Author Topic: Platform Pedals With Pins and Matching MTB Shoes  (Read 1756 times)

Platform Pedals With Pins and Matching MTB Shoes
« on: 17 May, 2022, 10:43:38 pm »
Wondered is anyone using platform pedals with pins and mtn bike shoes with grooves in them on their recumbent and what your experience is like?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Platform Pedals With Pins and Matching MTB Shoes
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2022, 12:10:02 am »
Even with a decent amount of friction between shoe and pedal, I can't imagine it's much fun maintaining constant pressure to support the weight of your legs against gravity, unless the bottom bracket's substantially lower than the seat...

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2022, 09:08:06 am »
I use them on my Optima Orca, which has quite a high BB.  I find them reasonably secure, and rarely lose a pedal even on rough off-road surfaces. While SPD pedals are more relaxing once clipped in, the flatties are much more secure when starting off. 

I wouldn't use them on a trike, where a dropped leg might cause serious injury, and I take Kim's point about extra effort/concentration which might become an issue on long days, but on balance I find they work for me on my habitual short rides.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2022, 09:22:10 am »
I use flat pedals with pins on my PDQ and Origami two wheel recumbents.  They are fine, like Phil mostly on shortish rides and including some gentle off road.  For longer rides I use a long wheelbase recumbent with toe clips and straps.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.