Author Topic: Old boxes  (Read 3301 times)

Re: Old boxes
« Reply #25 on: 11 June, 2021, 06:07:06 pm »
Mrs M has reminded me that we have a Toshiba Libretto - her first laptop, and still fondly remembered for its size if not its weight.
Having Googled the Libretto I now need to find it to see what model it is (possibly a 70)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #26 on: 24 June, 2021, 11:14:32 pm »
Upstairs I've still got my ZX81, in a DK Tronics keyboard, 32K of ram plus 2K of battery backup up static for persistent storage.
My Atari 130XE and my Amiga 1500 with G-Force 40MHz 68030/68882, SCSI HD and CD etc.
There's various old laptops around including a JVC mininote A5 format and various servers, but my normal machine is a mid-2009 unibody 15" MacBook Pro. Shame it's no longer supported for OS updates, it's been a very reliable machine (on its second PSU, and had an internal ribbon cable fail that connects to the HD).
I think every member of my family has got through at least three laptops in the time I've had that MacBook, which has travelled extensively with me - it's not been used as a pampered desktop.

« Reply #27 on: 25 June, 2021, 09:10:29 am »
I have a magnificent Compaq portable III, WITH a 10mb Hard Drive WITH an expansion box on the back WITH a network adapter so that I could run Novell Netware on it, and together with a Toshiba Plasma Portable (also 10Mb hard drive) I had a demo network I could take to potential clients.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:14:49 am »
Somewhere in Thee Boxes of Teetering Crap I've got an NSLU2 that I put Slug(OS (I think) on. I used it as NAS of some sort attached to my almost smart TV before I got a Raspberry Pi and Kodi.

Is it worth revitalising it and hanging more external HDDs off it as some kind of backup thing?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #29 on: 25 June, 2021, 11:23:15 am »
I had the same setup with the NSLU2 - onto the Toppy freeview box IIRC. Both boxes are around somewhere; a few years ago I had the Toppy in my equipment rack to use as a broadcast radio receiver (via freeview) to have background noise in my home office.

I think the NSLU2 is too slow and underpowered to be properly useful now (and only 100M ethernet even if the processor could keep up); many routers allow you to plug a USB drive in nowadays which would probably work much better.