Author Topic: Hanging guitars on the wall  (Read 588 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hanging guitars on the wall
« on: 09 May, 2024, 10:33:51 am »
I don't, but I understand why people do.

The question is, given the woeful propensity of Gibsons and similar designs to suffer from headstocks breaking off, isn't this a bit risky?  AIUI some other makes with headstocks that lean back have more wood at this point, but Gibson rout most of it away for the truss rod cover.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Hanging guitars on the wall
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2024, 10:47:41 am »
The whole "Gibson headstocks always fall off!" is a bit of a myth that has just got out of control. It only really applies to Gibsons of a certain era. And if you have one it's worth so much money that you'd never let it out of its case anyway!

Me and an old housemate used to hang our guitars up back in the day. It kept them out of the way, but more importantly, looked cool  :)

Guitar shops don't seem to have any problems...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2024, 10:50:07 am »
Bearing in mind the strings are putting approximately 120lbs of tension the weight of the guitar on the headstock is relatively small.

Even if the guitar in question is a Gibson :-)

I’d be more worried about the security of the fitting in the wall, and there have been some instances of the Hercules ones failing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2024, 05:13:19 pm »
No room left on our walls, they're all light fixtures and bookshelves.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2024, 06:27:09 pm »
My sister-in-law had seven guitars on her wall when I last visited and counted.

I don’t know if she ever plays any of them now.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2024, 06:39:44 pm »
Here's mine, Hercules brackets from local guitar shop. Hanging up for nearly 18 months now

P1050001 by ian, on Flickr

P1050002 by ian, on Flickr

P1050003 by ian, on Flickr

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2024, 09:34:46 pm »
Those strings are triggering my OCD  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2024, 10:46:55 pm »
If this is a humidity and temperature-controlled room then hang away to your heart’s delight. If not then be very careful how far and how quickly you change the room’s air. A north-facing room will naturally be more stable than a south-facing room.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2024, 11:17:15 pm »
Mine are hung on a wall inside a cupboard. The herculeses are attached to a batten which is attached to the wall by three or four substantial screws.

They are not Gibsons, one is a PRS hollow body electric with a piezo pickup, the other is a relatively inexpensive yamaha acoustic
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2024, 11:32:12 pm »
If this is a humidity and temperature-controlled room then hang away to your heart’s delight. If not then be very careful how far and how quickly you change the room’s air. A north-facing room will naturally be more stable than a south-facing room.

House is insulated to f*** and temperature/humidity are pretty constant. Ok, I'm jut lucky ( I didn't realise it was a factor).

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2024, 11:50:10 pm »
I always thought the Gibson head breaks were caused mostly by the fact that the head angle plus the neck angle means the top of the head extends behind the flat of the back of the guitar. If it falls backwards the tip of the head hits the floor first and the head goes ping. Years ago I had a Guild with a similar profile and had the heeby jeebies if anyone leaned it against an amp, or laid it flat on the floor.

I had a 12-string acoustic that did the opposite of that - it fell forward, flat on its front, and the shock and the string tension destroyed the neck by ripping the head off forwards.

These days my guitars are either on a wheeled stand or in gig bags, and the acoustic stays in a hard case when not in use.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2024, 09:39:22 pm »
Hung for space reasons,  guitar brackets off eBay, selected for fixing plate, been up there a while now, no apparent issues that I can tell. The uke rack is homebrewed, dowel through a batten with a bit of old inner tube rolled on the end for security. See if you can guess which is the 3 year old granddaughter's ;) 

The guitar not hung up is the one on its way back to the caravan.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2024, 10:39:16 pm »
The flying V?
My uke is in its case on a shelf, don't play it very often these days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens