Author Topic: "Easy" 100km audax required.....  (Read 2857 times)

essexian

"Easy" 100km audax required.....
« on: 13 June, 2013, 01:14:41 pm »
Okay….perhaps I am going to get some flak for this but, can someone recommend me an “easy” 100km Audax. I have only completed one audax and that was “only” 52km.

Now I know that such rides are not supposed to be easy but a challenge for wo/men and bike, but its over 25 years since I did such a long ride, and am not very fit at the moment, so I am looking for a ride which I can target but won’t be put off if my “training” doesn’t go well. I often find the hardest thing about riding a bike is getting it out of the garage!!!!

Thus, I am looking for a ride which is mostly flat: I am not a hill climber so something with an AAA rating is to be avoided! I am talking of less than 700m climbing in the whole distance, preferably less than half that really!

I don’t mind travelling a reasonable distance so was wondering if there is a ride available from August onwards. I note the Milldenhall Rally ride. Is this suitable for my needs? I would also be interested in a perm if there is one which matches the above.

Re: "Easy" 100km audax required.....
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:18:25 pm »
May be a bit soon (30th June) but you don't really get much flatter than the Fairies flat ones (300, 200, 150, 100 and 50) from Bethersden in Kent:-

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-509/
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
Beaten to it by Greenbank; the Fairies ride fits the bill perfectly. 

Runs around the flat bits of Kent (there are some minor bumps, but if those turn out to be too much then I suggest taking up track riding!)  Some nice teas stops.  If the sun is out, they are truly joyous.

And, yes, the Mildenhall ride would also fit the bill.

By the way, flat does not equal easy.  A headwind means non stop hard pedalling.  Beware!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
Where abouts are you?
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:24:10 pm »
IIRC the Mildenhall 100 heads in the non-flat direction, but there's nothing seriously lumpy in that part of the world.  YMMV, but I reckon Suffolk-style mildly undulating is greatly preferable to grinding into a relentless fenland headwind for miles on end, if only because you get to make use of your gears/freewheel.

The Mildenhall Rally is usually worth visiting in its own right, if only as a gathering of YACFers.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2013, 01:57:12 pm »
Where abouts are you?

Clue's in the username?

essexian

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:00:15 pm »
May be a bit soon (30th June) but you don't really get much flatter than the Fairies flat ones (300, 200, 150, 100 and 50) from Bethersden in Kent:-

Thanks, that looks lovely (and takes me back to an area I last went to on holiday back in 1968/69) but as you say, its a bit too soon. I think I will keep this in mind for next year....perhaps I will be looking for a 150/200km ride then!

By the way, flat does not equal easy.  A headwind means non stop hard pedalling.  Beware!

Tell me about it! I did the Nova Radiers 50km Sportive across the mostly flat areas of the Weald Moors north of Telford last month.... into a 30km/h headwind for most of the way out. Horrible!
Where abouts are you?

Despite the name, Stafford...... long story concerning a set of twins and an angry grandfather*  ;D

IIRC the Mildenhall 100 heads in the non-flat direction, but there's nothing seriously lumpy in that part of the world.  YMMV, but I reckon Suffolk-style mildly undulating is greatly preferable to grinding into a relentless fenland headwind for miles on end, if only because you get to make use of your gears/freewheel.

The Mildenhall Rally is usually worth visiting in its own right, if only as a gathering of YACFers.

Ta. I used to live in Great Tey near Sudbury so know some of the lumps  ;D

* May not be true but its a story I like to tell!

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:16:33 pm »

Thanks, that looks lovely (and takes me back to an area I last went to on holiday back in 1968/69) but as you say, its a bit too soon. I think I will keep this in mind for next year....perhaps I will be looking for a 150/200km ride then!

Tell me about it! I did the Nova Radiers 50km Sportive across the mostly flat areas of the Weald Moors north of Telford last month.... into a 30km/h headwind for most of the way out. Horrible!
Where abouts are you?

Despite the name, Stafford...... long story concerning a set of twins and an angry grandfather*  ;D

Ta. I used to live in Great Tey near Sudbury so know some of the lumps  ;D

* May not be true but its a story I like to tell!

Then you are not far from,

Hampton in Arden,
Wythall,
Earlswood,
Wickhamford
&
Tamworth.

'From Clee to heaven' is a bit hilly.
Sorry Philip. He might be strong enough by then tho'.  :thumbsup:

So OP, there's your Brevet 500 sorted.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
Over & over the Trent from Darley Abbey.

A few hills on the 1st leg out to the cafe in Moira then a mostly flat & easy return to the start.
Plenty food at the finish & a cracking little pub nearby for a recovery drink or two.

I've ridden it 5 times  :)

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-419/

Prison run from Alfreton.

I've not ridden this myself but the Alfreton rides are always well run with a good start/finish point & excellent route sheets.  1000 metres of climbing.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-584/.

Flowers to furnace from Tamworth.  I've got to add this one really  ;)

I'll be route checking this soon & will let you know how hilly it is.  The ride isn't on until December so plenty time yet & possibly a good ride to keep you ticking over during the winter months.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-738/.

We also have the Charnwood challenge in September which is quite easy except for one gert big hill.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-487/.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:55:23 pm »
Okay….perhaps I am going to get some flak for this but, can someone recommend me an “easy” 100km Audax. I have only completed one audax and that was “only” 52km.

Now I know that such rides are not supposed to be easy but a challenge for wo/men and bike, but its over 25 years since I did such a long ride, and am not very fit at the moment, so I am looking for a ride which I can target but won’t be put off if my “training” doesn’t go well. I often find the hardest thing about riding a bike is getting it out of the garage!!!!

Thus, I am looking for a ride which is mostly flat: I am not a hill climber so something with an AAA rating is to be avoided! I am talking of less than 700m climbing in the whole distance, preferably less than half that really!

I don’t mind travelling a reasonable distance so was wondering if there is a ride available from August onwards. I note the Milldenhall Rally ride. Is this suitable for my needs? I would also be interested in a perm if there is one which matches the above.

The New Forest Day Out is usually a pretty gentle affair. The one in April/May is mostly fairly flat with a couple of short sharp climbs in it, the one in September (based on last year's ride) is mostly pretty flat with a single lump about half way around. Both have very forgiving minimum speeds (10kph) so you get a full 10 hours to finish.

There's also the London Sightseer rides - one in a couple of weeks and one in September - that are also pretty gentle in terms of climbing. But navigating parts of London can be a bit tricky, even with a GPS (at one point my GPS insisted I was in the middle of the Thames, presumably due to reflections off all the buildings).

There's a route I ride periodically that goes from London to Reading and back that works out about 110km the way I go, it follows the river for large sections so there's not much climbing with it. But since it's based on my house and a friend's house it may not have much attraction to others. I also take in a couple of busy roads in the interests of just getting there faster. It wouldn't take a huge effort to turn it into a more generic route starting from stations and using slightly different points for controls (throwing something together quickly in bikeroutetoaster yields a 52km route with 100 metres of climbing, so there and back would be 104km with 200m of climbing. I doubt you'll get much flatter than that short of riding round a track.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »
Can I suggest my audax - Suburban Breakout from London N2, on Sunday July 7th. The very few lumpy bits are short enough to be walked if need be, and you'll find a broad cross-range of riders. All info at www.centrallondonctc.org.uk/audax

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2013, 03:16:57 pm »
If I were you, I'd ride anything in the right place/time window. You can pretty much stick a pin in, and win. There really are very few bad 100k rides on the audax calendar. They're people's favourite local lanes, usually, and are the country highlights of the organisers' areas.

Last year we had to have a bike-swap-round and TT the last 10-15km of the Mildenhall 100 as it had a 15kph min speed and very slow service at the last control, but this year it's a much more sensible and accessible 12kph.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »

You could catch a train to Wolverhampton & ride to the start of this

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-968/

then DNF at Eccleshall or some other point that suits you to rack up the desired distance & ride directly to home.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »
or you could ride a Perm.See here

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/permanent.htm

I suspect that The Radway 100  would fill the bill for you.Nice 'n flat,good route.pleasant countryside,cafes en route.Job's a good 'un.
Remember that you can choose to start/finish a Perm at any control subject to the Organiser's agreement.
In this case I imagine Audley or Radway Green would be favourite for you.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »
My Cheltenham The Vale 100 Perm goes North to Alcester (nr Stratford) and is pretty flat with just a couple lumps to provide interest and views of the Vale of Evesham. 780m of climbing, partly because you climb over Cleeve Hill after Winchcombe (but you could route yourself a flatter detour). I even have a recent gps track to guide you. I will not suggest the Cotswold Corker 100 Perm at 1.75AAA!
Steve Poulton
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2013, 06:46:30 pm »
There's a 82km one in Hertfordshire this Sunday. No major hills worth worrying about.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-13/

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2013, 07:40:08 am »
All the pops mentioned, are SO easy, I've ridden them without needing the inner chainring.  ;D

:D ;D :D ;D :D

« Reply #17 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:21:34 am »
Gerry's Autumn Brevet in October just north of York is a superb ride.   There are a couple of hills but majority flattish and easy rolling.  We won the Lantern Rouge last year and aim to defend our crown this year.    ;D

« Reply #18 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
Gerry's Autumn Brevet in October just north of York is a superb ride.   There are a couple of hills but majority flattish and easy rolling.  We won the Lantern Rouge last year and aim to defend our crown this year.    ;D

That will be an easy task. Ride the route and sit in Betty's until its a narrow squeak to finish within time.