Author Topic: Bivvy bag choice  (Read 2615 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Bivvy bag choice
« on: 28 July, 2022, 08:21:15 pm »
I am considering buying a bivvy bag for multiday rides.

What do you have or recommend?

I am not adverse to a bit of hardship ....

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Bivvy bag choice
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2022, 08:44:32 pm »
Alpkit Hunka is great in my experience
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2022, 07:46:04 am »
Alpkit Hunka is great in my experience

I have the xl despite being far from XL. Just wanted a bit more space. Have only used once so far so csntvreally give much fo a review

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2022, 08:40:56 am »
I've got the Outdoor Research Helium bivvy. Useful features include the short arcing pole that creates some space around the head, and an inner fly sheet at the top end. This latter feature means that the outer zip can be left open when its not raining, allowing more airflow. Even when it's raining I still leave a little gap, for peace of mind that I'll still have oxygen through the night!

I've used it half a dozen times. It's been perfectly fine, although I've never used any other bivvy bag so can't compare. The first time I used it I was in the open, and a thunderstorm came through. It got a little damp inside, but everything dried out quickly before I setup camp the following night.

I've noticed that the 2022 model is slightly lighter than the one I have, but in other respects it is the same.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2022, 07:36:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I want this for Audax crashing and PBP next year so I do not think I will need the rain cover. Crashing in shop doorways and PBP controls is all that I need. Got cold on the second night last time. Just needed something to hunker down.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2022, 07:43:06 pm »
the sol escape Bivvy is worth a look - it's a reflective bag, but more breathable and long lasting than a foil one and folds down reasonably well .... I used it and a thermalite mattress on LAL recently without a sleeping bag

for me the mattress was the most important part as it stops your body heat being lost to the ground ... if you have enough clothing layers you can retain plenty of body heat from being lost to the air - the ground is the biggest heat sink

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2022, 12:01:48 pm »
I used the Sol on PBP without an air mattress and it was good for about an hour before I woke up cold.  I also have an Alpkit Hunka and Hunka XL which I bought before I started audaxing. I bought the XL because the regular didn't allow me to get an air mattress inside the bag and still have space for a sleeping bag to loft up.  If I was starting over, I'd go for the OR Helium just so that it seals up from midges.  I used the Hunka XL on the West Highland Way audax and had to put my jacket over my face to keep the bugs off.  That wasn't as effective as I would have liked.

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2022, 04:59:21 pm »
For PBP you want the bank heated lobbies if not already packed out.

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2022, 06:09:32 pm »
I have the Rab ultralight bivvy which weights 190g. Don’t think they make that anymore though.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2022, 03:36:06 pm »
what's wrong with the beds?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2022, 08:05:35 pm »

Queues and noise if night time

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:20:06 am »
I used the Sol on PBP without an air mattress and it was good for about an hour before I woke up cold.  I also have an Alpkit Hunka and Hunka XL which I bought before I started audaxing. I bought the XL because the regular didn't allow me to get an air mattress inside the bag and still have space for a sleeping bag to loft up.  If I was starting over, I'd go for the OR Helium just so that it seals up from midges.  I used the Hunka XL on the West Highland Way audax and had to put my jacket over my face to keep the bugs off.  That wasn't as effective as I would have liked.

My sleeping bag has that built in  mossie net, worked perfectly in Scotland a couple of years ago
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:55:47 am »

Queues and noise if night time

Personally I didn't have an issue with this, other than the eastern european chap who decided to take a phone call but stopped when I shouted at him.

Ear plugs, a buff for the eyes and being audax tierd works well enough for me.  There were no queues for sleeping when I stopped.  Make sure you get your sleeping booked in after you have controlled, then go eat/shower or what ever, that way you are booked in and can start to wind down...

I took an Escape Sol and my usual foil emergency blanket as a precaution (as I did on LEL17) but never used either.

I'm a very poor sleeper at the best of times (if I am in a hotel I never get a proper sleep on the first night in a strange bed!) but being Audax tired seems to be the key for me.

Regards,

Joergen

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2022, 05:47:23 pm »

...  Make sure you get your sleeping booked in after you have controlled, then go eat/shower or what ever, that way you are booked in and can start to wind down...

We'll be dissuading folk from doing this at BC - it occupies beds for lengthy periods unnecessarily. The busier the beds are the more people want to do it but the beds are for sleep. If the volunteers follow my instructions we'll be looking out for you, jiberjaber.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:10:39 pm »

...  Make sure you get your sleeping booked in after you have controlled, then go eat/shower or what ever, that way you are booked in and can start to wind down...

We'll be dissuading folk from doing this at BC - it occupies beds for lengthy periods unnecessarily. The busier the beds are the more people want to do it but the beds are for sleep. If the volunteers follow my instructions we'll be looking out for you, jiberjaber.

;D ;D You'll be looking out for a long time!  :facepalm:

I slept at BC on 2017, I controlled, booked my sleeping slot to start in a couple of hours time, went and showered, ate and then went and took my sleeping slot I had booked at the time I had booked it for. Worked fine no problems at all. 

Are you suggesting people are booking slots that should start as soon as they are booked then walking away for a long time? 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2022, 07:39:34 am »
I am considering buying a bivvy bag for multiday rides.

What do you have or recommend?

I am not adverse to a bit of hardship ....

BB

I had an Alpkit Hunka and liked it. Breathable, tough, light, easy to pack, etc.  Eurostar lost it.

I had an OR Helium and hated it.  Not very breathable, used to wake up soaked with sweat which made me cold even when it was mild.  I tried it once with the top zipped up and I woke up gasping for air. 

I've now got a SOL Escape (reusable) which I've used four times and had reasonable sleep.  It's pretty breathable and the reflective aspect makes it feel warm even without much other bedding. 

Based on that I'd recommend either Alpkit or SOL.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2022, 04:15:32 pm »
I've got a Hunka
Other than the time I slept on top of it, I've found even without bag or liner it does hold in heat if you get the draw cords good enough, which is handy.
I've bought a liner to use with it after deciding I would like a little more warmth following 8c at Kinbrace station, and also keeping bare skin off the plastic bag. The main upgrade I'd do is carry some foam sleeping pad for shuders and bahookie.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 18 August, 2022, 12:49:40 am »

I have the hunka, and the AMK SOL Escape Bivvi which Frank suggests.

I took the alpkit when I did Ruska last year. I took the SOL on the TCR.

IME the breathability of the SOL is poor compared to the hunka. The reflective material isn't as warm as I'd like. I slept in a grave yard in Germany, with a half bag and a down sleeping bag, on a think CCF sleep matt, and I was cold after about an hour or so. I don't understand these people who say they can use a bag like this on it's own, or with just a liner. I must sleep really cold compared to everyone else.

If it's not for a lot of use, as a Just In Case™, then the SOL is OK. If you're expecting to make a lot of use of it. Then the hunka is the one to use.

Oh, and to throw it in the mix, if weight is no object, then the British Army Goretex bag remains the best performing bivvi bag I've ever used. But it's waaaay to heavy. So it just lives in the kit box now.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 18 August, 2022, 11:12:35 pm »
Agree re the British Army goretex bag, breathes well, albeit a bit heavy. My calculation is that it's worth the weight for the better sleep. And i think it was twenty quid on eBay.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.