Author Topic: Multiple starling deaths  (Read 2580 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Multiple starling deaths
« on: 13 February, 2022, 11:29:18 am »
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/mystery-birds-fall-dead-sky-23063560?fbclid=IwAR0w9Wmv0YfNmkueysorihPym16SdMBVc2aJr5nyDEv_FGxFcjYEk3zLEHY

200 starlings fell out of the sky in Pembrokeshire. It happened at this point:

https://goo.gl/maps/2UJta9kq5PbbNkZY7

The report mentions the proximity to the Dragon LNG plant, but I'm inclined to think that the power lines were the reason. I recall, 30-odd years ago, waiting for a train at Southend Victoria station. Suddenly there was a flash and a loud bang as a starling flew too close to the power lines and a massive electrical spark struck it. It expired PDQ.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Multiple starling deaths
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2022, 12:16:08 pm »
i blame the crows.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2022, 01:31:25 pm »
Possibly a combination of both?

It doesn't look like they've been zapped by high-voltage; there wouldn't be much bird left if they had.  It would be consistent with a loud bang, though.  The insulator spacing on those high-voltage lines is significantly larger than a starling.

However, it seems likely that they were sitting on the power lines - as birds are inclined to do for prolonged periods and in large numbers - when whatever killed them happened.  Gas from the LNG plant seems plausible.  Maybe carbon monoxide (or something nastier?) from a flare stack or something?  Or perhaps ionising the air sufficiently to bridge the circuit and electrocute them, without fully arcing over?  Or they were poisoned, and happened to be congregating on the power lines when it took effect?

I'm reminded of a (probably apocryphal) story of microwaving seagulls in-flight with military targeting radar...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2022, 01:43:28 pm »
Or perhaps ionising the air sufficiently to bridge the circuit and electrocute them, without fully arcing over?

I'd have expected something like St. Elmo's Fire to become visible first.  Years ago a chap I knew had a blue glow build above his brolly when he went for a walk a couple of k away from a thunderstorm.  Much higher potentials there than between power lines, though.  Chum tossed the brolly and had a tingly arm for a while afterwards.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2022, 02:08:51 pm »
Or perhaps ionising the air sufficiently to bridge the circuit and electrocute them, without fully arcing over?

I'd have expected something like St. Elmo's Fire to become visible first.  Years ago a chap I knew had a blue glow build above his brolly when he went for a walk a couple of k away from a thunderstorm.  Much higher potentials there than between power lines, though.  Chum tossed the brolly and had a tingly arm for a while afterwards.

Agreed.  Would require a witness who isn't  a) a bird   b) dead  or  c) driving a car with a roof, headlights, etc. though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2022, 03:14:11 pm »
HT power lines & perching birds are common enough for someone somewhere to have seen the effect before.  Maybe the lines went for a gallop and closed the gap between them to kill level.

https://youtu.be/GEGbYRii1d4

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2022, 05:05:38 pm »
Why did birds fall from sky in Mexico? Probably a predator, experts say

Ah, controlled flight into terrain.  Didn't realise birds did that, but it makes sense when they're in flocking mode...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2022, 01:25:00 pm »
That'll be conveniently forgotten the next time some fruitloop wants to have a dig at the power lines.

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2022, 02:42:51 pm »
That'll be conveniently forgotten the next time some fruitloop wants to have a dig at the power lines.

Power lines?

Wind turbines caused it, I tell you. Combined with the 5G signals from all the vaccinated people.
<i>Marmite slave</i>