Author Topic: A tent designed by & for women.  (Read 9250 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: A tent designed by & for women.
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2022, 05:25:18 pm »
Seems like marketing nonsense to me, are all women weak and feeble?

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2022, 05:47:04 pm »
Looks a lot like the Vaude Hogan, which has served me well for about 15 years.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2022, 06:41:54 pm »
Looks a lot like the Vaude Hogan, which has served me well for about 15 years.

Sam

Was thinking more the Vaude Mark series of tents. The exo skeleton design is great.

I must admit I like the design, freestanding, with external poles. Makes it very quick to setup, inner and outer together.

Dunno about the women for women thing, but this is almost my ideal 1 person tent.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2022, 06:59:21 pm »
I used a Vaude Hogan for a couple of weeks, it was OK, but I now prefer the door to be at the side.

MSR launched a variant on the Hubba using an external frame but discontinued it fairly quickly.

https://www.pannier.cc/journal/introducing-the-msr-hubba-tour-tent/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2022, 11:36:34 pm »
The differences with the Hubba look basically to be a European tent versus an American summer tent:

1) Prioritisation of quick pitching versus ability to pitch inner alone
2) Inner made of proper fabric rather than mesh
3) Flysheet that doesn't leave a 6 inch 'ventilation' gap with the ground

If I was in the market for  a new tent it would be a strong contender.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:21:10 am »
They mention several times that there's room to keep a rucksack inside. In the video they then say this means in the vestibule rather than in the tent itself. Though I guess again this depends whether you're using it with one or two people (not to mention how big your rucksack, panniers, or bikepacking bags are).

Anyway, this seems advantageous to me, in terms of rain, animals, finding things you suddenly realise you need in the night, and in some circumstances theft. And yet it seems like a thing that people often don't do, even if they have space inside. Is this campers' marmite or something?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2022, 12:54:33 pm »

Dunno about the women for women thing, but this is almost my ideal 1 person tent.

If I was in the market for  a new tent it would be a strong contender.

Agreed, this looks rather splendid.  I'd definitely like a bit more room than I have in my one person tent.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2022, 01:20:05 pm »
I like the look of this one.  Similar size and weight to the venerable Akto, but free-standing and a little roomier (probably a little less robust, if you're planning to pitch on the Knavesmire or a Scottish clifftop in a hurricane or similar).  And none of that USAnian ventilation silliness.

They mention several times that there's room to keep a rucksack inside. In the video they then say this means in the vestibule rather than in the tent itself. Though I guess again this depends whether you're using it with one or two people (not to mention how big your rucksack, panniers, or bikepacking bags are).

Anyway, this seems advantageous to me, in terms of rain, animals, finding things you suddenly realise you need in the night, and in some circumstances theft. And yet it seems like a thing that people often don't do, even if they have space inside. Is this campers' marmite or something?

My usual approach is to bring the panniers into the vestibule, rather than into the inner tent.  That way they don't get things wet/dusty.

The contents of my rear panniers (tent, clothing, sleeping stuff, etc) is mostly in stuff-sacks, which get moved into the inner tent.  The panniers themselves can then lie flat, or be used to keep critters from getting at food.  My front panniers mostly contain the heavier cooking and cycling-related stuff, which stay easily accessible in the vestibule, should I feel the need for a midnight snack or want the sewing kit for something.

If it's pissing down with rain and there's minimal risk of theft, I might leave the empty rear panniers attached to the bike.  Brings less wet stuff into the tent, and gives them an opportunity to dry out later.

There might be an Ortlieb vs Carradice factor, vis not wanting to place porous luggage directly on wet ground?  Not an issue if you have a footprint covering the ground inside the vestibule...

Rucksacks presumably stay cleaner than bike luggage.  Especially if used with a waterproof cover.  So bringing the whole thing inside makes more sense.

ravenbait

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2022, 01:33:30 pm »
I used a Vaude Hogan for a couple of weeks, it was OK, but I now prefer the door to be at the side.

I hadn't even noticed the door was on the side. As I'm used to Scottish camping, i.e. midge infested, I'm used to making as small an opening as possible for the least possible time. They love me. I once received more than 150 bites in the time it took us to pack up our kit at Gairloch's Big Sands.

That said, if I were in the market to replace the Hogan, this would be a strong contender. It isn't big enough to replace our Hilleberg Nallo GT2, but for solo expeditions it would be suitable (I like a bit of space).

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2022, 01:52:41 pm »
The external frame, inner already attached to outer, and clip outer to frame will certainly speed pitching up.  It reminds me a bit of my 1980s Phreeranger , but that you have to slide the frame into sleeves in the outer, and pockets for end of frame poles, and the cross frame member is longer on this design. Plus modern lightweight 15D rip stop silnylon. I see they have midge netting in the inner doors which is good.

I could not see from the video whether there is a loop / hook at the apex of the inner to hang a head torch or lantern.

I’m impressed at the size for the stated weight of 1.4kg, and poles sized to fit in frame bag below top tube of bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2022, 02:07:16 pm »
I could not see from the video whether there is a loop / hook at the apex of the inner to hang a head torch or lantern.

In my experience of the Akto, which is pretty much the same height, this isn't as useful as you'd expect: If you're lying down, the torch shines in your face.  If you sit up, it's occupying the space where your head wants to be.  More useful is to place a head torch shining upwards along the side of the tent, for indirect light.  Lanterns are more useful in bigger tents with more headroom.

I have one of those little keyright lights permanently attached to the loop, purely so there's a light source in a known place that I can switch on by feel if my proper torch needs batteries changing/charging or is buried in a bag somewhere.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:27:06 pm »
I think the apex of the tent is a good place to attach a diffused light, not a torch. There is, surprise, a bargain but quality Chinese product available on Ali Express that all the weight weenies are enthusing about. I'd tell you more but i've forgotten it's name.  ::-)

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:34:05 pm »
The Petzl head torches came with a sliding diffuser and option of a red LED for such night light when you don’t want to be blinded in the tent.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:37:23 pm »
There might be an Ortlieb vs Carradice factor, vis not wanting to place porous luggage directly on wet ground?  Not an issue if you have a footprint covering the ground inside the vestibule...
Waxed cotton isn't really that porous, unless all the wax has worn off.

Rucksacks presumably stay cleaner than bike luggage.  Especially if used with a waterproof cover.  So bringing the whole thing inside makes more sense.
Rucksacks are one big thing though. You can put one pannier on top of another and it only takes one pannier of floor space. Can't do that with a rucksack. You basically need a 2-person tent so the rucksack can occupy the empty space beside you (unless you're short enough to have sufficient space at the end of your feet).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2022, 08:04:54 pm »
I did at one point fit a significantly-more-compact-than-he-is-now CrinklyCub beside me in the Akto, and concluded that would just about work.

The Bella has a similar pentagonal sleeping area, so there should be room for a rucksack.  Which is a decent advantage over many small tents.

« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2022, 08:59:15 pm »
You are supposed to spread the rucksack out on the floor & use it as insulation, unless you’re one of those wimpish types who use a Thermarest!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:32:15 pm »
I did at one point fit a significantly-more-compact-than-he-is-now CrinklyCub beside me in the Akto, and concluded that would just about work.

The Bella has a similar pentagonal sleeping area, so there should be room for a rucksack.  Which is a decent advantage over many small tents.

I can't remember which one of them it was... but these days both Cubs are somewhat taller than me - admittedly, not a huge benchmark, I suppose  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2022, 03:58:27 pm »
I like it, as others have said it's very similar to the Hubba Hubba except a bit better for this climate.

I've got a Decathlon copy of the Hubba Hubba; it's a bit heavier but several hundred pounds cheaper. As with the MSRs, you can pitch it outer first if you buy the footprint and don't mind fiddling about a bit. The two person one can easily fit me, the dog and the mahoosive rucksack required for me and the dog's stuffs.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:08:05 am »
I'd like to have seen some photos of the interior and of luggage (a rucksack, I wouldn't expect to see panniers) in the vestibule. But a useful read.

ravenbait

« Reply #21 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:11:55 am »
Looks good. It will definitely go on my list should I need to replace my Hogan.

Sam

« Reply #22 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:25:11 am »
It seems a lot of tent for the weight, similar in many ways to a Terra Nova Southern Cross.
I keep looking at lighter tents than my 2.3kg TN Solar 2.2, hovered over the buy button several times, but spending £400+ to save a kg and more importantly lose some features I like has prevented me so far.

ravenbait

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2022, 08:30:37 pm »
Well, got my Hogan out of the garage to inspect it. Was last used by Mr 'Bait during his time as the official Truck Fairy (at Truckfest), which was a few years ago. I had been assured it was in good nick.

It is unrecoverable. I don't know if it was put away damp, or what, but there is no hope.

My other tent is a Hillebergy Nallo 2 GT, which is fine when there are two of us, but I really loved the simple pitching of the Hogan on solo adventures, which is also on this Bella. Modern Vaude tents of a similar type now use sleeves.

So I may well be acquiring one of these.

Sam

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:02:21 am »
Well, got my Hogan out of the garage to inspect it. Was last used by Mr 'Bait during his time as the official Truck Fairy (at Truckfest), which was a few years ago. I had been assured it was in good nick.

It is unrecoverable. I don't know if it was put away damp, or what, but there is no hope.

My other tent is a Hillebergy Nallo 2 GT, which is fine when there are two of us, but I really loved the simple pitching of the Hogan on solo adventures, which is also on this Bella. Modern Vaude tents of a similar type now use sleeves.

So I may well be acquiring one of these.

Sam

Sounds like Mr 'bait owes you a tent . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>