Author Topic: Changes at TrainerRoad  (Read 4429 times)

Changes at TrainerRoad
« on: 25 February, 2021, 05:02:42 pm »
Following some user grumbling and YouTube slating, TR are today announcing radical changes to their plans.  Using AI (machine learning) they are now offering adaptive training - i.e. using the data mining from user workouts to adapt future plans more or less in real time, so theoretically your next workout will always be the "best" for your chosen goal whilst still being achievable.

Also, auto-adaptation of plans to account for missed sessions, holidays, etc - something that's always been an issue for me.

The podcast hasn't reached the thorny issue of sweet spot vs polarised yet  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Changes at TrainerRoad
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:11:43 pm »
I just put a link to the Adaptive training announcement blogpost into the base training thread.
https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/introducing-adaptive-training-the-right-workout-every-time/

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:13:42 pm »
I just put a link to the Adaptive training announcement blogpost into the base training thread.
https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/introducing-adaptive-training-the-right-workout-every-time/

:thumbsup:

I thought this is a big enough change to warrant it's own thread but happy if mods want to combine.

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:22:30 pm »
Fair enough - maybe this is where discussion about a single application/company offering should belong anyway.

It sounds really interesting. I've not listened to the pod yet, but I wonder how it deals with goals - if you want to ride CX do they have an idea of what you 7 zone strengths should look like and adapt the plan to guide you towards that setup?  Or does it just take the existing Short Power plan and then alter the workouts so that you are able to do them all? I guess the latter, but I'll listen later to find out.

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:24:42 pm »
but I'll listen later to find out.

I think you'll have to - a lot of detail in there and it's only halfway through after 90 mins ;)

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:27:40 pm »
Sounds normal for the TR podcast.  The giant length of them is one reason why I stopped listening about 6 months ago (that and it depressed me not being able to ride). I'll make an exception for this one as it sounds like it will be worthwhile.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:44:34 pm »
I wonder how it compares with the likes of Xert's adaptive training?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
I wonder how it compares with the likes of Xert's adaptive training?

I would guess it's similar technology but TR probably have a far bigger data set at their disposal.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2021, 08:17:54 pm »
Yep hopefully it's better, Xert always felt like you were the Beta tester all the time. Kind of the Garmin business model lol
Regards,

Joergen

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2021, 08:59:00 pm »
this might encourage me to resume my training again. might.