Author Topic: Fitting Campag Power Torque Chainset (Athena 11 speed triple)  (Read 7244 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Chainset out of the box seem to have a superfluous (to me anyway) 2mm thick spacer on the axle up against the chainset. If I leave this on, the drive side won't go in far enough to locate the securing clip in the holes. Without it no problem - fits perfectly. Clip goes in nicely. However on tightening the non-drive side crank on the spline I am left with 2-3mm of spline still showing when the nut is fully home.

Looks like bracket shell spacers are required. Seems possible the two things are related but I can't see how. The superfluous spacer will fit on the non-drive side of course but then the spring and seal on that side won't compress far enough. The chainset declares itself a fit for 68mm bracket like mine with the appropriate bearing cups, which I have fitted.

Any clues please?

Re: Fitting Campag Power Torque Chainset (Athena 11 speed triple)
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2017, 09:31:42 pm »
Not got a wavy washer?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: Fitting Campag Power Torque Chainset (Athena 11 speed triple)
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:54:56 pm »
Cracked it. Excuse me if i ramble but....Your post made me have another think or three. Yeah, that wavy washer is the spring I'm on about inboard of the outer non drive seal. With the non drive side fully on the spline I was 2 - 2.5mm short of compressing the seal and wavy washer flush to the bracket. A suitable BB spacer behind the cup would do the trick a la Shimano MTB . Anyway I set up the FD and indexing with no spacer on the drive side and the chain line is good. It would be fairly standard for Campag  to have omissions in the instructions not to mention their online videos which miss out bits of the procedure. The apparently gash axle spacer  which doesnt feature in any of the above goes over the spline after the wavy washer and seal, filling my gap. Then on with the crank and it all snugs down and seals. It looks odd with a black seal, bright alloy spacer then black crank but I guess the right hand crank on a triple is a little further out and a slightly longer axle and this spacer push the other side out to match. Luckily I have a £10 Screwfix puller for the crank😊