Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 59650 times)

Phil W

Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »
What kind of chain ring guard do you need up front to take part?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 04 October, 2019, 06:29:13 pm »
What kind of chain ring guard do you need up front to take part?

A by no means exhaustive list of things that I've seen people using:

-Bash ring larger than biggest chainring
-HPVelotechnic-style enclosed chainring guard
-ICE-style open chainring guard
-Very obviously home-made equivalents of the above
-Creative bodgery featuring materials such as wood, bamboo, metal sheet, multi-layered cross-ply Correx, and in one instance, a bit of plastic curtain runner
-Fairings that enclose the chainset

Basically, if it stands a reasonable chance of preventing chainring-impailment, it'll do.   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 20 October, 2019, 10:01:55 pm »
And congratulations to Kim on becoming a member of the BHPC's politburo  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 20 October, 2019, 10:37:19 pm »
And congratulations to Kim on becoming a member of the BHPC's politburo  :thumbsup:

Heather warned me that that was likely to happen once I knew how to do all the things...   :facepalm:

I retaliated with Ideas™ about categories, because  a) the women's class needed dragging into the Century of the Fruitbat  and  b) they weren't confusing enough already.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 02 February, 2020, 05:25:13 pm »
Since I'm in calendar mode, let's bump this thread with a link to the now-finalised 2020 race season: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Events/2020.aspx

(Dates have been added to the YACF calendar.)

A late kickoff this year, which will delight anyone who suffered bilateral calf cramps in the freezing rain at Curborough   :hand:

Maybe see some of you at Hillingdon...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 17 March, 2020, 08:58:55 pm »
Maybe see some of you at Hillingdon...

Or not.  We've cancelled it, and will probably be cancelling further 2020 events in due course.

http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/cancellation_topic7027_post66255.html refers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:41:22 am »
Okay, we're un-cancelling the racing, starting with a confirmed[1] double bill at Darley Moor on the 30th and 31st of August (Sunday and Monday of the bank holiday weekend).  Gravesend and Hillingdon are a work in progress, but we're hoping they'll be able to go ahead too.

Keep an eye on http://www.bhpc.org.uk/events.aspx and the BHPC forum for more details, but in the interests of COVID-19 mitigation, we're planning to do the entire sign-on process online in advance (to avoid queues and handling cash etc.), and are considering alternative race formats to minimise the risk of coronavirus transmission.  Note that Darley Moor aren't permitting spectators[2], but if someone's driving a race participant to the site or similar, that would be fine.

Meanwhile, if you've failed to renew your BHPC membership because you usually do it in time for the start of the racing season, the treasurer would be delighted[3] if you were to wander your way over to the online shop and do it now.  You'll also avoid missing out on the next issue of Laidback Cyclist.

[1] FCVO confirmed.  Obviously if the government impose new restrictions, this is all subject to change.
[2] Probably a good time to reiterate that you don't have to be in any way athletic to race.
[3] Understatement.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2020, 10:27:34 am »
Kim, do you know what facilities are available at the Darley Moor circuit, specifically toilets and showers? I have not found relevant details on the Darley Moor circuit website.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #33 on: 20 July, 2020, 10:58:23 am »
I think I shall continue with my silent membership for yet another year.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:31:36 am »
Kim, do you know what facilities are available at the Darley Moor circuit, specifically toilets and showers? I have not found relevant details on the Darley Moor circuit website.

This is a good question, and one of my plans for the 2020 season was to start collecting access information about the venues for the benefit of our attenders.

Anyway, my experience of Darley Moor is that they have a draughty toilet block (think school toilets from the 70s, only without the tracing paper or aroma of Ajax) near the entrance to the track area, with several standard-sized cubicles and a cold water sink.  Drinking water available from a tap outside.

There's at least one similar block further away in the camping / car park area, no idea if the facilities are different.  If there are showers or accessible toilets, I haven't noticed them.

« Reply #35 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:49:59 am »
I saw on the BHPC facebook post announcing camping that the campsite will have toilet facilities but no shower facilities. They didn't mention accessibility.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 20 July, 2020, 11:47:05 pm »
No showers is a bit grim for two days of racing plus travel. I will look for nearby alternatives.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:52:21 pm »
Just a heads-up to say that online sign-on for Darley Moor is now available in the BHPC web shop.  You can also book camping for the Saturday and/or Sunday nights. (Facilities are a field, some toilets and a tap.)

Bookings are fully refundable up to the Thursday before the race, or in the event of the race being cancelled.

If you haven't raced with the BHPC in the last year, I'll email you to let you know your allocated race number when I get round to processing[1] the sign-ons, so you should have plenty of time to fettle yourself some number boards.  If you're coming to more than one day of racing in a season, it's cheaper to join the BHPC.

https://shop.bhpc.org.uk/bhpc-race-sign-on

[1] The process is not yet fully automated, and looking at some of the answers people give to ostensibly simple questions like "What's your Name?" and "Are you a new rider?", it's probably better if it stays that way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 25 August, 2020, 07:08:01 pm »
*Bump* because registrations close at 9pm on Thursday.  The jam-filled Babbage engine says we're going to have a decent turn-out.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #39 on: 25 August, 2020, 07:46:17 pm »
would have really loved to be there, to actually ride 'hilda on t'track, but i'm deep in the throws of No1 daughters swanky retro flat refurb, in That London.,  6 weeks in and 1 day off  :-\,  I finished the last of the  plastering  today, tomorrow will be painting and kitchen unit assembly.  I did think of bunking off for a couple of days, but time is precious, and 'moving in' is looming...  Enjoy all, I hope to make the next one.

« Reply #40 on: 25 August, 2020, 08:12:15 pm »
Think you need a chain guard of some sort to take part.  I know I’d be really slow not being a racer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 25 August, 2020, 08:41:18 pm »
Think you need a chain guard of some sort to take part.

Yes, you need at least one brake, a helmet and no dangerous sharp bits.  Beyond that, pretty much anything goes.

See 'safety' on http://www.bhpc.org.uk/how-to-race-with-bhpc.aspx

I know I’d be really slow not being a racer.

You'd be in good company.  Here are the results for the 40 minute race at Darley Moor last year.  This time we're going to have some children in pedal cars, and a number of handcyclists, so I expect there'll be some much lower speeds.  (Also, I'm bringing an extra wheel, which should slow me down a fair bit.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 31 August, 2020, 09:53:00 pm »
That went quite well.  Couldn't have wished for better weather, especially today.   :thumbsup:

I've just added today's results to http://www.bhpc.org.uk/Results/2020.aspx

As predicted, the extra wheel did indeed slow me down a fair bit.  I'm now allowed to take painkillers for my ill-adjusted mesh seat injuries...   :facepalm:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 31 August, 2020, 10:56:51 pm »

Are there any photos?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 31 August, 2020, 11:22:11 pm »
Are there any photos?

Probably.  I only have photos of boring things like toilets and doorways.  The HPV photography enthusiasts don't get nagged as persistently at the timing team, so they're probably waiting until they've had some sleep before uploading anything.

I think John Williams was filming for his Youtube channel, though he tends to focus on individual machines and their riders rather than the event itself.  (He also DNSed the 2-hour race and went home early citing post-COVID exhaustion, so that may take a while.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 02 September, 2020, 11:52:43 am »

Are there any photos?

Jeff James, he say clicky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 02 September, 2020, 12:09:01 pm »

Are there any photos?

Jeff James, he say clicky.

Beware that you may need sunglasses for teh mitey ORANGE paint of the Trinity Zoomers.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 03 September, 2020, 06:29:07 pm »
Beware that you may need sunglasses for teh mitey ORANGE paint of the Trinity Zoomers.

I'm in the Netherlands, I am almost immune to orange, I don't need sunglasses for OH MY GOD MY EYES!!!!!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 03 September, 2020, 07:59:07 pm »

I'm in the Netherlands, I am almost immune to orange, I don't need sunglasses for OH MY GOD MY EYES!!!!!

It was brighter in real life, the camera doesn't really do it justice.  Suspect that they could obtain useful propulsive force from it if they painted the front a different colour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
Love the Pedersen.  :thumbsup: And some of the other offbeat machines. But I think the microlight is cheating by using an engine.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.