Author Topic: "Rain"  (Read 5950 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
"Rain"
« on: 17 September, 2019, 09:58:01 pm »
I'm trying to place where something occurred, the road turned wet and it spitted with rain a bit.
Now obviously unless you were in my vicinity at that exact point in time if you encountered this weather you'd probably be in a different location to me, but since I'm fairly sure it was on the way to Brest, I'm convinced it happened to me somewhere between Villaines and Fougers and either before or after I had a run in with an idiot (someone somewhere is saying some idiot almost crashed into the back of them)...

So... does that sound a bit link the conditions anyone found on the first morning? I have no photos in which the road surface is even damp.

Re: "Rain"
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:25:36 pm »
I had rain just east of Illifaut at about 8.30pm on Monday evening. Lasted about five minutes max - not heavy.

Stephen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »
Rob Hawks described the rain on the Monday night to us at Quedillac on the return.

https://youtu.be/bG66HpeGDtw

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2019, 12:14:38 am »
Hm, I was at Tinteniac at 1411 on the Monday so missed that.
Although now I think of it I was heading towards the sun so it might have been late afternoon, in which case the clouds of concern would have been behind me.

And I now realize that Ventusky lets you see the rain radar history, which suggests the only rain was around Tinteniac and Quedilliac on Monday afternoon/evening.
I must have just missed it.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2019, 05:34:23 am »
There was some rain when I climbed Roc h'Trevezel on the way ou early afternoon on monday. Rained properly out there just a bit earlier at midday monday.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:23:34 am »
There was some rain when I climbed Roc h'Trevezel on the way ou early afternoon on monday. Rained properly out there just a bit earlier at midday monday.

Pah, the radar doesn't show any more than 1mm over 3 hours out there, that's not Rain that's "Rain" just like the subject line...  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
I saw a tweet by a rider saying it was raining at I think St Nics...  I remember being surprised to read it... we were somewhere ahead at that point. I recalled it was a bit lumpy round there so figured some localised weather going on.

I could do some digging if desperate :)

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:35:30 am »
As Rob Hawks points out in this interview with Heather, there was a weather cell which followed some of the 84 hour riders on Monday.

So it may have deposited 1mm in 3 hours at a static point, but if you were under a cloud moving at 20kph or so, and the shower deposited 1mm in a 10 to 15 minute period, then you'd get 2 to 3 mm in 30 minutes if moving at 20kph.

You would also experience dry roads, as the front edge of a 1mm shower is not a lot. Perhaps riders from California have a different view of the weather. In the UK we don't often get long views.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:45:26 am »

I encountered similar a little later on.   As I got to Brest at 21:30ish I suspect it was a little damp around 19:00-20:00.   I recall putting my gilet on for warmth but not needing a rain coat.

It was also briefly damp on the first night before Villaines but, again, not enough to need to cape up.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2019, 11:01:19 am »
As Rob Hawks points out in this interview with Heather, there was a weather cell which followed some of the 84 hour riders on Monday.

So it may have deposited 1mm in 3 hours at a static point, but if you were under a cloud moving at 20kph or so, and the shower deposited 1mm in a 10 to 15 minute period, then you'd get 2 to 3 mm in 30 minutes if moving at 20kph.

You would also experience dry roads, as the front edge of a 1mm shower is not a lot. Perhaps riders from California have a different view of the weather. In the UK we don't often get long views.

I'm taking the piss of course.
Somewhere an Monsoon country rider is reading this laughing at my suggestion that the boundary between "rain" and rain is 1mm.

There was probably a fair bit of localized precipitation that would be too light to be caught by the radar, had the few spits of rain I encountered lasted more than 5 mins my perception of it would probably be different from what it is.

« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2019, 11:11:28 am »
LEL 2009 had the full suite of rain, with a full-on Atlantic storm, and intense localised downpours. One had me sheltering under a bridge. But it was warm rain.

PBP 2007 was more uncomfortable. But I'd done the Ower the Edge 400 and the Daylight 600 as qualifiers, so was pretty much immune. I did end up with mild bronchitis through carrying on riding in September.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:52:14 pm »
LEL 2009 had the full suite of rain, with a full-on Atlantic storm, and intense localised downpours. One had me sheltering under a bridge. But it was warm rain.

PBP 2007 was more uncomfortable. But I'd done the Ower the Edge 400 and the Daylight 600 as qualifiers, so was pretty much immune. I did end up with mild bronchitis through carrying on riding in September.

What was the Ower the Edge route?

I have a card for the Twilight and thoughts on how to ride it avoiding the A85/A82 at busy o'clock but other stuff* keeps getting in the way.
* Wind and rain mostly.

« Reply #12 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:00:53 pm »

Beattock, Samye Ling, Selkirk, over some high hill, St Mary's Loch, Drumlanrig, Newton Stewart, Dumfries, Beattock. There were some 'secret' controls, which weren't secret, as they were on the card.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 18 September, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »

Beattock, Samye Ling, Selkirk, over some high hill, St Mary's Loch, Drumlanrig, Newton Stewart, Dumfries, Beattock. There were some 'secret' controls, which weren't secret, as they were on the card.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2019, 07:24:57 pm »
I was an 84 hour rider and encountered a heavy rain shower at La Baussaine, just west of Tinténiac at 19:45 on the Monday evening. Luckily there was a public toilet where I took cover for a few minutes and took a photo of the rainbow before carrying on when the rain stopped. The roads were soaking for a while after, but for me that was the only rain on the ride.

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2019, 08:44:08 pm »
I'm another 84h rider, and I got caught between Dinge and Tinteniac on the D20 at a tiny place called Trigory. Fortunately, it had some large oaks that I sheltered under. It hosed it down for 5 or 10 mins, which felt like a long time to be stopped, but pretty soon, it passed. I guess this was at 8.50pm. It was coming down very hard and most of us were hugging trees, although there were a few hardcore folks riding still.