Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 20-21 July 2013  (Read 56481 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 20-21 July 2013
« Reply #300 on: 22 July, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »
Some photographs....

_Lots_ of cyclists.

Dave Lodwig with WobblySpeedyJohn in the background.   (Dave said he just couldn't keep up with John on the ride out of London.)

Bobb showing off his French tan & cool hair.

Damerell

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #301 on: 22 July, 2013, 08:52:03 pm »

Rogerzilla came all the way from Swindon to see us off.

Glowing with good health......

The first beer stop. Wunja, DaveLodwig & Jane.

Not another bloody photograph... I'm going to shove that camera somewhere with a very small aperture......

Jane

Moultonaught

Wow.

Our little encampment on Monday morning.

Jane & Wow.

Travelling light.

A very hungry caterpillar.

A few more photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/sets/72157634747430323/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #302 on: 22 July, 2013, 08:53:51 pm »
Funny looking earwig...

« Reply #303 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »
Funny looking earwig...

Very few earwigs in residence this year.  I think the bloody mosquitoes have eaten them all.... :(

My tent has a white inner, which gives it a calm, spacious feeling.  It also makes it easy to spot the little buggers when they are hiding, waiting for you to fall asleep.  Only problem is they make a nasty stain when you squish them  :sick:

red marley

« Reply #304 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:25:33 pm »

You know that photograph of the Polish cycling team that is a warning to us all never to wear red shorts? I think it might apply to sky blue too. (Sorry Rog)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #305 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »
My daughters always point and yell something about lunchboxes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #306 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »
I think you must be mistaken, Andrew.  That person stepping into the sea cannot be Wowbagger.  That person is wearing pants!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #307 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:56:35 pm »
I think you must be mistaken, Andrew.  That person stepping into the sea cannot be Wowbagger.  That person is wearing pants!

I've a full frontal one I can PM you if you need confirmation.  I would have posted it, but this is a family friendly forum, and Page 3 style smut isn't appropriate.... :D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #308 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
Err.  No thanks
:-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #309 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:34:14 pm »

You know that photograph of the Polish cycling team that is a warning to us all never to wear red shorts? I think it might apply to sky blue too. (Sorry Rog)
My thoughts, exactly....

« Reply #310 on: 22 July, 2013, 11:46:09 pm »
Just got round to sorting a few photos of forummmers I took at the start:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #311 on: 23 July, 2013, 04:03:19 am »
Meanwhile, twonights after the night before, I am taking a precautionary visit to Auntie H's kharsias there has been a lot of spectacular flashing and banging going on out there and I don't want to be trapped in my tent by the rain when it starts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #312 on: 23 July, 2013, 04:19:07 am »
No, it was me, Basil, but I was in disguise. There were lots of other people on the beach and I felt too knackered to be dealing with hordes of autograph-hunting fans.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #313 on: 23 July, 2013, 07:35:37 am »
According to yr.no this rain should stop by 8am. I hope they are right.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #314 on: 23 July, 2013, 11:05:07 am »
The Lantern Rouge of the DunRun set off from here about 9:15am. I was at a doctor's appointment having my ears syringed (fun!) but then thought I might try and catch them up on their way to Brightlingsea.

Sadly I got a puncture which delayed me so much I thought it was impossible mission. I knew there was a downside to my super-fast new front tyres - a few drops of rain and the flints get through. Oh well.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #315 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:48:34 pm »
Well that was much fun.  :)

Nice to meet up with everyone at the start. Valiant generously opened proceedings with the word's "Gin & Tonic?" and when I declined some lovely home made samosas appeared as an alternative.

I kept up with PaulR leaving London simply because the traffic lights let me catch up every so often...  I re-found Jane, Wow, AndrewC, Wunja and DaveLodwig at the 24 hour garage and off we pottered.  First pub stop at about 11.30 and then an enjoyable meander, re-grouping regularly, after Wunja and Jane sped off to warm up.

Visiting Wow's friend Terry 8 miles from the end for a most welcome cup of tea was a pleasant diversion.

Arriving at 2 pm for lovely fish and chips and then a kip on the beach and then after a freshen up, more fish and chips in the pub and then my Bivi was calling. A lovely place to wake up on Monday morning with good company, and the bivi wasn't too boil in the bag as I'd feared..  :)

The 30 mile ride to Diss yesterday morning was lovely. I simply had a list of places names to follow  (thanks Wow). I stopped at each of the 3 village shops I encountered.

Whilst grovelling up a particularly short steep hill I saw DaveLodwig being driven the other way by his other half - both looking fresh after a night in their luxury self catering accomodation.

Despite the heat,  my pottering, and my stopping regularly - to my complete surprise I got to Diss station with 20 mins to spare! and despite only having my trainline ticket on my phone  & not printed out, the 2 train co managers were fantastic.

They'd been at Darsham on Sun making sure everyone got on a train _ they reackoned about 1,000 bikes were carried! and on the Monday they had all the Latitude revellers to deal with being coached to Diss.

A gentle and very hot potter from Liverpool street to Marylebone and then a mile home at the other end.  bath, curry, crap tv,& bed! After 160 miles in total on a knobbly shod  mtn bike caRrying camping kit I felt I deserved the curry.

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #316 on: 23 July, 2013, 01:12:59 pm »
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #317 on: 23 July, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »

Mr Hat knows your secret, Roger  :D

(click to show/hide)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #318 on: 23 July, 2013, 07:54:35 pm »
I suppose I ought to start with a ride report for the Dun Run, because that was what I did, but it seems so long ago now that I will propably have forgotten a whole load of important events. I got the train out of Prittlewell at 8 minutes to 5, arrived in Lpoo St to time and made my way along Brick Lane when, at some lights, I caught up with a bloke on a light bike who had only just overtaken me.

"It's going to be a long night of headwind!" he said encouragingly, and I could only concur.

I arrived at the Pub on the Park to find Dave Lodwig in attendance. I bought us some beer and bumped into a bloke with a Littley Green Compasses shirt on. We exchanged pleasantries and I described Simon Heffer to him so that, should he be in there on occasion, he might like to spill beer on him. Then a few other YACFers arrived, the most sweaty of whom had to have been Rogerzilla, who had high-tailed it from Paddington which burning off Brompton-style all the RLJers he could find along the Euston Road. Wobbly John, Sam Valiant and Damarell all turned up in turn, as did Andrew C. Special chow mein was bought and consumed and somehow I got through 4 pints of beer. This was not planned and did not augur well for the evening. Then Jane turned up with a flotilla from Lewisham Cyclists, including a lady who was in need of a rear light. I supplied one I happened to have brought along for that very eventuality and after further faffage we were off at about 9 pm, I think my latest starting time of all of the 6 Dunwich Dynamos I have done.

Not much happened to begin with save that the delayed start led to fewer riders on the road and more of a flow. Just past Mildenhall Road there was my old school chum and sixth-form bridge partner Felix "Small Slam" Ormerod with his wife Heike and son Peter. We exchanged a few pleasantries, I introduced him to Jane, she took our photo and then were were off to the delights of the Lea Bridge Road.

This was better than normal. Later start=fewer cyclists=good. There was no sign of bush fires as we passed the Whipps Cross roundabout and then we were outside the ring of the North Circular Road and pretty much in Essex. We trundled through Epping Forest and I was generally left behind by the others, but Jane waited at suitable points and off we went again. I definitely had too much luggage. There was a headwind. But mostly I had had too much beer I think. We regrouped at the famous garage, bought some milk, a couple of chocolate bars and some jelly babies and off we went into the night.

We reached Moreton at about 11.30 and Andrew managed to buy more beer - good man! I made my first of many visits to the kharsi (I tend to get bad flatulence when on long rides, especially after too much beer) and it is important to take advantage of places to release it. Somewhere on the road someone's ride had come to a sad end involving a really nasty pot hole and an ambulance. Mostly the road surfaces were pretty good but the odd pot-hole had been strategically placed to inconvenience the unwary. We passed through the Rodings, I saluted Jurek's Pub (the Axe and Compasses in Aythorpe Roding), passed the Black Lion in High Roding and it was indeed completely dark, and then found our way through noisy Dunmow where I was concerned that we were about to be "buzzed" by an oik in a car, but fortunately it didn't happen. I was on my own again now and eventually rejoined the others at the Fox in Finchingfield where I had coffee and one or two of my marmite sandwiches. This was almost 3 am and Pippa and Adamski had passed through about 3 hours previously.

Somewhere just before Sible Hedingham there was a road closure where a bridge was being strengthened. Pedestrians and cyclists were invited to climb a wooden helter-skelter and make our way through a field and down on the other side. I rejoined Team Slow here again - Moultonaught, Dave Lodwig and Andrew C. Jane, who had been suffering a bit from the unexpectedly low temperatures, had headed off with Wunja. We took advantage of the last knockings of the official food stop and had a cup of tea and a bread roll. I sent a text to Jane who replied from Sudbury.

Soon daylight began to make its presence felt. I noticed that at 5.01 precisely my Garmin's screen changed colour so dawn had broken. I had been on the road for 8 hours and had covered exactly 60 miles. This was not by any means rapid progress but the only thing was to try to improve on the forward motion. I decided that I wanted to get to 75 miles by 7.01 and concentrated on this target. My moving average was about 9 mph, which wasn't bad for a night ride in which I was carrying luggage I should have taken in the car on Friday, but I needed frequent stops and that was what was keeping us back. As it happened I wasn't the only one requiring breathers: Andrew had had a soporific kerb stop in which he had somehow stayed upright. Dave seemed OK and Nick proclaimed gratitude for there being someone slow with whom he could cycle. His machine, a Muddy Fox of a certain age and with knobbly tyres, would not have been my choice of steed, but it had a certain panache about it.

The Waldingfields and Monks Eleigh came and went and we kept leapfrogging certain groups whom we had already seen at certain stages in the evening. There was a group of young ladies who seemed to find walking up the hills was preferable to riding them as their chains kept slipping (well that's derailleurs for you) and there was a young chap whose rear changer had completely broken. I arrived to find Dave shortening his chain for him - "Blimey! I never knew you could do that!" - and he was soon riding away with a beautiful single speed completely devoid of graunching noises. There was another chap who had managed to break about 25% of the spokes on his rear wheel, again thanks to a rear changer. His ride was over and he was mostly carrying his bike for the last two miles into Framlingham where his wife was coming to meet him. Team Lantern Rouge should perhaps rename itself Team Broom Wagon.

Shortly after Fram some enterprising souls had done very good business all night and were now giving away cups of tea. We had some and I phoned My Mate Terry Who Art In Sibton to let him know that we would be there in about 45 minutes or an hour. He had the kettle on when we arrived and his wife Janet plied us with bananas and mars bars - all very welcome. After chatting for the best part of an hour we took off for the final effort. Whoever changed the "Dunwich 7" sign to "Dunwich 71" has no artistic merit at all. I have seen it saying "Dunwich 17" and that is just about plausible and therefore much more demoralising for the Dun Run Rookie. Such information is capable of reducing a grown man to tears.

Dave had sped off down the hill - in fact he took on a tremendous burst of speed - so I caught Moltonaught and Andrew for the last time by the Greyfriars ruin and we trundled in together, probably joint Lanterne Rouges. There was Jane, who had been waiting for us for about 6 hours ("I checked my average speed at the half-way point and it was 11 mph. By the time I got here it had gone up to 14 mph.") I ordered and consumed plaice and chips, which was marvellous, and then we went for a kip on the beach. When I awoke the misty drizzle had gone, the sun was shining and I decided to have a wallow. I felt a great deal fresher for my experience and then Terry came down to join the four of us (Dave had made other arrangements) in the Ship for dinner.

At the end of the meal Terry returned home and the other four of us wandered across the pebble to pitch our tents between the beach and the freshwater marsh, where we became dinner for some of the most marauding mosquitoes on the East Coast. I must have fallen asleep almost as soon as my head touched my pillow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #319 on: 23 July, 2013, 09:31:31 pm »
Monday morning began in a fairly traditional way at bowel o'clock. Then I remembered where I was. I slipped a fleece on, found my sandals, emerged from the tent and trudged the quarter-mile-or-so back towards the lavatories where, conveniently, the light stayed on all night to guide the weary traveller on his or her way. It occurred to me that it was as useful to cycle campers as the Southwold lighthouse, flashing away behind me, was to mariners. I homed in, moth-like, to the light of my relief.

It occurred to me when I was half-way towards my goal that I hadn't taken a torch with me. This, I felt, could have been a mistake. The lavatory was very clear and my way was wanly lit by a blood-orange full moon who seemed determined to conceal himself behind Dunwich church tower. I turned to see where I had come from and there was absolutely nothing to indicate the presence of any tents. Neither was there any light in the sky to indicate that dawn was approaching. I harboured thoughts that a man in his late 50s might be helping police with their enquiries after being detained in Walberswick wearing nothing but underpants and a totally inadequate fleece. Walberswick is, after all, pretty sniffy and I doubt that they take too well to that sort of thing. However, thought I, I have business to attend to before I need to worry about the sensibilities of the denizens of Walberswick.

I was surprised when I sat down to find a number of pebbles fall from my underpants and scatter themselves across the concrete floor. I started to rack my brains to try and think how they had got there and then it dawned on me. I must have inadvertently scooped them up when dressing after my swim yesterday afternoon. It was perhaps a sign of how fatigued I was that I hadn't noticed more stones than usual in my underwear but I was still thankful for their absence.

I needn't have worried about my return trip. By the time I started back there were definite signs of daybreak to the north-east, a couple of skylarks were up and about and when I reached our small encampment not only could I hear at least two sets of snoring but I could also easily make out the shape of the tents. I had to be very careful to get into the right tent as Jane's and mine were pretty well identical in the half-light and I am sure she would not have appreciated for one moment a dozy, bleary man trying to share her space with her. Luckily for all of us I got it right first time and found my own tent. Just as I was about to zip it up a skylark soared up from nearby, its song a fountain of pure joy as it ascended unseen into the firmament. I settled down for some more sleep.

It was definitely very light when I awoke for the second time. I stuck my head out of the tent and could see Jane coming back from the beach. We good-morninged one another and I asked her what time it was: 7 am. Good, I thought. Time for a cup of tea. I dressed, found the stove and my pans, filled one from the Ortlieb water bladder I had taken for that very purpose and soon there were four of us enjoying a good cuppa.

It was already very warm so I decided on my skinny dip. I found some clean cycling shorts and took them and my towel over the pebbles. I could see somewhere near the café there were two people already in the sea. I could just make out that they were wearing costumes and I wondered why anyone would. I went in and the water definitely felt considerably warmer than Guernsey had the previous week. Because of the pebbles I swum in my sandals, which was quite an odd experience, but I was very refreshed after the swim and went back to enjoy some raw porridge oats with the last of the milk form Saturday night, which was still good.

After we had packed up, Nick borrowed my map for a short while to make a note of the villages he needed to pass through on his way to Diss.  Andrew was having a Nice Cup of Tea before heading off to Darsham so Jane and I headed off up the hill into what promised to be a sweltering day. Our first stop was going to be Minsmere as Jane hadn't yet had anything by way of breakfast and I could do with some more sustenance. I had tea and a cold drink with my apple pie and cream whereas Jane opted for apricot flapjack and a pot of tea. We continued along the beautiful wooded section and the freshwater marsh until, just before Leiston, we joined civilisation again in the form of a B-road.

I was slightly irritated with myself as I had unintentionally plotted a route which kept us on an A road for longer than we need have been and it was heavy going in the heat. There were one or two pieces of bad driving, but soon enough we were on minor roads again and heading for Snape. There was a large blue plaque on display: "Britten lives here 1913-2013" and of course St. Cecilia's day will be the Great Man's birthday. It will be cold again by then.

We stopped to have a look at the Oyster Inn, which was boarded up the last time I passed that way, in October. The screws were still in the window and door frames but the pub had clearly not reopened. Instead we found the Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley and they sold cold food and even colder drink. We had covered about 25 miles and felt that we were going well.

A short while later we arrived on the north bank of the Deben and found the ferry. The ferryman asked if we would like to book on the Felixtowe to Harwich ferry and we confirmed that we would. It was at that point that we realised we had a problem: we would have only 30 minutes between our arrival on the south side of the Deben in which to cover the 6 miles to the north side of the Stour estuary for the 3.10 ferry to Harwich. This was the penultimate ferry of the afternoon and there wouldn't be space on the final one as everyone who had crossed earlier in the day would want a place on it. Jane and I discussed alternatives, one of which would be to catch a train to Manningtree, but that would spoil things rather because the whole point of this escapade was to travel down the coast using all the ferries available to us.

The ferryman was still on the phone to his counterpart on the Stour. He looked at me with the practised eye of a pumpkin judge in a flower show. "They'll not be able to get to you by ten past three," he opined.

"I don't reckon that's 6 miles to the next ferry," I said to Jane, sotto voce. "I reckon we should go for it."

And so we did. There were a couple of hills and I had to stop because the new bottle cage holding my paraffin bottle on had developed a rattle where a screw had loosened but as soon as that was securely stowed in a pannier we were off again. We veritably flew through Felixstowe and I think a couple of times I surprised Jane with the furiousness of my cycling. Perhaps the most shameful thing we did was completely smoke an old woman on a pavement scooter in the final straight to the beach where the ferry arrives.

I was right. It wasn't 6 miles, it was only 5¾ and we covered them in 24 minutes. We could see the ferry still about 400 yards out, paddling towards us like some sort of water beetle. We were his only customers and he returned the call to his colleague on the Deben. We listened, amused, to half a conversation.

"They made it!"

"Those two cyclists."

"Yes, the old bloke with the white beard."

"Yes they did. They're on here now. And they had time to spare"

When we got out in Harwich we celebrated with a pot of tea and I had a white chocolate magnum.

The trip from Harwich to the campsite was pretty uneventful. The view across the sea was gorgeous and all the time I was tempted to swim, but gradually we headed into hot farmland. The wheat and barley was ripening, there were fields full of onions beginning to bend in preparation for harvesting, maize, an orchard of cordonned apples beginning to blush: a scene of rural plenty completely at odds with the vicious winter that had just been. Slowly, hotly, we inched towards the camp site and the promise of a shower, and eventually we arrived to be met by Auntie Helen who had had a look round on our behalf, expressed the opinion that it wasn't up to much and made us a much better offer, viz. a night camping on her front lawn. That sounded like far too good a deal to dismiss, so we turned right round and hied us off for another couple of miles, Uncle James, cold drinks and a lovely powerful shower. This also guaranteed us a lift to Wivenhoe where we were meeting my son Graham and his girlfriend Christina for a curry.

The evening passed convivially: we all agreed that Jane won the prize for the best choice of curry, a tandoori trout that arrived sizzling in a way that trout most certainly don't when they are swimming around in Scottish lochans, and I made a note that I am going to have one of those the next time I am in Wivenhoe enjoying a curry with Graham and Christina. We four returned to Auntie Helen's residence, Jane collapsed into bed almost straight away whereas I enjoyed a Nice Cup of Tea before I went, and I lay on top of my sleeping bag, not even bothering with my silk liner, the inside of my tent was so warm. Then I slept.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #320 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »
There was a flash and a crash and I was awake. It was still dark apart from the frequent lightning. I didn't think I needed the loo, but something logical in me told me that I was awake and it might be a good idea to try as in a little while it would be pouring with rain and I would get wet, particularly since my waterproof lay locked away with the bicycles in Auntie Helen's Bicycle Palace. I emerged, let myself in using the key with which we had been supplied, went about my business with a deal of success and then returned to my tent. A few minutes later the crashing and flashing was joined by the splatting of fat raindrops on canvas. I dozed fitfully for a while. Then I consulted a weather forecast at yr.no which said that in Colchester, the nearest large town, it would be dry from 8 am.

I sent Jane a text message. "It's a bit wet!"

No reply. I found some clothes and emerged from my tent to find that the rain sounded worse than it was. I went into the house to find that Jane, lovely woman that she is, was already squeezing a tea bag for me. I had some Cheerios with my tea and then started the faffiness of packing.

I had taken far more luggage than Jane. I had two large panniers, a saddlebag and a handlebar bag, all Carradice Super C. Jane's only item was a Camper Longflap. How she fits so much into so little space defeats me. Eventually I was ready and Jane, James and I pedalled off together, Auntie H having left for her doc's appointment somewhat earlier. James turned off at the first junction. The rain had stopped and we had a pretty straight ride to Brightlingsea and our ferry.

My phone rang. It was Helen, hoping to join us for a few miles. I told her we had only just left and she said she would try to catch us up. Sadly, as reported above, a puncture put paid to that plan, so Jane and I continued to Brightlingsea, the tea room and the ferry.

We were both tempted by a cooked breakfast. I had coffee with egg and bacon bap, Jane had scrambled eggs and mushroom on toast. The food was a long time in arriving as there was a sudden influx of customers and our man was working on his own. By the time we had eaten we were both ready for another drink so we ordered it and sat outside this time, as the rain had stopped again. I visited the harbour office to find the ferry times: on the hour. It was now 10.55 and we had ordered drinks. No matter. We were in no rush.

We wandered down to the quay and had a look at the boats. There was one big catamaran which was manoeuvring towards the pontoon. I asked one of the crew what its purpose was: the maintenance of off-shore wind turbines. Eventually our ferry arrived and we were off to East Mersea.

The tide was pretty high when we arrived and I thought we were going to have to push our bikes through some salt water, but we didn't need to. Our wheels got pretty muddy though but soon we were able to cycle again. We rode two abreast on a mostly deserted, fairly wide road and in quick succession two cars, driven by stupid old men, passed us hooting. The drivers gesticulated. We waved back and in the second case our cheery wave was answered with a Churchillian salute. Why these idiots can't understand that we are not doing them any harm and that there was plenty of room to pass us I don't know.

Just before crossing back onto the mainland we found some deepish puddles in order to wash our wheels. There was a fair bit of East Mersea stuck up my rear mudguard and I poked at it with my fingers and much of it fell out. Off we went again, through Peldon, and I told Jane about my exploits as a young pike angler on Abberton Reservoir, which was  just the other side of the hill to our right, in the 1970s. We arrived in Tolleshunt D'Arcy, the village of the crime of the Bamber murders, for which Jeremy has always proclaimed his innocence. We stopped at a pub for lime and soda but didn't stay in the bar because the locals were trying to think of the name of someone else's baby. We didn't know them so sat outside.

After we picked our way through Tolleshunt Knights towards Heybridge the rain started again but neither of us reached for waterproofs. The cool of the raindrops was most refreshing. Once we were on the B road the traffic became quite heavy again and it stayed that way until we turned left just after crossing the river and before the steep hill into the town. It was now about 2 pm and I felt in need of sustenance. There were some cheap and cheerful kiosks at Mill Beach and I found a Cornish pasty and a bottle of orange fitted the bill. Jane had something not entirely unlike tea and some bread pudding.

I had just extracted some paper towels from my trouser pocket to mop the rain of the aluminium chairs we were about to sit on when a woman handed me a much thicker wodge of absorbent paper. "There you are, young man!" said she and I remarked to Jane, who didn't really need to be told as she had heard it herself, that I had been referred to as "young man".

"You are a young man compared to what I've got to look after!" she retorted, waving her hand towards about 10 people who appeared to have been old enough to remember The Relief of Mafeking.

With a spring in our step we set off for our final ferry at Burnham. I phoned our man and he said he closed for business at 4.30. This was now 3.10 and we had a little under 10 miles to cover. The road was busy but we got on with it and covered the miles in under an hour. We cycled off Wallasea Island and headed for Stambridge Mills. Then it was Sutton Road at rush hour and the world's most stupid motorists. There were ridiculous overtaking manoeuvres, unsolicited advice from obese passengers about where on the road a cyclist should ride, and we then overtook everyone who had passed us when they were queuing for the roundabout at Eastern Avenue. We arrived home to a very excited dog and a Mrs. Wow and Dez who were in the process of preparing pizza and garlic bread followed by ice cream and raspberries. Before I saw Jane off across the road at Prittlewell Station, we went online to buy the tickets for our next jaunt, a trip to Pembrokeshire in a little over a month.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #321 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:21:21 am »
Some stats:

Total distance: 221.84

Total time: 23h 51m 41s

Many thanks to Jane for having the idea of returning using those ferries and for being such first-rate company.

There will be some photographs along in a while.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #322 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:04:04 pm »
I wish I had the time to do it in that style Wowbagger!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #323 on: 24 July, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »
Some photos.

The Ormerod family and yours truly.

Late night revellers

Needham Lake being defended from the turrists

Jane and a thatched church

Capel St. Andrew

Jane on Ferry no. 1

Jane's bike on Ferry no. 2

Jane sings. I didn't know she knew so many verses of "It was on the Good Ship Venus"

A container port, or something

A bigger version of the boat on Needham Lake

Tandoori trout

Waiting for the ferry at Brightlingsea

Bikes and Brightlingsea ferry

Support and maintenance vessel for off-shore wind turbines

On the way to Mersea Island

The Brightlingsea Ferry returns

Jane at East Mersea

The Burnham-Wallasea ferry

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #324 on: 24 July, 2013, 03:43:43 pm »
So glad I did this DunRun, so glad I decided to stay up there and do the coastal 4 ferry ride back, and so grateful to the wonderful members of Team Slow, who accompanied me through the Epping badlands.  Some of you will know that this  part of the route and I share an unpleasant recent history and team Slow waited till fairly late on to leave with me.   They were such great company to Moreton,  and this, along with the fact that the fast chaingangs were long gone by the time we rolled along these roads, meant I experienced the DunRun I have known and loved since the days rider numbers were only in the low hundreds.  Wonderful. Time to stop and ask riders if they were OK when stopped at the roadside. Time to stop and help if needed.  Time to spot the amazing moths that flit through the air, time to hear the owls call.
As the ride progressed, the cool, damp cloud that settled upon us made waiting at regroup points a bit problematic for me. A ten minute stop I can handle, but more than that and I chill and shiver in those conditions even with the extra layers I had brought.    After Finchingfield, Wunja and I dropped the rest of Team Slow, and eventually Wunja's need for sleep overtook him.  We stopped at a crossroads where he attempted to nap while I chatted to another resting group of riders.  Then we took off again.  But Wunja had not managed to get a decent sleep at that last stop and as I pulled into Needham Lake in the vain hope the toilets might be open, I realised I had lost him.   As I was about to leave, the group I had chatted to before, turned up.  "Your mate is kipping in a bus shelter," they informed me, a hint of incredulity in their voices.   I reckoned that was just what he needed, so headed off alone.  I passed a few people at the roadside, lent tyre irons, and my trusty Var lever was much appreciated by one guy struggling to refit an extremely skinny tyre.  Then, maybe 15 miles to go I met up with two people I had led up to Hackney Fields.  Then onwards again and just maybe 9 miles to the finish, met 3 more.  Took them a few yards in the wrong direction, which would have been OK except it was down a bit if a hill and two of them really had no legs left.  I promised them they could beat me with big sticks at Dunwich and that seemed to do the trick. The final glide to the beach was so much fun.  Amazingly, I felt fresher than I had at the start.  Starting later had the added advantage of a much smaller queue for breakfast. 
Over breakfast  and the following hours waiting for the rest of my group, I met person after person I knew from other rides, other DD's etc. including Auntie Helen and the lovely Poppy. (Terrific flapjacks, AH). I went down to the coaches to fulfill my promise to Bermondsey Bill to help out loading them up.  However, he had done such a good job of organising it all, my help was not needed so I went back to the warmth and comfort of my sleeping bag.  The hours just flew by, watching the madness and mayhem subside, as rider after rider left in car, coach or awheel.  Gradually, it became quieter and quieter and when Team Slow arrived there were maybe just a hundred or so scattered around the cafe and the beach.  A couple more people who recognised me from ages back came up for a brief reminisce.  Finally, we rolled out our roll mats and dozed on the beach.  Paul R pottered up for a brief chat.  As evening approached, just a few stragglers remained.  Dunwich, the quiet, isolated little beach, constantly returning bit by it to the sea, was back.