Author Topic: SKS chainbow - has anyone got any pictures?  (Read 1188 times)

SKS chainbow - has anyone got any pictures?
« on: 23 May, 2022, 08:07:42 am »
Hello everyone. First time poster! I was a member of YACF many years ago but I suspect my account was deleted because of GDPR or something.

I've got a not-very special hybrid bike which I am particularly enjoying at the minute. It's very cheap, steel front rim, alu back one.

I like that I can park it up and not worry about it getting stolen.

The integrated chainrings are now looking like shark's teeth and although it makes no financial sense I'm going to fix it and maybe evern rebuild the wheels. I will also have new mudguards. I imagine I have a decent chainset in my box of old cycling chod. It's a very nice bike to ride and much more nimble than my Rudge Bi-Frame folding MTB.

I quite fancy a chainguard as well, so I can use the bike without worrying about greasy trouser legs.

I have seen the SKS Chainbow (see here https://www.sks-germany.com/en/download/136932/) on a certain auction site, but I'm a bit confused by the manual. I haven't been able to find many pictures of one fitted to a bike.

Has anyone here fitted one? How does it work with a front mech?

Oh, and does anyone know if it would work with a cup-and-cone BB, or do I need to install a cartridge one?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: SKS chainbow - has anyone got any pictures?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:26:22 am »
Some chainguards have a cut out in the top for the front mech. Pretty sure Hebie is one brand that has such models. Whether that SKS chainguard has, I can't tell.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:39:14 am »
Oh, and does anyone know if it would work with a cup-and-cone BB, or do I need to install a cartridge one?

I think both would be OK as it only has to be removed to fit the fixing bracket which goes in between the cup and frame.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2022, 10:56:22 am »
A quick image search suggests that they do a chainblande and a chainbow.  The blade only covers the top of your chainring, so should be okay with a FD, whereas the chainbow looks like it wraps the chainring.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2022, 10:22:26 pm »
Yes, the Chainbow completely covers the chainring, but can be used with a front derailleur.  They do make 3 versions - a smaller one for up to 38T which SKS say is for hub gears, and then 44T & 48T versions for either hub or derailleur gears.

Similarly, the Chainblade, which only covers the top part of the chain, is also available in 3 versions - 38T for hub gears, 42-44T and 46-48T for derailleurs.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:28:08 pm »
Might be the ultra cool accessory needed for my fixed gear
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2022, 03:41:57 pm »
Found this, if it helps:

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2022, 04:52:46 pm »
There is an installation video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDb-qVGbWCE

It shows the chainbow bracket being sandwiched between the bb cup and the frame. I suspect a threaded bb would work. The chainbow does cover a front derailleur.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2022, 06:40:59 pm »
I love the way the bracket and all fittings align perfectly on the first attempt in that video.

I expect getting everything aligned and tightened will take a few more iterations.

Looks like a one size fits all - badly - solution, that may not fit all frames.