Author Topic: Which bike do you use the most/least  (Read 6033 times)

Re: Which bike do you use the most/least
« Reply #25 on: 25 December, 2011, 10:31:45 am »
This years been a bit low on the mileage due to lurgies and the surgeon not letting me cycle for a few months, but I know in a typical year, out of 8000 miles or so, 5000 of those would be on the Kaffenback commuter, and most of the remainder would be on Red.  I did use Vince the snow bike a bit, but less than the weather would have allowed.  I need to get my fleet a bit more in roadworthy condition, so there's a bit more variety in what I use!
Actually, it is rocket science.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #26 on: 25 December, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »
Hmm, MCL mileage as of today is 9091.49, breakdown is:
Dahon Cadenza (commuter/hack, nicked): 2055.75
Dahon Jetstream XP (former best bike, now sold): 36.77- you can see why I sold it, I'd only ridden it on four short trips in about six months. Just didn't want to ride it any more
Condor Squadra (deputy road bike): 2850.74 (the LeJOG travesty and multiple other long rides)
Dahon Speed Pro TT (Chutney, ex-Woolypigs): 452.94. Been sitting in the garage for a couple of months, but that mileage was a couple of months as well..will be seeing plenty of use, fab bike & definite upgrade on the Jetstream.
Viner Magnifica (pride of the fleet): 3108.35. Didn't get to use it on the LeJOG due to repair being needed, but the mileage says it all.
Trek Portland (commuter/hack/winter bike/it's raining): 1161.56. Since late October. Hacked off at having to replace the Cadenza, but not with its replacement. If I had to have only one bike (I apologise for even suggesting such heresy!), this would be it. Brilliant bit of kit. Quick, comfy, full mudguards, disc brakes....Me like lots.

« Reply #27 on: 25 December, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
I do most of my miles fixed, I have a Pearson Touche which is my commuter, general runabout and winter bike, I have a Verenti Kilmeston which only gets used on summer Sundays, I also have an old Dawes Giro 300 which is almost permanently kept on the Turbo.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #28 on: 26 December, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »
No idea which has been used the most mileage wise, but the defy is my commuter bike so gets used most days whereas the TCR has done nearly all my Audax rides this year.
So:
Giant Defy4 lots
Giant TCR2 lots

Impresed by all the stats though  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

corshamjim

« Reply #29 on: 26 December, 2011, 01:14:26 pm »
I use the Trek Pilot as seldom as I can because I can almost feel that 30-gear drivetrain wearing out as I ride.

The Pashley Paramount is my first choice for almost everything.  It's heavy but I just love riding it.

The Dahon folder is sadly neglected.  It's been useful, but now I have a cycle rack to go atop the car I don't really need the folder.  I'll fettle it back to something more like its original condition then sell it.

The allotment / winter bike is used for dirty and tough stuff - weekly trips to the allotment towing the trailer usually.

Having done the n+1 thing three times now I think I will go back down to just two, but the 2nd won't be any of the bikes in my garage today.  :-\

essexian

« Reply #30 on: 27 December, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »
Of the 2528 miles I have managed this year, 67% were done on "Jordan" my Specialized road bike, 32% on "Boris" the Boardman Hybrid I use as a winter hack, while "Flo" the Folder and Georgie the Giant HT MTB have amounted to less than 1% each. Indeed, I have only used Georgie five times this year, and Flo has not been out of the garage sinice March!

Interestingly (or otherwise!), I checked my average speed achieved on my main two bikes:

Jordan the road bike: 11.98mph
Boris the Hybrid:         11.97mph

Seems Boris is as fast as my road bike but not as comfortable to ride. My average ride distance on Jordan is some 4 miles further than Boris at 27 miles.

Sorry, I was bored. Could tell you how many times I got rained on if you wish.......  :facepalm:

« Reply #31 on: 27 December, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »
Phew! Someone who's in my league at last. I was getting depressed by the mileages racked up by some people here.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 27 December, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
Interestingly (or otherwise!), I checked my average speed achieved on my main two bikes:

Does anyone else have those kind of stats?  I'm curious about how much difference the bike actually makes.

Of course it's not always a fair comparison when different bikes are used for markedly different types of cycling, but I've always found that over my 43km hillier-than-average loop, any difference caused by my choice of bike is lost in the noise of wind and traffic conditions.  I should disclaimer that by saying that I don't have any kind of lightweight road bike, though.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »
i don't record all distances/trips, so roughly:

decathlon triban 5 (hybrid, disc brake, brooks saddle, m+ tyres, mudguards etc) - commuting, social rides, audaxes - 85% of journeys
tifosi ck7 (now dismantled, used for long rides) - 4%
fuji pro racing bike (bits transfered from tifosi)  - social rides, audaxes, odd club run - 6%
saracen folding bike - commuting, train journeys, for fun, racing - 2%
raleigh fixed/ss bike (need to use it more) - commuting in dry weather - 1%
bso hack no.1 (before it got nicked) - 1%
bso hack no.2 (before it got vadalised beyond repair) - 1%

distance wise i think i've done the same on hybrid and racing bike, about 5000 km each, and 1000 km between other bikes.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #34 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »
Does anyone else have those kind of stats?  I'm curious about how much difference the bike actually makes.

ime, it doesn't make much difference. no matter which suitable (i.e. comfy enough)  bike i use it takes roughly the same time to complete moderately hilly 200k audax (or first part of longer one) in about 8hrs. it can vary, but not because of bike, but of wind direction, type of tyres, riding in faster groups, feeling good and strong etc. weight difference between my bikes (unladen) is ~6kg.

« Reply #35 on: 27 December, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »
I don't log speed, usually, but...

Yesterday I was knackered and in a foul mood after 105km of fixed riding (16kph including stops).
Today I am less knackered and much more cheerful after 165km of (mostly) geared riding (18kph including stops).

I go faster on gears. I go (even) faster on a geared bike with bigger gears.

It depends on your style. If you want to try a lightweight road bike just shout. Mine'd fit you, well enough for a trial, anyways.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 27 December, 2011, 09:37:35 pm »

Seems Boris is as fast as my road bike but not as comfortable to ride. My average ride distance on Jordan is some 4 miles further than Boris at 27 miles.
I'm surprised by this. Not only that the hybrid is as fast as the road bike but that the road bike is more comfortable. I guess it's partly horses for courses (saddles for arses, bars for hands and reaches for backs, etc).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 27 December, 2011, 09:56:30 pm »
It depends on your style.

Yes, well, we all know about my style... 

Fixed vs gears is a fair point, I can see why that makes a significant difference.

My little collection of anecdata suggests that upright vs recumbent doesn't make a huge difference with rolling hills, but can do when wind is a dominant feature.  Three wheels slow you down massively in any kind of traffic.  Tyres make a huge difference to the feel of the bike, but are a red herring speedwise unless you're wasting time fixing punctures or falling off and injuring yourself.  And the effect of weight is massively overrated.  I don't have enough tandem miles to draw any sensible conclusions, other than it being mostly about the bickering.

ETA: Oh, and I slow down significantly once the temperature gets into single figures.  But that's obvious.  Hard to maintain a decent pace when you can't breathe properly.

For me it's all about the ergonomics.  If I'm comfortable and not injuring myself I can go further and stop less.  After 100k or so, all else is secondary.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #38 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »
But if someone were to offer you a lightweight racing 'bent with go faster stripes tomorrow to complement the sturdy german engineering you wouldn't say no, would you..... 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
But if someone were to offer you a lightweight racing 'bent with go faster stripes tomorrow to complement the sturdy german engineering you wouldn't say no, would you.....

Well obviously not.  I'd have to take up Audax.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
Year's not finished yet, but here's some figures from MCL (please excuse if formatting is all to cock; I will try to set it right):

Time                  Km           Av Spd    Rides
Ridgeback Solo                      252:32:02           5067.43          19.92      256
Orbit Silver Medal                    411:06:45           7386.53          17.67      310
Woodrup Giro                            31:16:01             585.58          18.73      16
Dawes Super Galaxy                  04:39:28               75.49          16.21        3
Dawes Tandem Super Galaxy        09:23:16             171.28          18.24      10
Dahon Speed 7                           09:36:39             144.49       15.03       17
Dahon Vitesse                           01:06:01               16.67        15.15       1
Carlton S3X                              10:15:10                  143.94       14.04       8
Orbit Orion                                 00:21:59                 7.77       21.21       1
Carlton Corsa fixed                       00:23:52                 8.70      21.87     3

So, despite having bought the Ridgeback for the purpose of commuting (the majority of my miles), it seems I reach for the trusty old Orbit most often.  And wonderful it is. :)

There's me average speeds ^^^ Oop there.

But it's deceptive.  A lot of the fixed mileage is on flat roads I know well, whereas the Orbit lugs up hills, sometimes with a camping load.  Oh - and the Orbit Orion is Butterfly's bike, and the only ride I did on it was back down the big hill from Corridori.  Carlton Corsa is TGL's, and has no load carrying capacity at all, so that's all play.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #41 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »

Well obviously not.  I'd have to take up Audax.

wanna buy my swb 'bent Kim?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »
It depends on your style.

Yes, well, we all know about my style... 

Fixed vs gears is a fair point, I can see why that makes a significant difference.

My little collection of anecdata suggests that upright vs recumbent doesn't make a huge difference with rolling hills, but can do when wind is a dominant feature.  Three wheels slow you down massively in any kind of traffic.  Tyres make a huge difference to the feel of the bike, but are a red herring speedwise unless you're wasting time fixing punctures or falling off and injuring yourself.  And the effect of weight is massively overrated.  I don't have enough tandem miles to draw any sensible conclusions, other than it being mostly about the bickering.

ETA: Oh, and I slow down significantly once the temperature gets into single figures.  But that's obvious.  Hard to maintain a decent pace when you can't breathe properly.

For me it's all about the ergonomics.  If I'm comfortable and not injuring myself I can go further and stop less.  After 100k or so, all else is secondary.
I think weight is a big factor anywhere hilly. It can make the difference between getting up and getting off. Particularly if your heavy old gas-piper has overly high gears - as they usually do, at least from the 80s. And it's most certainly not the case that what you lose on the way up you make up for on the way down. Similarly, an upright position slows you down significantly into even a moderate wind - as I proved with a couple of parishioners on the Somerset Levels.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »
Totals by Bike
BikeHoursMilesAve speedNo. of rides
Thorn Raven Sport Tour457:01:024213.489.20210
Thorn Raven Discovery Tandem142:08:241078.537.5942
Brompton T6 ? 8.58 - 2
Boris Bike Heavy00:52:0011.198.002
Ridgeback Neutron ? 2.50 - 1
All Cycling600:01:265314.288.82257

Which gives a total of just over 600 hours' cycling this year (I passed that total today) - and I haven't finished yet.

The most disgraceful omission from the above is the Mercian "King of Mercia" which thinks I don't love it any more. I must get around to converting it to a single speed and using it as a lightweight summer bike, sans mudguards.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #44 on: 27 December, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »
Phew! Someone who's in my league at last. I was getting depressed by the mileages racked up by some people here.

Sorry. Just remember I'm a billy-no-non-cycling-mates :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Which bike do you use the most/least
« Reply #45 on: 28 December, 2011, 01:11:36 am »
My stats from mycyclinglog.com:

The Z35 is my carbon bling bike. Of the total for that bike, about 1400km is made up of just four rides, including one of 640km. The rest is mostly fairweather commuting. The Breed fixed is my main commuting bike, but I've also done a few audaxes on it, including a 400. It's also used as a SS cyclocross bike & snow bike, and I have the different setups listed individually. Evidently haven't used it for anything other than fixed riding this year - though I'm planning to take it SS offroading tomorrow, funnily enough.

The Brompton is my other commuting bike & is also used for weekend errands. I didn't record all my Brompton mileage this year - probably did another 400km on top of what's logged.

I also have an Edinburgh Revolution hybrid that I rarely use - it's officially my wife's bike now but she doesn't use it either.

The bling bike is definitely the fastest, though not always.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #46 on: 31 December, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »
At the end of my ride today this year's totals are:

Mercian (Day rides and lightweight touring)  5287 miles
Super Galaxy (Longer touring mainly with camping gear) 3152 miles
Old Galaxy (Shopping and when having to leave in town) 1614 miles

Making a year total of 10,053. Thanks to a mild November and December that is 45 miles more than last year.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #47 on: 04 January, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »

2011_bikes by The Pingus, on Flickr

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #48 on: 04 January, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »
Pingu,your pie chart is all one colour to my colour blind eyes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 04 January, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »
^ This.  Well, not exactly:  I can differentiate the three shades of blue on the chart, but the key is a lost cause.