Author Topic: New thread on CTC Forum  (Read 5254 times)

Re: New thread on CTC Forum
« Reply #50 on: 17 October, 2008, 11:10:03 am »
If I go on a CTC ride, it is to go on a ride with people with whom I have going on a ride in common. I don't necessarily want them telling me their life story or pouring out their latest woes/religious beliefs etc.

Attitudes like that described "I don't mind X as long as they don't talk about it" are reasonable as long as they are not discriminatory. It isn't necessarily a queer bashing or homophobic response, more a generally insular view. I'm sure you would be rather annoyed if an evangelical chrsitian brought up God at almost every opportunity.

Small talk for me is not deeply personal stuff like relationships. It is stuff like the weather, the bikes, alternative cafes etc.  

I agree entirely, in particular with the second paragraph. Since one of my best childhood girl friend lives happily with another woman, I meet regularly with her circles. We've known one another for 25 years and I have always been very supportive of her (real childhood friends!). Can I just say that I am however still made to feel uncomfortable in the presence of some of her friends for whom lesbianism is a badge they wear very aggressively. I sometimes wish that we could talk about other things and not dwell on sexual matters all the time (note I would be equally uncomfortable if heteros talked the same way). Inclusion works both ways. I hope it suddenly does not make me an homophobe.

Liz, I wouldn't think about vetting any of your discussion topics (maybe Charlotte's!  ;)).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #51 on: 17 October, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »
Of course inclusion works both ways, as does discrimination.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #52 on: 17 October, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
Oh well that's a new perjorative term I hadn't heard before.