Author Topic: Trying to give myself a reason for renewing CTC membership.  (Read 12873 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Trying to give myself a reason for renewing CTC membership.
« Reply #25 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:08:16 pm »
Not sure I understand a lot of this. CTC offers 12% discount via its on line shop. My local cycling club obtains 15% discount from local suppliers. Sustrans lobbies for cycliing routes and on behalf of cyclists for nothing. The dutch have independent cycling routes - we dont. So I cant get a handle on what it is I am part of?

Sounds like you've already made your mind up , so there's not much point in me replying. However:

read their website. read what they do. read about their campaigns. read about their influence on the Highway Code. read the various info about shimergo, nice routes etc etc ...

If you want to discuss any of that here, great.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
It seems BC offer family 'ride' membership for £58
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/prices 

We currently have CTC family membership for £66 pa... I wonder which is better value for money?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:51:37 pm »
As BC do not do a single thing for me, my completely self-interested answer would be:

CTC, obviously. Send them your money, now!  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2012, 01:57:28 pm »
I think it depends what kind of cycling you do:

audaxs, touring, pootling to the shops: CTC
timetrialing, 'cross racing, track riding : BC

I have BC silver membership as I do (or aspire to do) the latter.  I'm also a member of AUK, though, as I do one of the former. :)

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »
audaxs, touring, pootling to the shops: CTC

ish...  :)

What discounts does CTC offer?  I notice BC has wiggle and halfrods...
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/compare-membership-packages

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »

What discounts does CTC offer? 

Have a thorough browse thru' this....

http://beta.ctc.org.uk/

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »

CTT, I do believe!

(IMHO, the only really accesible thing BC 'do' for anyone is cyclo-cross. And that's something you can only 'do' for a few hours a year. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:19:21 pm »
A cycling family, a desire to ride with the Fridays, regular cyclo-commuter so value the insurance.

CTC Family membership does it for me. But I'd rather they hadn't charideefied themselves.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2012, 02:47:05 pm »
according to the current edition of Cycle mag...
15% off at Cotswold Outdoor
10% oof atPROVIZ
Cycle rescue scheme
25% off at YHA

As far as I can see ctc don't promote all their discounts on the website.There is more info in the mag which you get when you've joined.
Perhaps a chicken & egg scenario  :-\

« Reply #35 on: 01 October, 2012, 03:38:34 pm »

CTT, I do believe!

(IMHO, the only really accesible thing BC 'do' for anyone is cyclo-cross. And that's something you can only 'do' for a few hours a year. )

I also need a racing licence to do the Reading Track League - which is also very accessible.  They even put you in different groups based on your ability! :)

I always forget about CTT - not being part of the people who organise TTs.  But to race you need either BC or CTT membership, don't you?  (This may be a misconception of mine, though).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 01 October, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »
There is a whole thread in Racing about this (cos there isn't a 1-line answer!)

I'll find the right post, hang on ...

OK, start reading here: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=62915.msg1308755#msg1308755
(but basically you can often just turn up for your first 'club' race, certainly with us)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #37 on: 01 October, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »

CTT, I do believe!

Unless you are north of the border when you have to pay silly fees to even think about entering a race.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #38 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:07:34 am »
Renewed today for another 5 years. After a lot of thought and reading arguements for and against I decided they are the only organisation to represent my type of cycling. They fact they are now a charity still saddens me and I have yet to be convinced to the strength of their campaining.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:16:12 am »
Indeed.

They're far from perfect, but a LOT better than the rest!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #40 on: 03 October, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »
After a lot of thought and reading arguments for and against I decided they are the only organisation to represent my type of cycling. They fact they are now a charity still saddens me and I have yet to be convinced to the strength of their campaigning.

I renewed recently having had exactly the same thoughts.  Only 1 year for me but then I do qualify for the old f**t's rate.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 12 October, 2012, 02:35:49 pm »
As others have said, CTC is the only organisation to combine campaigning, legal representation, third-party insurance and organise decent rides. This is more than enough reason to renew my membership when it expires next month. Like others, I'm not particularly happy about the charity transformation, but it really isn't the end of time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #42 on: 12 October, 2012, 04:46:29 pm »
As others have said, CTC is the only organisation to combine campaigning, legal representation, third-party insurance and organise decent rides. This is more than enough reason to renew my membership when it expires next month. Like others, I'm not particularly happy about the charity transformation, but it really isn't the end of time.

Err ... London Cycling Campaign does all of those as well.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #43 on: 12 October, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »

But only in London.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #44 on: 13 October, 2012, 08:52:31 am »

But only in London.

Well, it's membership can be held by anyone - you don't have to be resident in London.  The insurance covers you wherever you are, as does their legal representation.  A lot of their rides are outside London as well.

And their campaigning, whilst understandably London-centric, isn't all just about London.  A lot of what they do and campaign on affects the wider cycling community.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #45 on: 13 October, 2012, 09:58:21 am »
All I want is legal rep.& insurance cover.The LCG will be sufficient for me 'cause I don't need campaigning & ride organisation because my riding habit continues to decline for various reasons.

It's the manner in which the CTC Exec/Committee conducted themselves wrt the charity issue which alienates me to the notion of renewing my membership.

« Reply #46 on: 26 October, 2012, 10:24:06 am »
I reckon the legal cover is worthwhile now that I have used it.
I came off my Brompton on a country road that was covered in chippings from a farmer's drive.
From the scene I phoned CTC who told me what to do - photo's with measurements, call police and highways for report numbers, and inform the farmer.

The appointed solicitor was from a national company but based in Birmingham. He is a cyclist, as is the doctor he organised to investigate my bruises and who shared a couple of roads in SW Shropshire I hadn't explored.
£250 to cover the cost of broken helmet, torn clothing and pretzelled front wheel, and another £850 for bruises and anxiety over small wheel too easily brought to a crunching halt. I didn't know I was anxious until the doctor examined me. I never use the Brompton outside of town now but I thought I was being prudent.

The magazine and campaigning don't often seem relevant for my needs but it must work for some members, I guess. I think I would have been lucky to get a no win no fee solicitor that understood a cyclist's perspective when the NFU solicitor suggested that I was 30% to blame because I couldn't have been paying attention to the road.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #47 on: 26 October, 2012, 05:22:09 pm »
That sounds like a good result, Nobby :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #48 on: 27 October, 2012, 08:59:46 am »
That sounds like a good result, Nobby :thumbsup:

It was. The kids will get Christmas presents this year  ;D
I've got a second Cadenza for my town bike (I think the B will have to go) and am entertaining thoughts of a used Moulton.   :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #49 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:42:59 am »
I've not renewed my membership, but have had an email for the last 4 weeks telling me my membership is due to expire in 5 days and just received the latest magazine  :-\