Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 76812 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #575 on: 15 June, 2022, 01:07:10 pm »
For controlling, I run an AutoHotkey script on the laptop and have a Bluetooth remote button thingy on my handlebars so that I can navigate, activate power-ups, take photos, adjust workout bias etc without having to fiddle with the laptop.  There's a good guide here.

Now that is a great idea. Thanks!

HRM is essential if you're interested in racing - most races won't give you a classified 'zwiftpower' finish if you don't have a monitor.  I use a Garmin Dual - connection can be flaky at times.

I also bought a Garmin Dual, it should arrive sometime next week. Unfortunately I am a long, long way from being able to race, very overweight at the moment. I just want to get used to the platform and maybe try some workouts. Riding on the trainer still feels a little odd, somewhat unstable though it really isn't.

"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #576 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:13:10 pm »
Unfortunately I am a long, long way from being able to race, very overweight at the moment. I just want to get used to the platform and maybe try some workouts. Riding on the trainer still feels a little odd, somewhat unstable though it really isn't.
There are regular time trial races on Zwift, on the pan-flat Tempus Fugit course and the hilly Bologna course, and they're good fun in a masochistic way, as well as being a great way to benchmark your fitness.  If you're 'very overweight' at the moment, you'd see rapid improvements in your time on the Bologna course in particular as your w/kg improves.  Ride On! :thumbsup:

I've now got an Echo Dot set up in my Zwifting suite, so I can listen to Enya without earphones while I'm turning myself inside out.  Can also transmit messages to Mrs Legs and the children inside the house: 'Alexa, announce 'bring me some more water please!"'

« Reply #577 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:22:28 pm »
The bots are also good for being overweight as they work on watts/kg.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #578 on: 20 June, 2022, 01:35:42 pm »
Can also transmit messages to Mrs Legs and the children inside the house: 'Alexa, announce 'bring me some more water please!"'

I tried this once and it worked but with the proviso I never ask again... I think I also heard the words "You should be better prepared!".

« Reply #579 on: 23 June, 2022, 10:16:35 am »
 ;D

« Reply #580 on: 24 August, 2022, 08:26:39 pm »
Finally managed the 1200W badge today!

« Reply #581 on: 24 August, 2022, 08:41:45 pm »
How’s the Zwifting experience going, Phil21?

« Reply #582 on: 25 August, 2022, 11:06:04 am »
How’s the Zwifting experience going, Phil21?

It hasn't recently, but I have a good excuse - I have just moved house and I did my own packing so I had to have everything packed up in advance. I actually unpacked the turbo trainer last night and will be setting up Zwift this evening! The good news is that I can now move it indoors (was in the garage previously) so the setup is going to be much nicer. Was on Amazon pricing big cheap TVs last night :-)
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #583 on: 27 August, 2022, 06:36:36 pm »

Nice one  :thumbsup:
Back in the saddle :)

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #584 on: 23 September, 2022, 03:17:39 pm »
I use an Apple Tv to run Zwift and also a PC both connected to a wall mounted TV.

The connection is with a simple HDMI cable.  If you are using it on a tablet you probably have socket to which an hdmi adapter can be connected.  Alternatively chromecast or other systems are available.

Hi Chris - wondered if you'd know?

I'm looking into getting an Apple TV box but know nothing about how the interconnection between the various pieces of kit required need some more info. Eg, how does the Kickr connect to the apple TV? I notice there are several generations of Apple TV boxes so if I were to buy a preloved one would they all work or do I need a certain generation and above?

« Reply #585 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:14:55 pm »

How many minutes did you hold it for?

« Reply #586 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:25:18 pm »
I use an Apple Tv to run Zwift and also a PC both connected to a wall mounted TV.

The connection is with a simple HDMI cable.  If you are using it on a tablet you probably have socket to which an hdmi adapter can be connected.  Alternatively chromecast or other systems are available.

I'm looking into getting an Apple TV box but know nothing about how the interconnection between the various pieces of kit required need some more info. Eg, how does the Kickr connect to the apple TV? I notice there are several generations of Apple TV boxes so if I were to buy a preloved one would they all work or do I need a certain generation and above?
Apple TV 4th Gen onwards will work- but only via bluetooth, and they have only 3 connections. Mine's a 2018 vintage, and the trainer sends cadence&power (1) I have HRM (2) and the ATV reserves one for its remote. If your trainer won't send power & cadence together you need a bridge to combine 2 of the sensors- I think you can do this through the companion app.

Deets here from DCR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaPsZVFAzH0

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #587 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »

Apple TV 4th Gen onwards will work- but only via bluetooth, and they have only 3 connections. Mine's a 2018 vintage, and the trainer sends cadence&power (1) I have HRM (2) and the ATV reserves one for its remote. If your trainer won't send power & cadence together you need a bridge to combine 2 of the sensors- I think you can do this through the companion app.

Cheers, fboab.

« Reply #588 on: 23 September, 2022, 07:32:56 pm »
I got that when my cadence/speed sensor blew up and started producing wild readings. I suddenly accelerated to 40mph and got three badges in the space of a mile, at which point Zwift decided something funny was going on and blocked any further rewards. Unlikely I'll ever get it the honest way, and no way to repudiate it anyway.

« Reply #589 on: 23 September, 2022, 08:44:11 pm »
On the subject of badges and things going tits up..

I am feeling a bit aggrieved after my last ride, attempting the Bigger Loop.  I was going well having done the Epic KOM and so on, then I reached the turn off to the Alpe and as soon as I went past it my progress indicator and ride title disappeared.  ISTR I had about 20km to go and I rode on until I'd done 54km but no coconut - I'd done the route but Zwift didn't award my badge.  Almost my last route to bag in Watopia, too.  Even Strava said I'd done it. 

It's the principle of the thing..
Move Faster and Bake Things

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #590 on: 27 September, 2022, 11:36:50 am »

Cheers, fboab.

Big arse TV hung on the garage wall and Apple TV box installed. Didn't connect the cadence meter, my fault, and the screen size wasn't quite right as clipped the image. Both sorted very easily and everything works as expected - I'm a convert to using Zwift this way meaning my laptop is now redundant!

The TV is probably a bit close due to space constraints but it gives the impression of being right on the wheel of the rider in front (my preferred position).

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #591 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:12:21 am »
Good news; I did a FTP test this morning and it's up by 10%, the bad news is that workouts will be 10% harder :(

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #592 on: 28 September, 2022, 09:52:14 am »
Good news; I did a FTP test this morning and it's up by 10%, the bad news is that workouts will be 10% harder :(

Are you doing the Zwift Academy rides? I've done the benchmark test (I'm a sprinter, apparently, much to the amusement of my cycling buddies) and x3 of the subsequent workouts. Wondering if I will have improved when the second benchmark test comes around? My FTP is (was) 265 but I found I had to drop down to about 92% of that otherwise I would have ground to a halt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #593 on: 28 September, 2022, 10:19:47 am »
No, not doing anything structured at the moment; it's more pick a workout that looks interesting and fits my available time

« Reply #594 on: 28 September, 2022, 11:08:57 am »

Are you doing the Zwift Academy rides? I've done the benchmark test (I'm a sprinter, apparently, much to the amusement of my cycling buddies) and x3 of the subsequent workouts. Wondering if I will have improved when the second benchmark test comes around? My FTP is (was) 265 but I found I had to drop down to about 92% of that otherwise I would have ground to a halt.
I'm doing the Academy and am about 15% worse than when I started last year. Yay. It said I was a TT-er but mostly because it's too polite to say 'a bit shit'

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #595 on: 29 September, 2022, 01:19:32 pm »
No, not doing anything structured at the moment; it's more pick a workout that looks interesting and fits my available time
Apparently Zwift have made the Academy rides "on demand" now. I thought I'd try it out tomorrow rather than try and make my time fit around their timetable.

« Reply #596 on: 29 September, 2022, 08:05:58 pm »
I'm doing the ZA rides and workouts too.  Did Workout 2 as a lone workout yesterday morning (because it's been withdrawn from the group workout schedule), and Workout 3 as a group workout last night.  Oh my word, that was tough!  1.5 mins at 275W and 1.5mins at 315W, which should have felt easy compared with what the Gorbies I was doing in the summer, but with so little time to recover in between I just found it utterly nails.  I came out as a sprinter (haha, 6'3", 11st and can't do a chin-up!) which I think just reflects that my endurance is rubbish.

« Reply #597 on: 30 September, 2022, 08:51:29 am »
One of their latest bugs is that the Academy on-demand workouts aren't all available on Apple TV. So I'm glad I only had the short version of workout 3 available to me.

« Reply #598 on: 07 October, 2022, 10:14:43 pm »
First swift workout of the winter. SST low. Went fine apart from cramp in both calves at different times.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #599 on: 07 October, 2022, 11:18:53 pm »
Just restarted Zwift for the autumn. On rollers. Yes, I am stupid.