Author Topic: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)  (Read 49989 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bikes on Class 800 trains (GWR)
« Reply #350 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:51:01 am »
Putting it in a box sounds marginally less arduous for grandma utilirider and her e-bike than dismantling it, to my mind. From that perspective, UK trains are actually better!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #351 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:53:59 am »
Putting it in a box sounds marginally less arduous for grandma utilirider and her e-bike than dismantling it, to my mind. From that perspective, UK trains are actually better!

Still pretty awful tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #352 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:56:10 am »
Is it green, if a passenger takes up another passenger's space with a bike?

The alternative is a car journey, and it’s only zero sum if the train is at 100% capacity. For the person without a bike they have the option of a bus to remain green if train full. But unless advance or with bike you never book a specific train and therefore no one displaces you from a train.

I have yet to see a UK train at 100% capacity since the pandemic kicked off. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the motorways.

The pandemic isn't normality, and besides, that's an effect of the public's view of getting infected. It can change and will do.

As for the 100%, the problem with bike spaces is that they aren't people spaces. So the train has less capacity, unless people stand in the bike areas. Which is fine if you run a rail system that isn't at capacity, but lately parts of the network have been or are being reengineered to create more capacity. Take out first class, take out tables, take out buffet cars, take out shops and replace with trollies, have airline seating arrangements, more carriages, more platforms (like Reading, which was a huge bottleneck on the GWR). If you have done all that to increase capacity, how strong must the justification be to take capacity out for bikes?

There isn't one alternative, there are several options - one of which its bike on train, another is a car journey, another is not to travel, and another, to have bikes at each end of the journey (possibly generic hire ones).

It is simpler than it looks.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #353 on: 19 May, 2022, 04:22:35 pm »
Meanwhile, this is a photo described as "a DB TfW train" that someone shared on WhatsApp. The difference is... almost entire.

Looks like a DVT as we used to enjoy on East Coast

Aye, that's a Mark 4 Driving Van Trailer, which were previously with LNER (and their predecessors). I'd know those bike racks anywhere! Normal capacity 5 bikes, but could be exceeded without too much problem.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #354 on: 20 May, 2022, 08:14:32 am »
I’ve always found the boxing or bagging a bike for a train puts me off the journey. Usually because there’s no apparent supply of boxes, which wouldn’t otherwise fit in my panniers.

I imagine mucking about with the steering and pedals is off putting for quite a lot of people too.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #355 on: 22 May, 2022, 06:17:06 pm »
Is it these ones?  If so - it was a struggle to get my bike in the left hook with 37c tyres on.  I helped the chap on the right put his bike on the hook which had more conventional 25c tyres iirc.  Very rubbish! you can see how bad the fit was by the fact his bike is on such an angle.  The hooks do not move, so the bike needs to move to get the angle to fit the rim under the hook... quite a job! This was the train from Cardiff to Paddington iirc.

I attended a talk about Victorian era cycling and this slide came up which I thought apt... (Circa 1900)

Regards,

Joergen

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #356 on: 22 May, 2022, 08:42:51 pm »
You got two in?  You deserve a medal.

We tried with two tourers and failed.  The train manager had a go and failed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #357 on: 25 May, 2022, 08:28:47 pm »
Yep, and you can take a bike on an ICE or a TGV if you box it up. Which, is quite frankly. A fucking stupid policy.

I was reading this topic because I want to take a bike on a train from Harwich International to somewhere near Debden in August, but ICE's (and TGV's?) take bikes these days on some services, even unboxed. At least I could book a bike spot on an ICE from Passau to Cologne.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #358 on: 25 May, 2022, 08:43:40 pm »
Yep, and you can take a bike on an ICE or a TGV if you box it up. Which, is quite frankly. A fucking stupid policy.

I was reading this topic because I want to take a bike on a train from Harwich International to somewhere near Debden in August, but ICE's (and TGV's?) take bikes these days on some services, even unboxed. At least I could book a bike spot on an ICE from Passau to Cologne.

ICE 4 stock allows for bikes. AFAIK ICE1/2/3/3m does not have bike space.

The newest version of the TGV has space for 2 bikes. The older ones do not.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #359 on: 27 June, 2022, 05:32:03 pm »
The LNER train I got last Friday had the modified bike compartments shown upthread.  I didn't get a chance to try hanging my bike because the guard insisted on doing it for me*  ;D.  He said the whole fleet isn't changed over yet but should be soon.

* The whole crew seemed to be on a charm offensive that day.  It was quite disconcerting, although welcome.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #360 on: 19 May, 2023, 10:48:52 am »
“If someone is out there who is usefully litigious, you have an easy case to make if you take it to the appropriate authorities. Those vertical bike hangars are discriminatory, and they breach a variety of legislation. Sue them!”
Says a "rail engineer".
https://road.cc/content/news/why-taking-your-bike-train-such-faff-301335

« Reply #361 on: 19 May, 2023, 02:12:47 pm »
“If someone is out there who is usefully litigious, you have an easy case to make if you take it to the appropriate authorities. Those vertical bike hangars are discriminatory, and they breach a variety of legislation. Sue them!”
Says a "rail engineer".
https://road.cc/content/news/why-taking-your-bike-train-such-faff-301335

Well indeed. I'm sure they fail on many levels - statutory regulations, guidance on accessibility, basic user friendliness, etc.

Probably the only design brief fulfilled was "How to fit the fewest bikes in the smallest space", with "Make it as difficult to use as possible" coming a close second.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #362 on: 19 May, 2023, 02:14:29 pm »
You left out "Hold a consultation" (which I believe Kim was part of) "and ignore the findings".  ;)