Author Topic: Yad Moss/St Moritz  (Read 4591 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Yad Moss/St Moritz
« on: 17 September, 2019, 10:09:07 pm »
Yay! I'm the first person to enter the Yad Moss/St Moritz 200km event Deano's planning for 18/01/2020. [What the heck was I thinking.]

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-838/

You know you want to. Yad Moss in the snow. Just think how much easier LEL21 will be after this.
Train hard, fight easy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Yad Moss/St Moritz
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:15:15 am »
I reckon that could be quite a hard fight.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:47:03 am »
"I knew I should have worn my overbooties"

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
Guaranteed gritted roads!

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:08:33 pm »
I was up at Yad Moss snowslope for the AGM at the end of August. We haven't had a really good year for a decade, so we're hoping that Deano will attract the snow. I missed the best ever day at Yad Moss, which was Jan 4th 2010, but captured the days surrounding. The shot of us digging our way through a snowdrift towards the end might be of interest.

The Cumbria side gets cleared by the County Council Unimog. The Durham side is in the hands of local farmers who subcontract to the council. Here's a video of those Good Times.

https://youtu.be/8B10YmpNDaQ

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:28:13 pm »
Jan 2010 was a glorious time in the snow.  We were up in the Cairngorms over that New Year.  Eventually towards the end of the week, every slope was given the maximum avalanche rating and we had to retreat back to civilisation / Aviemore.

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:55:06 pm »
One day in March 2010 I traversed from the top of the Yad Moss tow to cross the road at the cattle grid on the Cumbria/Durham border. From there I followed the track to the Tees, and on to the top of Cross Fell.

The temperatures had been low enough to slow the transformation to spring snow. So I descended in a series of graceless snowploughs on breakable crust. I was on my own, so a fall might have been quite serious. I came back to a gully opposite the car park, which required some energetic climbing.

I'm not a particularly good skier downhill, and my skills with a map pale beside Heather's. However, I'm very good uphill, and I'm good at reading terrain if I can see it. The interesting thing about the North Pennines plateau is how much snow there is to drift around in the wind. That's why if it stays cold enough, and the wind is right, Yad Moss gets refreshed with powder. Those conditions also cause 8 foot drifts at Hartside.

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:09:50 pm »
See, you may be putting up these photos* to give people THE FEAR, but I think people will be inspired :D

*None of which are on the route, by the way

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:14:57 pm »
I reckon Graeme is already browsing for snow shovels and the Continental winter tyres for bikes....

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:31:26 pm »
I entered because I fancied a ride with some company during winter. :-D

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:41:54 pm »
Pair of marathon winters and you're sorted...

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »
My goodness - could you imagine the racket a group ride on spiked tyres on tarmac would make? Conversation would be impossible! Thankfully, they tend to go quiet once you're riding on sheet ice.

« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:12:23 pm »
Thankfully, they tend to go quiet once you're riding on sheet ice.

The riders or the tyres?

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2019, 06:14:29 pm »
Thankfully, they tend to go quiet once you're riding on sheet ice.

The riders or the tyres?

Clenching requires focus and concentration...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:14:55 pm »
the grip with spikes is good enough that you don't have to worry when they go quiet.
What you have to worry about is the fact that you forget you have them once they go quiet and you stop and step off the bike...

« Reply #16 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:15:21 pm »
This is definitely on the route.

https://youtu.be/jJ4Y2fx3rtU

« Reply #17 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:29:29 pm »
See? Clear roads :)

« Reply #18 on: 19 September, 2019, 08:33:17 am »
It gets a bit breezy up there too.
On one crossing, I was literally hanging on to my bike with one hand and a snow pole in the other, while I gasped in enough air to battle my way to the next pole.
Never under-estimate the North Pennines....

« Reply #19 on: 22 September, 2019, 12:11:32 pm »
It gets a bit breezy up there too.
On one crossing, I was literally hanging on to my bike with one hand and a snow pole in the other, while I gasped in enough air to battle my way to the next pole.
Never under-estimate the North Pennines....

You'll be fine. There's a shootin' hut at the top which is usually left open (or a phone box near Harwood if that's too luxurious).

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 22 September, 2019, 03:44:22 pm »
Does the sun set on the summit of Yad Moss when the clocks change in October? A thick mist descends and the sounds of hounds can be heard close by till the clocks switch again end of March.

« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »
How many takers for this little jaunt then?

I’m hoping to have an allotment committee meeting on the same day...

« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2019, 04:54:44 pm »
25 or so entries at the mo'. Space for more!

« Reply #23 on: 27 December, 2019, 04:59:55 pm »
I'll see how fit I feel and what the forecast is on 17th - but the bikes about ready even if I'm not.

« Reply #24 on: 27 December, 2019, 05:01:21 pm »
It might be full by then - I have to order brevet cards soon, and I don't want to over-order and be stuck with a dozen unusable brevets.