Author Topic: "999 Miles of Rome and the South" with BRM approval  (Read 19001 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
Re: "999 Miles of Rome and the South" with BRM approval
« Reply #25 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:11:04 pm »
Email received today stating that the GPX tracks have been finalised and are available on the website. Look forward to reviewing them when I get home. :thumbsup:

Who else is still going to Rome and how are the preparations going?

I'm riding a 600 soon and then tapering with a 300k ride. Not really fit again for the hills yet but hoping that it was a wise choice for me to go for the 168 hour limit!
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #26 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:34:47 pm »
Yes indeed, I am looking forward to this and hard to believe it's les than a month away now!!  ;D
I'll be arriving early Friday evening and returning the following Saturday (BRM 150hr time limit).
Got a 600 tomorrow (Brimstone) and maybe something longer next weekend depending on how this one goes; then a 300 on 10 June. That's it really!
Bring on the Italian sun and hills!!  :o

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #27 on: 26 May, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
BCM was my warm up/jump start event. Riding to and back from Asparagus and Strawberries from London next weekend which should make up a 600k. Doing this slow and gentle, with 4 hours sleep and 3 Italian meals a day, plus 2 pizzas.
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

« Reply #28 on: 26 May, 2017, 05:11:48 pm »
I am in :thumbsup: nearly. 6,000miles in my legs and new cassettes arrived today ,  didn't fancy doing big climbs on 39x21!!!!

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #29 on: 26 May, 2017, 06:10:06 pm »
I'm in too. Hotel booked and flight arriving Saturday afternoon... hoping for a speedy journey into the centre of room for registration and unpacking my bike. Expect to take the full 150 hours for the BRM enjoying the scenery and food.

Asparagus and Strawberries is my next audax outing and then it'll be mostly on the turbo trainer at varying degrees of intensity until the last week of June.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

« Reply #30 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
Going down by train on the Friday, hoping to arrive midday on the Saturday. BCM my warm up. Feeling a bit hot in the recent good weather here has got me thinking ...

« Reply #31 on: 27 May, 2017, 11:56:16 pm »
Anyone else said yes to the transponder hire?

Pete Mas

« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2017, 12:35:08 am »
Yes to transponder from me. Haven't ordered any ride kit yet though might order some for post-ride souvenirs.

Arriving on Thursday afternoon, and resting before my Saturday evening start. At least I'm not flying BA! Will probably book the large taxi in advance from Ciampino to B& B Easy, where I'm staying near the start. Hope they wont object to storing my bike box for the week. Pity that registration and finish is some distance from the start. Might be worth asking the organisers to supply a GPX linking the two, in addition to the 'Bike Angel' service they are providing.

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 30 May, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
I'm registered for the BRM schedule but after having spent the last week touring (and three days travelling home from Nice, thank you, BA) it occurs to me I may be better off on the ARI. I'll have a good look at the route profile before deciding. It's not the climbing, it's the gradient! I fly out on Saturday mid morning so in theory could make the 7pm depart, assuming its allowable and my bike makes it in one piece (and on the right plane). :)

« Reply #34 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:42:08 pm »
+1 also to transponder.
Travelling out Friday arriving early evening, staying in Travestere, about 1km from the revised starting area, but now somewhat further away from the revised finish. Between the two, it's an easy journey along the cycle path on the Tiber river - traffic free and easy.

Pete Mas

« Reply #35 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:41:27 am »
With expiration on Wednesday, May 31, all subscribers to 999 Miles will have to send the following documentation in pdf or jpg format:
- Copy Card of the Cycling Club to which you are associated
- Copy of medical certificate
- Copy of the Form (downloadable from the site) signed

Send email to info@bikerando.com (do not use other addresses)

Subject: 999 - DOCUMENTS - SURNAME - NAME - (indicate 150 or 168 hours)

Thanks for collaboration

Just noticed this email, recd Friday! Any comments?

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:58:53 am »
It did tell us about the deadline in the instructions. I'm going to miss it with the medical note -- I'm using a revised version of the one provided for the Miglia.

Pete Mas

« Reply #37 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:06:19 am »
Does anyone know which form they are referring to (when they ask)?

'Copy of the Form (downloadable from the site) signed'...?

R.L.Stevenson

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #38 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:55:26 am »
That's a bit of a problem... i haven't received this email. Checked, junk and trash and nothing since the transponder email on 22nd - did everyone else receive this email?

Have written to the reply email and will await a response.

Pete Mas

« Reply #39 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:03:23 pm »
I sent an email saying I would be late with the med cert, and rec'd a reply:-

'OK Fabio.'

So the deadline is not set in stone.

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2017, 11:11:02 am »
I've now sent them all the documents, apart from the liability release form, which is in Italian and I'll do later.
Maybe they chased me first as I'm now 60?

Forgot to say, there's a good Medical Form template available for download on the Eroica website.

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #41 on: 12 June, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »
I've now sent them all the documents, and had them Okayed! :)

Has anyone booked any hotel rooms, BB's etc., or are you all relying on the basic dorms?

I had pre-booked a few rooms in February, but looking last night only one (in Sorrento) may be useful (which is fortunate, as they took advance payment). The others are in places no longer visited by the route, or a few kms off the final route, so I cancelled them.
I think I might just chance it and if I'm ahead of schedule just take an available room if I find one on the route at a convenient time.

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

« Reply #42 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:50:47 pm »
Hotel Rooms? Dorms? I'll be taking a space blanket... Nobody will be more surprised than me if I get more than a couple of hours sleep a night. :)

I'm currently on the BRM schedule which in retrospect seems a bit ambituous and I'd be assured of more company on the ARI schedule but my travel plans are long since set, flying out Saturday morning. Even if I could switch to the ARI schedule it would mean a 5am depart from home to start riding at 7pm, which feels like setting myself up to miss two nights sleep with a very stressful day inbetween, so I'm inclined to stick with the BRM group. For about 30 minutes or however long it takes them to drop me. :)

« Reply #43 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »
The dorms in the Miglia last year were rudimentary affairs ... concrete floors with fluorescent lighting in one case, a gravel car park in another (and no food) ... the space blanket was my salvation last year, letting me sleep in a field; this year I'll be taking a sleeping mat as well.  Looking at the guide, though, it seems like there might be a bit more on offer?

Manotea

« Reply #44 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:05:36 pm »
The dorms in the Miglia last year were rudimentary affairs ... concrete floors with fluorescent lighting in one case, a gravel car park in another (and no food) ... the space blanket was my salvation last year, letting me sleep in a field; this year I'll be taking a sleeping mat as well.  Looking at the guide, though, it seems like there might be a bit more on offer?
Thats the  impression, though how much space there will be for tail enders is another matter. For me, a daily shower is more important than a bed. I can sleep anywhere if I'm tired enough...

« Reply #45 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:21:43 pm »
The only think I know about Italian geography is the Alpy bit is in the far North, and the bottom bit is like a boot.

Is this likely to be a gentler parcours* than the 'Miglia?

<googles "National Park of Abruzzo" ... Wild Boar! Run away !!! >...
And wolves. And bears.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #46 on: 12 June, 2017, 08:23:20 pm »
Paul,
On last month's trip you displayed two very relevant skills:
- sleeping on a plane
- arriving in a dorm and waking everyone up.

I feel you can leverage these towards a successful strategy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pete Mas

« Reply #47 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:01:18 am »
Just wanted to point out the Italians are, as usual, flexible in their rules, so if you are entered for BRM you can still finish up to 18 hours later and go home with BRI
The rules stating:-
'At the starting line, depending on the options chosen by each, will be delivered 3 different travel cards:
 • one for randonneur who want to obtain the patent BRM (within 150 hours). If you exceed the maximum time you can always achieve the BRI patent.
 • one for randonneur who want to achieve the BRI patent (within 168 hours). If you exceed the maximum time you can always obtain the Diploma of GrandTourist.
 • one for the GrandTourists who wish to obtain the Diploma of GrandTourist (within 180 hours).'

Of course that assumes you won't miss your plane home by finishing late  :facepalm:

I'm not really bothered about time taken, just want to enjoy the ride, hence I entered BRI. I will try my best though to get back by or before 7pm on the Saturday (deadline for BRI), as I have a return flight booked on the Sunday morning.

As for dorms, I found on the Miglia in 2010 that we slower riders rocked up just as the fast guys were vacating the beds or mats. It was nice to stay in a real b&b one night for a few hours though -improved morale no end.

R.L.Stevenson

Manotea

« Reply #48 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:33:55 pm »
... however on the 999 there will be another wave of fast riders coming up behind you. Not me, obvs...

@Matt... though my real talent is getting 90 minutes sleep on a 90 minute ferry crossing. :)

« Reply #49 on: 13 June, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »
I've now sent them all the documents, and had them Okayed! :)

I have done the same, but have heard nothing back. I assume everything is OK, but will take hard copies just in case.