General Category > On The Road

DOTD

(1/222) > >>

simonp:
Cyclists only need apply.

Today I nominate the Fixie rider on Euston Rd who came up from behind, between taxi behind me and curb, undertaking me, then cutting across in front of me from the left, as traffic moved off, nearly taking out my front wheel. "Sorry mate" doesn't really cut it.

Crumbling Nick:
OK, I'll take the bait.

What does DOTD mean, and does it matter for someone who is wise/fortunate enough to cycle in London infrequently :demon:?

I'll add that I've cycled along Euston Rd. several times, usually in rush hour, with a few kg. of baggage, and have mixed views about the ethics of all the categories of road user apart from bus drivers (pretty good) and taxi drivers (that's a national disease). Lots of cyclists misbehave. Many don't.

At a slightly more reflective level...

London isn't the first city to discover the benefits of cycling. Is the bad behaviour of a few cyclists a function of local attitudes, or is it all a lot more complex?

LittleWheelsandBig:
My guess is Richard Of The Day.

Zipperhead:
Mine was the stupid woman last night who, as I was braking to a stop behind another two cyclists for a give way came alongside me and pulled in front. Then when we set off again she was slower so I passed her easily going up the next slope.

A couple of sets of lights further on, as I was stopping behind another cyclist she came alongside and cut in front again. I politely pointed out that that was the second time she had pulled of that stupid manouvre, but I couldn't understand what she was saying behind her smog mask.

A bit further along when the traffic was so snarled up that even bicycles couldn't move she took to the pavement.

I don't mind if cyclists want to kill and injure themselves, but I do get annoyed when they try and involve me in their stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec:
The bloke on the cycle path yesterday who was so engrossed in adjusting his computer/GPS/other bar-mounted device that he didn't even realise he'd veered across the whole width of the path and was about to collide with me going the other way. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been there to wake him up, he'd have gone into the bushes at the edge of the path.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version