Author Topic: Inflatable mat that's not noisy?  (Read 3844 times)

Inflatable mat that's not noisy?
« on: 25 July, 2022, 07:21:45 pm »
Urgent need for a new mat. Our old expedition s6nmats ul were noisy like crisp packets. I need something as quiet as a traditional thermarest of old. I need insulation for all but winter but inflatable comfort after a few nights getting bad back n from an alpkit mat.

I need one before Friday so any recommendations?

Re: Inflatable mat that's not noisy?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2022, 08:47:09 pm »
Not the answer to your question, but all the noisy mats I've had have been silenced by putting them inside a cheap sleeping bag liner. It also makes for a nicer surface to sleep on if you're not in a bag. I posted this here, or somewhere else, before and someone said it didn't work for them, so there's no guarantee.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:34:32 am »
I vaguely recall nikki making some sort of mat cover to eliminate squeaks at one point...

Unsurprisingly, it's a function of both surfaces involved, and I think the level of squeakiness varies between tent fabrics (our car-camping tent is pretty much squeak-free, but the tent floor itself rustles like a crisp packet).  I also recall using my DownMat on someone's (carpeted) floor and having it develop a squeak on the second night.  This turned out to be caused by the corner of the mat lying on a PVC power cable.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2022, 12:38:54 am »
If you have a noisy sleeping mat there is a solution.

Pitch your tent between rogerzilla’s and wowbagger’s. No one will hear anything over the snoring.
It is simpler than it looks.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:55:58 am »

Pitch your tent between rogerzilla’s and wowbagger’s. No one will hear anything over the snoring.

;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:35:17 am »
The Sea2Summit ultralight mats aren't noisy, but they're just air inside so they aren't the best choice if you're heading to Antarctica.

« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2022, 03:00:15 pm »
Not the answer to your question, but all the noisy mats I've had have been silenced by putting them inside a cheap sleeping bag liner. It also makes for a nicer surface to sleep on if you're not in a bag. I posted this here, or somewhere else, before and someone said it didn't work for them, so there's no guarantee.

I vaguely recall nikki making some sort of mat cover to eliminate squeaks at one point...

Yeah, cotton is the magic interface.

I use a camping duvet and a Big Agnes inflatable mat. I sewed up a cotton sheet to make a bag that slips over the mat, so I have something between the mat and the groundsheet (where the squeaks come from) and between me and the mat. Makes it a tad less rustly, I suppose, but the main thing is the groundsheet squeaking which is greatly (but not entirely) reduced.

We did a wriggle test with a downmat inside the cover, and that received some nods of approval too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2022, 03:14:50 pm »

;D

[not camping]

We had our windows open during last week's heatwave.
Had to laugh at next-door neighbours' audible snoring. Sound had either penetrated double chimney breast, party wall and full fitted wardrobe or entered the windows.

Noisy neighbours!

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2022, 06:29:09 pm »
A bit late if you need one for tomorrow, but this mat reccomended on the Cycling UK forum, for reasons other than noise, also makes this claim from the manufacturer:
Insulated versions utilize multiple layers of suspended Thermal Mirror™ metallized film, resulting in a lighter, remarkably quiet sleeping pad compared to the competition.
I have no experience, hadn't heard of them till an hour ago, looks like a good spec in every regard, weight, R value, pump, and a lifetime warranty.
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/2022-tensor-insulated-regular-sleeping-mat/

« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2022, 04:14:03 pm »
The Sea2Summit ultralight mats aren't noisy, but they're just air inside so they aren't the best choice if you're heading to Antarctica.

Sea to Summit make an ultralight mat that's insulated(called the UltraLight Insulated) as well as one that's just air inside (called the UltraLight). The UltraLight Insulated is insulated to an R-value of 3.1, making it suitable for overnight temperatures down to freezing or a little below.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2022, 04:15:15 pm »

Sea to Summit make an ultralight mat that's insulated(called the UltraLight Insulated) as well as one that's just air inside (called the UltraLight). The UltraLight Insulated is insulated to an R-value of 3.1, making it suitable for overnight temperatures down to freezing or a little below.

Indeed they do, but I can't vouch for the non-noisiness of that one.

« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2022, 04:46:30 pm »
Mine is quite non-noisy, as well as being quite comfortable. Sea to Summit make a fairly bewildering array of air mats, all of which are quite good.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2022, 05:06:38 pm »
I can report that my Etherlight, Sea to Summit, is very comfortable, more so after pints, but noisy. 🤣
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:21:14 am »
I don't know about noisy mats but if someone could make noiseless zips for tent doors, or maybe a different method of fastening them, that would be great.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:33:08 am »
Are any of these discussed mats good for side sleepers?
Regards,

Joergen

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:31:47 am »
The Sea-to-Summit Etherlight XT moreso than the others because it is 10cm thick instead of the usual 7.5cm The women's large may be long enough for you (183cm) and the additional width is nice if you sleep with your knees pulled up. Downside: packed size is larger than the alternatives (and its 100 grams more)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:09:55 pm »
I don't know about noisy mats but if someone could make noiseless zips for tent doors, or maybe a different method of fastening them, that would be great.

Interesting point.  The only beastie-proof solution that springs to mind is Velcro, which has various disadvantages and isn't really an improvement in the noise department.  (At least the sound of a zip is instantly recognisable[1] as such, whereas Velcro is a more alarming generic tearing sound.)  The traditional solution would be toggles or ties or something, and I can imagine that you could do a low-faff modern take on that using strong magnets, but that would let the beasties in.

[1] I'm not really a bothered-by-noise person, so maybe my experience is irrelevant, but if I'm trying to sleep the sounds that disturb me are the unexpected/unusual/scary ones.  If I know what something is and where it's coming from, then I can generally ignore it even if it's fairly loud, as long as it's reasonably consistent.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:35:18 pm »
The Sea-to-Summit Etherlight XT moreso than the others because it is 10cm thick instead of the usual 7.5cm The women's large may be long enough for you (183cm) and the additional width is nice if you sleep with your knees pulled up. Downside: packed size is larger than the alternatives (and its 100 grams more)

thanks - I'll take a look
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:05:59 pm »
Would waxing the zip quieten it ?
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:30:35 pm »
Until it attracts bees...   ;D

« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:27:45 am »
Free honey 😋
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21 on: 03 August, 2022, 04:53:13 pm »
Are any of these discussed mats good for side sleepers?
I'm a side sleeper and quite heavy, 95kg, I've never had a problem with the 7.5cm mats I've had. I've had more of an issue with rolling off them in the night, my latest one is so wide it nearly carpets the entire inner tent, quite a weight penalty but worth it for the luxury,