Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210775 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #1025 on: 05 June, 2022, 05:05:37 pm »
^ I really hate it when someone is being a cockwomble and then doubles down on it as opposed to apologising or fucking off.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1026 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:03:41 pm »
"Punching a young man in his twenties" was not a euphemism... then again...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1027 on: 29 June, 2022, 07:14:44 am »
Last night on way home in van and see a guy on a bike making his way across a multi traffic light junction whilst they would have been red for him.

I overtook him and then at the next lights with a LH lane going left or straight on and right hand one to go right. I stopped well pass the stop line as went through on green but was an ambulance coming other way so stopped to let it through. The guy cycles on right hand side of right hand lane then cuts across car next to me and me to go straight on. Thankfully for him I was paying attention as you wouldn't be expecting a bike to come there.

Next set of lights and he does the same nearly getting taken out by car turning right who honked him. The guy on bike stops blocking cars coming other way and starts shouting at the car driver

He then cut across me again and headed off to probably get run over further up the road

« Reply #1028 on: 06 August, 2022, 02:48:18 pm »
About 20 of them today. Helping the brother collect a bed and as we approached a short narrow bridge which can was only wide enough for one vehicle at a time and which we had priority on a group of riders came the other way. My brother despite saying bloody cyclists evey time he sees one to wind me up stopped to let them come through and not one acknowledged us.

« Reply #1029 on: 15 August, 2022, 07:43:36 pm »
The wheel-sucker who took a tow off me from East Ashling to Aldsworth before overtaking without so much as a wave or word of thanks. ::-)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1030 on: 23 August, 2022, 06:38:30 pm »
Combined effort:  Me, for assuming that the BSOist in front was looking over his shoulder at me and slowing down because I was on an interesting bike and he wanted a better look.  Him for then swerving right to jump onto the pavement without indicating.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1031 on: 05 October, 2022, 10:42:42 pm »
It's that time of year again

RED LIGHTS GO ON THE BACK you div.  :facepalm:

Edited 'caus  div may be more appropriate than dick.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1032 on: 05 October, 2022, 11:00:20 pm »
Ah.  You take me back to my commuting days.  I had a name for all the regulars I would see.
Mr Back to Front was an elderly gentleman who had red on the front and blinken white on the rear.
Never asked him about it as we always passed as he was descending  the Col de Priory Rd as I was grunting  up it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1033 on: 09 November, 2022, 07:54:30 am »
It's getting dark in the evenings and it's also wet so lights and mudguards are a good idea

Saw someone on a cycle yesterday with one of those mountain bike type mudguards that clamp on the seat post and stick out over the rear wheel. They unfortunately had the light below this on the seat post so pretty much obscured. 

« Reply #1034 on: 09 November, 2022, 08:18:53 am »
I was on taxi duty the other night turning left at a congested junction, in the rain, through Forest Gate, a populous area with typically inadequate roads and sodium street lighting. I was forcibly reminded of the issues caused by electric bikes, especially as deployed by food delivery riders. A bike in black, with a dark skinned rider wearing dark clothes and a dark hoodie, no lights. And before you say "Well, you saw him, didn't you?" I only saw him as he passed in front of me after I had started moving. About six inches in front of me, at what looked like derestricted speed.

Had there been a collision, it would have been an accident, but likely my fault as I was joining the main road. It did make me think that having some sort of identification on the delivery bag, reporting for the purpose of might be useful, if impractical.

It did make me treble check before opening my door in the road, and sure enough there was another. At least this one had a rear light. There seems to be a common belief among some that front lights aren't any practical use.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1035 on: 09 November, 2022, 08:26:11 am »
They are young and blessed with still good night vision, but not with the realisation that others are not.

By sodium lighting, if you mean the horrible orangey-yellow stuff – yuck! Seems to suck all colour out of surfaces. I didn't think there was much of it left, and it was practically a British speciality to begin with (at least, I've only ever seen it in two other countries).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1036 on: 09 November, 2022, 01:51:55 pm »
Low-pressure sodium is the distinctive orangy one.  It's quite energy efficient (on a par with LEDs) but the spectrum is very narrow.  Which is good news for astrononononomers, who can just filter it out, and bad news for anyone who wants to see in colour, because there won't be any.

« Reply #1037 on: 18 November, 2022, 05:09:00 pm »
They are young and blessed with still good night vision, but not with the realisation that others are not.

By sodium lighting, if you mean the horrible orangey-yellow stuff – yuck! Seems to suck all colour out of surfaces. I didn't think there was much of it left, and it was practically a British speciality to begin with (at least, I've only ever seen it in two other countries).

If you suffer from what an article I read recently calls 'Binmenism' then you will miss the sodium lights.  Binmenism is a vision problem that is unrelated to eyesight:
 https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/nov/15/who-remembers-proper-binmen-facebook-nostalgia-memes-help-explain-britain-today

I thought it was rather a good word.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #1038 on: 22 November, 2022, 01:07:42 pm »
Here's a brave chap:
https://road.cc/content/news/blind-man-fined-cycling-while-drunk-297533

Having said that, when we lived in Newark we had a blind pal with no vision at all whose party trick when blind drunk was to cycle along the River Trent towpath.
He also had a small boat that he'd take to the pub in Farndon navigating by ear.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1039 on: 24 November, 2022, 06:31:31 am »
Anyone here remember the Simpson twins? One had a genetic condition that rendered him totally blind. He stoked their tandem. His brother often had to follow the white line. They covered some impressive distances.

« Reply #1040 on: 27 November, 2022, 07:08:53 am »
A collective for the domino's delivery cyclists.

Last week had one swerve up onto the pavement I was walking on and I think say something unsavoury when I looked round at him

Yesterday driving along and spot one cycling about a metre out from the kerb but on the wrong side of the road. I held back as didn't want to undertake him and when a car came other way he pulled up onto the pavement

« Reply #1041 on: 22 January, 2023, 03:01:16 pm »
Fortunately, nothing happened, but I found myself in the position of impotent onlooker to an impending disaster.

Father and daughter are out on bike, father late 30s/early 40s, sufficient cycling gear to suggest they viewed themselves as "a cyclist", daughter is about 6 or 7 at a guess.

Location is here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5587901,0.0422002,101m/data=!3m1!1e3 - there is a "Quietway" running north up Aldersbrook road, across the zebra and left into Wanstead Park Avenue, I'm walking up this road, you are unceremoniously dumped into the road if you follow the path. Father is doing this, and could and should have seen what I saw - a car approaching the junction fast - the appropriate action would have been to stop, but no, he swings around the corner. He may have expected his daughter to stay on the pavement, but she followed him, the approaching car missed her by inches.

Father shouts at daughter. I say to him,"that was your fault, actually" he tells me to "stay out of it". Given the shock he must have had, I decided to. I hope he considers his actions later.

« Reply #1042 on: 05 March, 2023, 07:50:12 am »
Strangely suicidal red light jumper. Most RLJs seek a gap in the traffic, but this one was too seemingly too impatient for that and simply went in front of oncoming cars forcing them to stop, which they did without a horn being sounded. I also noticed he was ‘riding’ his bike like a hobby horse. When I caught up with him I noticed that his wreck of a bike had no chain.  He had travelled towards the lights downhill so I suppose he went straight through them because he didn’t have any brakes either! For safety he relied on a large fluorescent red overcoat.

I may have it on camera, but only from a distance. I wonder what Grant Shapps would make of it?

« Reply #1043 on: 09 April, 2023, 05:48:44 pm »
Multiple Dicks.
I had to be in Westminster just after 5am today and although I usually avoid riding into town the train service was not available so rode up.
Left home just after 4am and managed two turns onto a local main road then was promptly tailgated by a bloody private hire minicab who then decided that overtaking me required driving on the wrong side of the central bollards. He nearly crashed into a vehicle coming the other way in his haste to get past me. There were only two bollards covering 30 metres max.
Then for good measure in the 23K journey to town four more close passes and one total fail to spot me at a roundabout while crossing Blackheath requiring swift avoiding action. All of them private hire minicabs.
Apparently being 6ft tall in a bright yellow new reflective Altura jacket and one flashing light and one non flashing light front and rear is clearly not enough. ( Two lights each end )
Now home after a mixed bike and train journey without more incident and researching bike cams.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1044 on: 12 April, 2023, 03:04:38 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1045 on: 06 May, 2023, 12:26:02 pm »
Youth wearing a hoodie who pulled straight out a side road without looking to see what was coming.  A hybrid at 20mph on electric makes very little sound and I suspect he thought because he could hear nothing, it was safe to go.  I resisted the temptation to blast the horn at him!

Even cats sitting in the middle of the road don't hear me approach and get a shock when I am very close.  A bell, like a tram, would be handy.

« Reply #1046 on: 06 May, 2023, 01:08:06 pm »
They are available from places like shops.

« Reply #1047 on: 15 May, 2023, 09:44:53 pm »
The driver approaching from behind as I was cycling up a hill, who very nearly rammed me at speed.  I heard car swerve, and pass very close.  The rear video is shocking, quite shaken by it - driver on a collision course, extremely late move & close pass around me.  That was nearly it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1048 on: 05 June, 2023, 05:52:01 pm »
Chap on a road bike this morning. I was following him through the village. We were behind a car which was behind a learner. A fairly timid learner, but we all have to start somewhere.
Coming up to a blind left hand corner, no pavement on the left, chicane just round the corner, he decides to overtake both cars and to pass the large van (catering company delivering to one of the pubs) which was coming the other way. He passed that on the wrong side, so going right onto the other side of the road.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1049 on: 05 June, 2023, 06:03:59 pm »
^ probably drives like that as well.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.