Author Topic: Festive lights on bike - legality?  (Read 7708 times)

Re: Festive lights on bike - legality?
« Reply #50 on: 12 December, 2011, 09:48:39 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia.  Myra is now the Turkish city of Demre.
:thumbsup:

That was much better when I misread it as "Archbishop of Myra in Lycra"
Patron saint of Mamils?

;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

plum

« Reply #52 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:03:08 am »
I put a full set of multicolour [red, blue, gold, green] flashing fairy lights on my bike for all of last week, and though I say it myself, it did look very good in the darkness of both ways of my commute. My ride takes me through some very heavy and slow traffic in and out of Birmingham, most of which I filter down the middle of the road nipping in and out of spaces to get through. And to my astonishment I was accompanied by lots of friendly [honestly!] beeps and thumbs up from car drivers in both directions as I went along, especially during the school run times. I admit that the red and blue flashers might have helped part the traffic on occasions which might offend the sensibilities of some of the more law abiding regulars here, but I passed police cars along the way and didn't see any sign of annoyance. Highly recommended. It's the holidays now, don't know how motivated I'll be to get out and enjoy the countryside in this cold, we'll see.

« Reply #53 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:05:26 am »
Well, we don't seem to be any closer to a definitive decision on what is or what isn't legal but I went out with JayP and Pete Hammond yesterday on the Holt Perm audax and we wore lights on our persons: Pete's were blue and made him look like a community policeman and mine were multi-coloured.  There was no flashing, except at hedge-inspections.  At one stage we were right alongside a police van waiting to turn right and there was not a flicker (though the driver may have been texting or watching a DVD).  So, a jolly jape successfully executed - Christmas lights twinkling in the rain - I feel a single coming on.....

Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone!