Author Topic: Simple video editing  (Read 3372 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Simple video editing
« on: 31 May, 2022, 05:37:13 pm »
Hello, I'd like some advice on video editing.

I like to knock up simple videos which could be uploaded to YouTube, no I don't want to be a YouTuber, just produce content for family members to view.  The footage would come from an iPhone 13, GoPro plus stills taken on both devices.  I don't have a fancy Mac, just a regular laptop running Windows 10 Business.

Installing software could be a problem as a don't have admin rights for my laptop, I do have my own laptop but its older so perhaps not as good. 

What does the panel suggest I do?  Thanks in advance.

Re: Simple video editing
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2022, 06:10:29 pm »
The Windows 10 Photos app has a basic video editor built in. It is OK for simple stuff.

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:07:06 pm »
I cannot recall the name but a friend of mine with mental health problems who posts his music content on YouTube uses a free video editing package.  He says that it took him a couple of not very intensive days to get competent and he's really quite happy.

If you're interested in seeing what level of production he puts out as a guide his YouTube channel is AugustusStephens.  I can find out what it is called if you are interested. 

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:34:43 pm »
I was in a similar position - I wanted to edit various clips of hedgehogs and other nocturnal visitors into a manageable 1 or 2 minute video. I ended up using kdenlive, on linux as it happens but there are also PC and Mac versions. It was a bit daunting at first , but there are loads of youtube tutorials, and you don't have to use the more advanced features. And it's free. I run it on ancient hardware without any problems.
https://kdenlive.org/en/

There's also davinci resolve, which gets good reviews and has a free version. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:47:04 pm »
I have the old Windows Movie editor if you want a copy.  It’s all self contained and doesn’t need installing. Just stick it in a folder somewhere and create a shortcut in your start menu or task bar etc.  It is simple to use, edits are fast, and runs on W10 quite happily.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:03:18 am »
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've just been mooching around my laptop and note MS Video Editor is installed.  Is this any good?  I suppose I could give it a try and see how I get on.

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:33:29 am »

I've just been mooching around my laptop and note MS Video Editor is installed.  Is this any good?  I suppose I could give it a try and see how I get on.
No idea about that but, Youtube also has its own software for editing content it might suffice.
However, does Binley Mega Chippy need that OD touch?  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:54:06 am »

No idea about that but, Youtube also has its own software for editing content it might suffice.

Hello Del, just had a quick look at the YT editor and all it seems to offer is trimming down a video you have uploaded, you can also add music and some effects which maybe fine for some folks.  What I want to do is splice different segments and stills together to make a little film.

I have just had a quick play with MS Video Editor and it looks like I can do the above.  I trimmed a couple of videos I had shot and added a still.  The finished product is a few seconds of morris dancing, a few seconds of me testing the lights on our caravan then a photo of a computer keyboard - not Oscar winning stuff but a useful proof of concept!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2022, 05:37:10 pm »
Hello, I'd like some advice on video editing.

I like to knock up simple videos which could be uploaded to YouTube, no I don't want to be a YouTuber, just produce content for family members to view.  The footage would come from an iPhone 13, GoPro plus stills taken on both devices.  I don't have a fancy Mac, just a regular laptop running Windows 10 Business.

Installing software could be a problem as a don't have admin rights for my laptop, I do have my own laptop but its older so perhaps not as good. 

What does the panel suggest I do?  Thanks in advance.

I use Cyberlink PowerDirector.  I think the base version is still free.  It's as complex as I need.. which isn't complex.

All I use it for is stitching a few videos together, cutting out the stuff I don't need, adjusting the lighting, colours..etc, and adding some free music.  It has an "Upload to Youtube" button.
I used it when we were touring in the Motorhome so it needed to be quick and simple.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2022, 08:49:50 pm »
I have checked and the free software that my friend uses and likes is called ShotCut.  He does basic editing and puts his output onto YouTube.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2022, 01:43:06 pm »
Thanks chaps!