Author Topic: Kenilworth Greenway  (Read 937 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Kenilworth Greenway
« on: 04 July, 2022, 09:42:30 am »
my cathedrals route was supposed to take me North from Coventry (well actually Crackley) along the Greenway but I found out the hard way in March that it's been obliterated by HS2.

Can't find the new route does anyone know it?

Notfromrugby

Re: Kenilworth Greenway
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:37:19 am »
You can still use the greenway, they built a diversion and actually extended it… now it goes all the way to Balsall Common, we’ll just outside… it will then be extended to Berkswell, but that is not ready yet.

GdS

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:49:22 am »
Ok thanks  :) I need to go through Balsall Common anyway. Does is still start on the A429?

Notfromrugby

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:52:37 am »
Yes, it’s the same until you get to Burton Green, at that point there is a diversion and an extension on gravel which goes north west and pops up on Waste lane. I normally don’t bother with the extension, because the lanes round there are very quiet anyway and they are tarmac obviously

GdS

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2022, 11:05:47 am »
Ok thanks can see it on the 1'50,000 OS map, looks like I need to take Hob Lane?

Notfromrugby

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2022, 11:38:30 am »
Yes, it’s a quiet lane that gets you to Balsall Common

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2022, 12:20:02 pm »
"Kenilworth Greenway Diversion" is shown on openstreetmap.  They seem to have diverted more of it than when I was last there.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2022, 01:03:12 pm »
"Kenilworth Greenway Diversion" is shown on openstreetmap.  They seem to have diverted more of it than when I was last there.
The diversion is minimal. The Greenway used to have a ramp to access Burton Green, then it continued north, but virtually it was a dead end, with only a muddy disused path to access Waste Lane. Now the ramp has gone and there is a short paved diversion to access Burton Green, then a new section on gravel which continues towards Waste Lane. Overall, it is an improvement from the pre HS2 days.