Author Topic: Carlisle-Newcastle FNRttC 29th July.  (Read 1383 times)

Carlisle-Newcastle FNRttC 29th July.
« on: 11 July, 2022, 06:46:02 pm »
I'm now able to give this ride the attention that it needs. Apologies for the delay.
I'll be doing a route check on Tuesday 19th and the ride itself is on 29th July.
We'll leave from Carlisle Station and have breakfast at The Cycle Hub in Newcastle. The en route stop will be at the Euro Garage in Hexham.

More info here:- https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/carlisle-to-newcastle-29-july

The ride registration is on there as well.

As ever, if you have any questions, please ask.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Carlisle-Manchester FNRttC 29th July.
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2022, 08:02:54 pm »
Err... is the thread title somewhat awry?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Carlisle-Newcastle FNRttC 29th July.
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2022, 11:25:00 pm »
Err... is the thread title somewhat awry?

Ooops. Yes it is.
Thanks Wow !

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2022, 08:39:38 am »
What time do you plan to meet in Carlisle?
Since the last time we did this, the station now has a pub but I don’t think it opens that late. Last time we met at The Griffin, just outside the station.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2022, 11:20:31 am »
We'll be aiming to leave at midnight as usual.
My train is due in at 22.16 so I'll have a bit of time to spare. I doubt that I'll be having beer though.

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2022, 05:19:26 pm »
On reading this thread my immediate through was that I'll definitely be riding that one.

Then after about a minute realised that on the 29th I'll be on the Newcastle - Amsterdam ferry for two weeks touring in Germany & The Netherlands.   

Next time I suppose.

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2022, 08:28:34 pm »
Evening folks.
As I've already reported, I'm planning to do a route check on 19th July. Trans Pennine Express are warning about train cancellations or long delays so I may not be able to travel.
If that's the case, I'll have to cancel the FNRttC because I won't have another opportunity to ride the route before the 29th.
If I do manage to complete Tuesday's ride, then I hope to run the Friday night ride as advertised despite the planned train strike on Saturday 30th.
It doesn't directly affect TPE who I'm booked on to return to Manchester but I think any trains that do run will be absolutely packed and I don't know the status of the operators that you intend using.

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:51:23 pm »
I'm watching this thread- I'm interested but very unfit. Are you planning on following the Hadrian's cycleway all the way from Lanercost to Hexham? That would /will be a lot of walking for me.

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2022, 12:25:49 am »
I'm watching this thread- I'm interested but very unfit. Are you planning on following the Hadrian's cycleway all the way from Lanercost to Hexham? That would /will be a lot of walking for me.

The intended route is what mcshroom led us (me) along a long time ago (2013 according to my Strava) fboab. I'm not sure if that's the route that you're thinking of.
I can pm you the route that I'll be checking next Tuesday if you like.
From what I remember, none of the hills are extreme so, having ridden with you in the past, I'd expect that we could grimp up together.

Trains are the major issue.

« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2022, 08:19:13 am »
The route, assuming it's the one we've done before, has two main climbs - Lanercost to Banks and Greenhead. Those are on Hadrian's Cycleway.

After that we rode along the undulating military road to a little after the national park visitor centre then a descent to Hexham. In the middle of the night, the military road is very quiet, during the day, not so much.

Hadrian's Cycleway doesn't go on the military road but drops into Haltwhistle after Greenhead followed by a climb to Vindolanda before meeting up with our route into Hexham. After that it's fairly flat apart from a drag coming out of Corbridge.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:15:39 pm »
Hi Andrew,

I’ve just checked veloveiwer and found the route from my last Carlisle-Newcastle through-the-night, way back in 2014.

Carlisle Newcastle by Joe B, on Flickr

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:36:28 pm »
Hi Joe.
From what I can see, that looks like the route we'll be taking.
Here is my Strava from when I rode the route with mcshroom and a few others (it does contain an overshoot that I shan't be repeating):- https://www.strava.com/activities/85501437

In other news:-
A further update.
I've just heard that the ECML is going to be closed between York and London Village between 12.00 and 20.00 on Tuesday. My train back to MCR is scheduled to run between those times so I'll have to see tomorrow what options there are.
I'll report back................

« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:12:58 pm »
Mr Smith has reminded me we have his sons for that weekend, and my presence is required at home.