bike lights.  Anyone know if this is likely to fall foul of the law?  It seems to be fairly standard practice on lorries at a much greater power but I know we don't have the same rights as other road users!

Any ideas?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Festive lights on bike - legality?
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:06:13 am »
Stick to a sensible colour like yellow/orange and I reckon you're fine.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:08:29 am »
I went to meet rogerzilla with fairy lights on my bike and got away with it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:29:02 am »
I went out with white LED Christmas lights (£4 battery operated, from Tesco) today for a Christmas meal ride. I did get stared at but that might have been the furry Santa hat not the lights, and didn't get stopped by any police :)

« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2011, 01:42:57 am »
I think the rules are all about what you must have on the bike.

I don't think there's anything about what you cant have.

So add as many lights as you want, though blue lights are more likely to catch attention of the police (and may be illegal).
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 02 December, 2011, 01:45:21 am »
I don't think there's anything about what you cant have.

I'm fairly sure they say you can't have a red light visible to the front or a white light to the rear.

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2011, 01:47:51 am »
Good point. That is almost certainly true.

(Ergo, I was talking out of my rear end. Thank you Kim for the reality check.)
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 02 December, 2011, 06:45:54 am »
I went to meet rogerzilla with fairy lights on my bike and got away with it.
Only because I'd already been dogging that day.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2011, 06:54:43 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about legality. Even if it is strictly against the law, the chances of being convicted must be vanishingly small and, if it does happen, what do you get - a fine of a few quid? Take the motorist approach to fines and regard it as a small "Tax on Christmas".

I would think a bit about safety, though. Red lights at the front may confuse people etc. Drivers are dangerous enough in perfect conditions. OTOH, going about literally lit up like a Christmas tree may help one's conspicuity, I suppose.

« Reply #9 on: 02 December, 2011, 07:11:12 am »
I would be more concerned about giving insurance companies a line of attack in the event of an accident - but it wouldn't stop me doing it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
Gorgeous and smiley. Do eet!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #11 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:25:01 pm »
Gorgeous and smiley. Do eet!

... and if in doubt wear them on yourself, rather than the bike.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:27:54 pm »
As the weather has remained mild, I'm still using both of my bikes.  This means I now need to decide which bike to festoon with festive lighting.

Although it's too early for my Santa hat, I'll probably put lights on a bike in time for the Southend ride next weekend.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 02 December, 2011, 02:28:58 pm »
You might like to think carefully about blue flashing lights pointing in any direction.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »
Boringly factual but RVLR has most of the answers.

Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors
11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front, except–
<a few exceptions>

(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except–
<rather more exceptions>

Flashing blue lights are covered separately in Reg. 16. You can guess what it prohibits.

The 2005 amendments that legitimised flashing lights on bikes don't seem to have changed the rules on colours.

HTH.

« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2011, 10:29:25 am »
Thanks, everyone.  It's looking like tinsel, then!  Presumably the police are not very aware of the laws either: I see loads of lorries with decorative lights (throughout the year) and no attention paid to what colour faces which way.  They don't bother me and I enjoy the colourful appearance.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »
Personally, I'm prepared to argue the toss (or - er - maybe not, depending on the circumstances) that a my set of £6 battery-operated Christmas-tree lights does not constitute a "lamp" for the purposes of the Regulations.

I'll probably mount them on a rigid piece of headgear, liberally supplied with large holes that are ideal for threading the lights through  ;)

I've done this before with a unicolour green set and no-one complained.  Anyway - what's the worst that can happen? 

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »
Flashing blue lights are covered separately in Reg. 16. You can guess what it prohibits.

Many moons ago when I was much younger and decidedly more foolish, I and some student friends where bollocked for 'impersonating a police officer' or some such. Why? Because Phil, a trumpet player, was leaning out of the car playing 'daaaa dah, daaaa dah, daaaa dah' and I was on the other side with a flashing torch and blue plastic beaker combo .....
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
Boringly factual but RVLR has most of the answers.

Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors
11.—(1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front, except–
<a few exceptions>

(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except–
<rather more exceptions>

The 2005 amendments that legitimised flashing lights on bikes don't seem to have changed the rules on colours.

HTH.
So I could have a string of fairylights around the top tube if they were pink and green and yellow and orange?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:05:24 pm »
Providing your fairy lights do not "resemble a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp"  they can be blue or any other colour (as I read the regs; and I consider myself a "reasonable person"  ;))

"M'lud, does this photie resemble a polis bike, or a Christmas tree on wheels?"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »
"M'lud, does this photie resemble a polis bike, or a Christmas tree on wheels?"

We had one of those on Critical Mass yesterday evening.  Both rider and bike were covered (and I do mean *covered*) in fairy lights of various colours.

There was also someone dressed as Wowbagger.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #21 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
Tron-tastic  ;)

« Reply #22 on: 10 December, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
OMG my next door neighbour has put blue flashing LED lights all over a bush in their front garden. Every time I glance at the bay window I think the police are out there (and get some deep seated sense of panic that they are coming for me based on a my upbringing!)  :facepalm:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #23 on: 10 December, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »
Slightly OT (but only slightly) - when did blue come to be a Christmas colour?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 10 December, 2011, 10:37:28 pm »
It still isn't IMO. Christmas colours for me are red and green, also gold and silver. Just MO though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.