Author Topic: Blue Peter presenter cycles to the South Pole  (Read 8594 times)

LEE

Re: Blue Peter presenter cycles to the South Pole
« Reply #50 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:47:18 pm »
Just watching the TV show.  Those bikes were just dead-weight weren't they?  Totally unfit for purpose.

"Easier to get off and push them" said the Norwegian fella.  Why bust a gut at 2mph when you can kite-ski 100km in 7 hours?

« Reply #51 on: 16 March, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »
exactly what my OH said, why chuck the kite things  away when they were making such good time/speed with them  :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 16 March, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »
Wheels like that would be fine for a flat surface.  Which it isn't.  I expect the thinking was that they needed the largest contact patch possible in order to avoid sinking into the snow, hence wider tyres at low pressure, and large wheels would have been prohibitively heavy.  But the 'solution' is pitiful, and I feel sorry for her having to lug that thing.  It looks like it's been designed by someone who knows very little about bikes.

I too thought that hub gears might be better, but I can't imagine a lube that would work adequately at those temperatures.  I suppose they do have motorised vehicles which must have something, but I guess they are warmed by the engine anyway.

Hate to say I told them so.
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:12:34 am »
Somebody else thinking like us on the bike obviously:

http://www.ericlarsenexplore.com/expedition/cyclesouth

Planning to bike the whole way using a surly moonlander.  That's more like it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:30:06 am »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...