Author Topic: Welcome to Meta, in no way is it like Facebook  (Read 8865 times)

Re: Welcome to Meta, in no way is it like Facebook
« Reply #50 on: 01 November, 2021, 04:53:51 pm »

« Reply #51 on: 01 November, 2021, 05:27:55 pm »
WhatsApp is shit at video calls (sync issues etc. described above), and doesn't work properly on a desktop computer.
I haven't had problems (maybe I've ignored them) using the web based interface for WhatsApp on my desktop. What issues are you having ?

You don't seem to be able to make video (or presumably audio) calls from the desktop application.

Unfortunately, we're using this with Natalya's Mum, who is a bogon source, and dyslexic.  FaceTime would presumably solve the problem reasonably well, but would require Fruity hardware that we don't have.  Getting her to install something that works acceptibly well for lip-reading (eg. Zoom or Signal) is a work in progress (I eventually talked her through installing Zoom on her MacBook, but was defeated from actually getting her to join a meeting by the MacBook being unable to receive email).

Google meet only requires a browser (plus access to the camera/mike). You can create a meeting and then send her a link. The meetings can be perpetual so that the link can be bookmarked (we've been using the same one for a work meeting for 18 months, easier than slack / teams / whatever)

Mrs Nutty also uses google with same link.  She never signs out.  This meant that when she entered the study (laptop with screenlock on) everybody said "good morning" and it made her jump.

Her confusion was later heightened later in the day when I asked if she'd been walking past her study door wearing only a towel whilst trying to get the children up.

Remember folks:-
1) always leave the meeting
2) always put a post-it note over the camera
3) turn the laptop off if not in use

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #52 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:04:02 pm »
Mrs Nutty also uses google with same link.  She never signs out.  This meant that when she entered the study (laptop with screenlock on) everybody said "good morning" and it made her jump.

Her confusion was later heightened later in the day when I asked if she'd been walking past her study door wearing only a towel whilst trying to get the children up.

I always close the meeting tab, the shortcut will work later....
then unplug the camera & mic.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:06:00 pm »

I always close the meeting tab, the shortcut will work later....
then unplug the camera & mic.

My laptop has a cover that mechanically goes over the lens of the camera.

And I didn't install the camera's software drivers...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #54 on: 02 November, 2021, 08:03:11 am »
It seems that Facebook either didn’t do the due diligence before they decided to change their name or, morel likely in my opinion, did and decided it didn’t matter.
Due diligence fail?

It’s nice to think that Facebook will have to change their new name, but I’m sure that’s unlikely to happen.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 02 November, 2021, 09:50:21 am »
Presumably it would depend whether a court ruled that a worldwide operator of social media were liable to be confused with a local retailer of hardware. It seems unlikely to me but if it did, then probably the owners of the other Meta will get a payout.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #56 on: 03 November, 2021, 02:16:10 pm »
I didn't like the bit where it said big companies can register in a random country which doesn't have a searchable trademark system, and then claim to have an earlier date than the originally registered company in the US. That seems extremely nasty, fishy and unfair... But capitalism...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #58 on: 04 February, 2022, 09:09:04 am »
See that Metabookface's shares have plummeted.  oh dear, how sad, never mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/03/facebook-stock-shares-meta-mark-zuckerberg

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 04 February, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
The market reckons we've reached peak Facebook.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

« Reply #60 on: 04 February, 2022, 02:04:37 pm »
Time to reorganise?
Meat, Mate, Tame, or Eatm

Cudzoziemiec

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #62 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:00:41 pm »
Career apologist.

« Reply #63 on: 20 February, 2022, 09:14:58 pm »
WhatsApp is shit at video calls (sync issues etc. described above), and doesn't work properly on a desktop computer.
I haven't had problems (maybe I've ignored them) using the web based interface for WhatsApp on my desktop. What issues are you having ?

You don't seem to be able to make video (or presumably audio) calls from the desktop application.

Unfortunately, we're using this with Natalya's Mum, who is a bogon source, and dyslexic.  FaceTime would presumably solve the problem reasonably well, but would require Fruity hardware that we don't have.  Getting her to install something that works acceptibly well for lip-reading (eg. Zoom or Signal) is a work in progress (I eventually talked her through installing Zoom on her MacBook, but was defeated from actually getting her to join a meeting by the MacBook being unable to receive email).
<mode=egg sucking, user=$grandmother> I think the W10 desktop app now allows video calling. https://www.alphr.com/whatsapp-video-call-windows/. There's an unofficial *nix app too that claims video calling is possible too. </mode>

Zoom4linux (I think that's what it's called although it is only listed in the applications on my Ubuntu as Zoom) works very well where I have only had audio config problems trying to use Messenger both on Ubuntu and on W10 (although the W10 box is a particularly rubbishy HP laptop)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 20 February, 2022, 10:58:20 pm »

<mode=egg sucking, user=$grandmother> I think the W10 desktop app now allows video calling. https://www.alphr.com/whatsapp-video-call-windows/. There's an unofficial *nix app too that claims video calling is possible too. </mode>

Zoom4linux (I think that's what it's called although it is only listed in the applications on my Ubuntu as Zoom) works very well where I have only had audio config problems trying to use Messenger both on Ubuntu and on W10 (although the W10 box is a particularly rubbishy HP laptop)

Yeah, the only reason we weren't using Zoom (which we have available on a multitude of Windows and Linux machines here) was because of PEBKAC issues at the remote end.  Mrs barakta's-mum is horribly dyslexic and has a habit of instinctively clicking on UI elements simply because she's familiar with them, without regard for what they might actually do.  This makes talking her through sorting out computer problems Type 2 Fun.

Suffice to say, she'd successfully installed Zoom on her iPad, but IOS wasn't giving an option to grant it camera/microphone permission, so that was no good.  And she couldn't use it on her Macbook, because she'd previously broken her email config, which meant we had no simple way of sending her a meeting URL to click on (dyslexic, remember).

Anyway, once barakta was able to get upstairs (where she has a proper computer with room to think) and on a much lower dose of Morphine, she was able to talk her mum through installing TeamViewer on the Macbook, from where we were able to defenestrate the suspected-malware she'd installed in Chrome, discover there was nothing wrong with her email, and configure Zoom.

Which means barakta can now do video calls with her mum that are neither  a) un-lip-readably out-of-sync  nor  b) portrait nostrilvision.  So, naturally, their more recent communications have all been by conventional telephony ::-)
This is probably a good thing, as it transpires that Mrs barakta's-mum has learned how to do screenshots.  Which means that she's in the habit of surreptitiously grabbing stills from video calls and spamming them to her friends and relatives.  (She's almost as bad at consent as she is at computers.)

She's ceremonially banned from using Facebook, for the general good of humanity.  I expect the niephews will be thankful for this in a few years time.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #65 on: 04 March, 2022, 08:36:00 am »
Facebook is now blocked in Russia. At last, some positive news from the Ukrainian war.

« Reply #66 on: 04 March, 2022, 08:55:51 am »
Facebook is now blocked in Russia. At last, some positive news from the Ukrainian war.

In the current circumstances, that's not good news at all.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #68 on: 11 August, 2022, 01:54:24 pm »
LOL, and indeed, ROFLMAO... ;D

Meta's new prototype chatbot has told the BBC that Mark Zuckerberg exploits its users for money.

Meta says the chatbot uses artificial intelligence and can chat on "nearly any topic".

Asked what the chatbot thought of the company's CEO and founder, it replied "our country is divided and he didn't help that at all".

Meta said the chatbot was a prototype and might produce rude or offensive answers.

BlenderBot 3's algorithm searches the internet to inform its answers. It is likely its views on Mr Zuckerberg have been "learnt' from other people's opinions that the algorithm has analysed.

The Wall Street Journal has reported BlenderBot 3 told one of its journalists that Donald Trump was, and will always be, the US president.

A business Insider journalist said the chatbot called Mr Zuckerberg "creepy".

In 2016 Microsoft apologised after Twitter users taught its chatbot to be racist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62497674

<The Register> I, for one, welcome our shitposting AI chatbot overlords. </The Register>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche