Author Topic: I just got my bike tagged for nuffink!  (Read 2874 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
I just got my bike tagged for nuffink!
« on: 05 April, 2008, 02:04:50 pm »
As part of a local Cycle Watch crime reduction initiative.

Does this mean that my bike is now at risk from anyone who can hack into that database and find out where all the decent bikes are stashed?
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: I just got my bike tagged for nuffink!
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »
Yup and I shall shortly be selling the passwords to the db on ebay. No reserve!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

aglet

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »
Do say where.  How did you find out about this?  Is there someone I can lobby to organise this near me?

Googling "cycle watch" came up with some amazingly irrelevant information...

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2008, 01:51:32 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:04:50 pm »
A few of us returning along the lovely A10 after a CTC ride were simply nabbed on the way past by group of police who had a van set up for that purpose. Maybe contact the Met?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2008, 02:20:59 pm »
If they think I'm going to let them stamp my postcode under my bottom bracket shell they can... mumblemumble right off.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
If they think I'm going to let them stamp my postcode under my bottom bracket shell they can... mumblemumble right off.

It's a plastic RFID bung doo-dah that gets stuffed down the seat tube... it did occur to me that thieves are bound to know that's where RFIDs are located most of the time.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2008, 01:02:50 am »
Do say where.  How did you find out about this?  Is there someone I can lobby to organise this near me?

Googling "cycle watch" came up with some amazingly irrelevant information...

Most cycling groups in London have officers turning up regulary to offer tagging free of charge.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2008, 11:59:34 am »

It's a plastic RFID bung doo-dah that gets stuffed down the seat tube... it did occur to me that thieves are bound to know that's where RFIDs are located most of the time.

Guy turned up to do our bikes at CTC club night once.  He took one look at my Windcheetah and went pale.