Linked Events

• Track cycling in Derby: 02 May, 2015

Author Topic: Anyone fancy track cycling in Derby 2 May? (was "Track Cycling")  (Read 6667 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Anyone fancy track cycling in Derby 2 May? (was "Track Cycling")
« Reply #25 on: 09 April, 2015, 05:25:45 pm »
The arena says they have availability on 2 May, at 9, 10, 5 and 6pm. Do the current (or as yet undeclared) riders have a preference?

I can make the booking on your behalf, but they say they need your RL name, address, tel number and DOB. Seems a little bit overkill to me, but I had to provide that (along with my height) before I went on Saturday. I'm happy to collect and pass this info on (let me have a PM), but if you prefer not to let me have all that info (I will not be offended) you can go direct.

When I have the time sorted, I'll book for those that want me to book for them and let everyone else here know which session is booked, and people can make their own arrangements.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2015, 06:40:38 pm »
Hi, I could be interested in adding my name to the list if this is possible please. Many thanks

Paul

« Reply #27 on: 12 April, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »
That would be grand, GP.

The only preference for time I received was for one of the later sessions. Martin 109 sent me his details, and I've emailed those on to the arena along with mine and asked for the two of us to be booked onto an 'inspire' session at 5pm on 2 May.

If anyone else is still interested, including those who replied up thread, please contact the arena directly (01332 640011 or derbyarena@derby.gov.uk) and tell them you want to join us at 5pm on 2 May!

(I'll add this info to the OP too).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 12 April, 2015, 04:41:13 pm »
Works for me.  Email sent.

« Reply #29 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »
What would be helpful at this stage would be the postcode of the venue, so that the journey there can be planned.

S'alright - found it!  Venue

Paul

« Reply #30 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:59:11 am »
Works for me.  Email sent.

If you've not yet heard from them I think you'd better give them a call, Kim. Having had no reply to my email of Sunday I rang (01332 640011) and managed to get through this morning. They've not seen my email yet and the person I spoke to gave me the impression that it might be in with quite a lot of other emails that may not be getting the same attention as the ringing phones.

::-)

« Reply #31 on: 17 April, 2015, 06:03:25 pm »
Sorry for the delay - been away. I won't be booking with the velodrome this time, have a good time those who do go.

Paul

« Reply #32 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:35:37 pm »
Dear All

Just a reminder about this. Martin 109 and I are joining a session on 2 May. Kim may be coming too (are you still in, Kim?).

I've just been advised to turn up at 4.30 to set up. I don't really think there's 30 mins worth of setting up, but I don't resent being there early.

If you don't have shoes with look keo (or compatible) cleats you'll need need to rent a pair for £5.30 in addition to the session price.

Paul.

« Reply #33 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »
Dear All

Just a reminder about this. Martin 109 and I are joining a session on 2 May. Kim may be coming too (are you still in, Kim?).

I've just been advised to turn up at 4.30 to set up. I don't really think there's 30 mins worth of setting up, but I don't resent being there early.

If you don't have shoes with look keo (or compatible) cleats you'll need need to rent a pair for £5.30 in addition to the session price.

Paul.

Thanks also for PM, Paul.

I presume the session price includes bike-hire?

I'm pretty sure I have the required cleats - they were right for Newport, anyway!

See you there. :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 28 April, 2015, 01:55:56 pm »
Ah, that's this weekend!  I somehow missed the post about phoning them... trying now, but it's mostly engaged...

ETA:  Got through.  Sorted.  That awkward moment where you realise you don't know anyone's surnames :)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #35 on: 28 April, 2015, 02:09:35 pm »
Don't like the idea of hiring shoes  :hand:  with my dodgy knees I need my cleats exactly where I want them.  Pity you can't take your own pedals & shoes.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 28 April, 2015, 02:19:56 pm »
Don't like the idea of hiring shoes  :hand:  with my dodgy knees I need my cleats exactly where I want them.  Pity you can't take your own pedals & shoes.

Agreed.  With hired shoes the cleats won't compensate for my unequal leg length and it'll feel 'wrong', but I cycled like that for years and just sat on the saddle wonkily without noticing - it only became an issue with the straight pelvis enforced by a recumbent seat.

I figure it'll be fine for a couple of sessions.  In the extremely unlikely event of me taking it seriously, the cost of an appropriate set of shoes isn't that much in the scheme of things.

On the phone they seemed to imply that trainers (presumably used with toeclips) were also an option.  That probably extends to any recessed-cleat cycling shoe.  Doesn't solve the knee issue, of course.

Paul

« Reply #37 on: 29 April, 2015, 01:32:55 pm »
I presume the session price includes bike-hire?

It does. In fact, it includes lids and mitts too.

... phoning them... trying now, but it's mostly engaged...

Ye-es. I have found it quite hard to book this.I got through yesterday after letting the phone ring for almost 5 minutes. Previous calls and emails have been unanswered.

It's no good having a nice new track if no-one can get through to book time on it.

Pity you can't take your own pedals & shoes.

You can take your own shoes, but if you want to use one of their bikes, you have to have keo (or keo compatible) cleats.

And you can bring your own pedals, as long as they are attached to your own (track compatible) bike.

On the phone they seemed to imply that trainers (presumably used with toeclips) were also an option.  That probably extends to any recessed-cleat cycling shoe.

Yes, they implied the same to me before my first session. In fact, at the reception desk I was given the 'option' of hiring shoes. I explained that I had my own (road shoes with the cleats removed), which I could use with clips and straps, and I was allowed to go up to the track, where the coach (who qualified from the Mince No Words school of cycling) made it very clear that I was to go back to reception and hire a pair of cleated shoes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 29 April, 2015, 02:55:52 pm »
Ye-es. I have found it quite hard to book this.I got through yesterday after letting the phone ring for almost 5 minutes. Previous calls and emails have been unanswered.

[...]

Yes, they implied the same to me before my first session. In fact, at the reception desk I was given the 'option' of hiring shoes. I explained that I had my own (road shoes with the cleats removed), which I could use with clips and straps, and I was allowed to go up to the track, where the coach (who qualified from the Mince No Words school of cycling) made it very clear that I was to go back to reception and hire a pair of cleated shoes.

Obviously graduates of the Virgin Trains school of staff communications...

« Reply #39 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
I'm told there's a bit of a football game going on in Derby tomorrow, which may affect your travel plans.
See y'all there!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »
I'm told there's a bit of a football game going on in Derby right nextdoor to the velodrome tomorrow, which may affect your travel plans.
See y'all there!

Eeep.

Kickoff's at 12:15 though, so hopefully they'll be going the other way.  Parking might be an issue if you're planning to use a car.

Paul

« Reply #41 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:42:21 pm »
I don't follow football so I wasn't aware of this. The stadium is next door to the arena, but if kick-off is 12:15 and we're not getting there before 16:30 I imagine the traffic will be long gone quite some time (comfortably by 3pm?) before we need to be there.

See y'all there!

Excellent. I'll try to look YACF-y for identification. Not sure if there's any more than you, martin109 and kim coming, but the four of us will probably be identifiable by any others that turn up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:19:14 pm »
I will also endeavour to look YACF-y, though you probably all know what I look like already.

Currently debating whether to get the train from University, which avoids having to do anything at Mordor Central but gets into Derby far too early, or to ride into Mordor for a more sensibly timed and usually less crowded train.

« Reply #43 on: 02 May, 2015, 09:16:32 am »

Excellent. I'll try to look YACF-y for identification. Not sure if there's any more than you, martin109 and kim coming, but the four of us will probably be identifiable by any others that turn up.

I'm with my son, so that's a minimum of five of us - I'm not sure how to look YACFerish - I don't mind wearing my YACF jersey on the track, but I'm not walking through Pride Park wearing it! I will be sporting my usual splendid moustache, and I am a habitual beret wearer.
My wife & daughter-in-law will be there to spectate laugh, and hopefully act as impromptu photography crew.

« Reply #44 on: 02 May, 2015, 07:11:43 pm »
Thanks to Paul for setting this in motion!
A splendid time was had by all.
Kim had a wonderful grin on her face as she was whizzing round. I was paralysed with fear! Out of the entire group (yacfers & others) I think I was the only one who said that they probably wouldn't have another go!
Hopefully a link to some pictures will follow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:13:54 pm »
That was fun, let's do it again.

Paul

« Reply #46 on: 02 May, 2015, 08:15:23 pm »
Thanks to Paul for setting this in motion!
A splendid time was had by all.
Kim had a wonderful grin on her face as she was whizzing round. I was paralysed with fear! Out of the entire group (yacfers & others) I think I was the only one who said that they probably wouldn't have another go!
Hopefully a link to some pictures will follow.

Not at all - thanks (you and all) for coming.

You looked anything but paralysed to me (in fact, wasn't there a bit too much motion coming in to land from your first sortie?).

I liked our coach today. He was a bit more laid back than the guy I had last time. Not that he wasn't good too, but today's coach had a more accommodating style, while still getting us to the same sort of level as the previous one.

Looking forward to the pictures. Maybe see some of you again next time?

« Reply #47 on: 03 May, 2015, 09:32:58 am »
Thanks all for a great event.  Lovely to ride the track again after a gap of a couple of years, and it's reminded me that I need to do it again!

Thanks to Kim for company and navigational assistance on the run up the A38 from Mordor.  Having dropped her back in Mordor, I carried on down the A38 to Bristol.

Looking forward to pics and video when available. :thumbsup:

Paul

« Reply #48 on: 03 May, 2015, 11:13:52 am »
That was fun, let's do it again.

Our coach recommended 2 Inspire sessions before moving on to stage 2, though I imagine some first-timers could probably skip the second Inspire session.

In any event I've done stage 1 twice now and I'm itching to book a stage 2 session.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 03 May, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »
I think I'd benefit from another Inspire session (with knowledge of the women's saddle stash from the outset, to ride in the drops without whole lot of rather distracting pain).  It was a fairly steep learning curve (pun intended), and while riding on the track was a lot more intuitive and non-scary than I expected, my lack of fixie-fu was apparent.