Author Topic: Tubeless for Dummies  (Read 195464 times)

Re: Tubeless for Dummies
« Reply #1225 on: 14 May, 2022, 09:24:56 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today. Not sure how long it's been there. I only noticed it as I was cleaning the bike.

Anyway, this is what it looks like:

To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit! Is it going to explode if I ride it? I'm assuming the safest course of action is a new tyre. It's a Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season 11Storm....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1226 on: 14 May, 2022, 09:50:03 pm »
poke it and see

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1227 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:05:24 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today.
To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit!

Oh, for heaven's sake, just squeeze it!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1228 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:05:32 pm »
I had that once with a g-one where the outer separated from the carcass. Long time ago.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1229 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:19:08 pm »
I noticed a big blister in my front tyre today. Not sure how long it's been there. I only noticed it as I was cleaning the bike.

Anyway, this is what it looks like:

To touch it's like a big squidgy, puss filled zit! Is it going to explode if I ride it? I'm assuming the safest course of action is a new tyre. It's a Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season 11Storm....

Joy - another failure mode.

You need to lance the blister - and n video please and the. Share with us all.

« Reply #1230 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »
I think I'll order some new tyres first - then I'll squeeze it!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1231 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:15:40 am »
Back to the Gravel Kings – they are very floppy and that seems to be the problem. Mind you, the rear seems to be seated okay on an identical rim. I hadn't considered distortion to the rim but while riding yesterday I could see the front wheel now needs truing; nothing too serious just a bit of wibble.

However, the back, which is tubeless, went fairly soft about three quarters of the way through the ride. I'd done 50 or 60 miles and it had been fine, then felt soft. No visible puncture or sealant on the outside. I put some more air in, after which it was fine – just been out to check it this morning and it seems to be holding pressure overnight – but as I took the cap off, I saw the valve nut was undone! I think it had probably come undone as I took the cap off, but it's possible I had failed to do it up after pumping the tyres up that morning. I'm really not sure what the effect would be of riding with an loose valve nut, as you need to depress the core to release air – so theoretically nothing should happen. ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1232 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:56:43 pm »
Muc-off now do a resealable pouch of sealant with a Presta valve adaptor for emergency refills on the road.  I have bought one and seems a good idea for long distance touring where you have put a plug in but have lost sealant.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1233 on: 15 May, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »
What actually happens if you mix sealants? Is it like crossing the streams?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1234 on: 15 May, 2022, 06:35:34 pm »
Some are ammonia based, others are not; synthetic latex, natural latex, no latex, you name it they got it. Mixing may work, give a water/oil result, or instant hardening, or dissolve your tyre, or cause total protonic reversal.

Completely unrelated, but based on very recent experience: anchovies (worms, whatever you call them) have limited shelf live. They get less flexible and won't peel off the plastic anymore. Also: don't try to make the hole of the tool to push the worm through any larger, not even gently. The result will only be useful to skewer olives (the tasty kind).

« Reply #1235 on: 07 June, 2022, 06:37:29 pm »
Persistent slow puncture, decided that as I had bought a tubless repair kit (as suggested by flatus) I should give it a try.
Really simple.  Fingers crossed it works.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1236 on: 13 June, 2022, 05:51:25 pm »
Persistent (very) slow puncture.  A possible cause is the valve core which is a bit bent; can I just swap it from a core from a tubed tyre? 

(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1237 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:51:02 am »
I had an experience while riding up to York the other week that made me question the wisdom of tubeless tyres. I came out of a cafe to find my tubeless rear tyre completely flat. I think it had been feeling a little soft before but nothing that indicated imminent flatness. So I had a look at it and there was no obvious puncture nor any sealant leaking anywhere. Pumped it up and it held for about two minutes. Still couldn't see any obvious cause. Pumped it up again and noticed that air seemed to be leaking from where the valve enters the rim, so I tightened the valve lock ring. That seemed to do the trick but I decided to cut short that day's ride just to be safe. Rode about half an hour to campsite, pitched, tea, shower. Then the tyre was going down again. This time, as I undid the valve cap, was when it happened; the valve core had got jammed into the cap. Cue instant deflation and the tyre unseated.

No way I'd be able to reseat it with just a frame-fitting pump, but luckily I had a tube. I removed as much sealant as I could (easy from the rim, more difficult from the tyre) noticing as I did so that it had formed a few solid lumps – presumably this is where it had sealed holes? Perhaps it wasn't necessary to remove the sealant but I wasn't sure how it would behave with a tube. Interestingly, as I inflated the tube it squeezed some of the remaining sealant out of otherwise invisible holes that no sealant had come out of while in tubeless mode.

The following day I had an experience that made me question the wisdom of tubes! I had a puncture while on a track just east of Leeds. It was easy to find the hole and identify and remove the object, a piece of glass. I take out my puncture kit. This particular kit is a few years old but the tube of glue is unopened. I pierce it and... nothing happens. I can't squeeze any glue out. It has somehow set solid inside the tube. I don't know how this is possible in an unopened tube but there it was.

Fortunately I had instant patches too. These have always worked well for me in the past but this time I had trouble getting one to stick. I don't know if this was because of the sealant that inevitably coated the tube or just because of wet sweaty hands (it was a hot humid day and I'd previously put disposable gloves on to take the wheel out – I find it easier to prevent my hands getting covered in chain dirt than to clean them afterwards). Eventually I got one to stick and that got me to York, where it was the Rally and I got two tubes for a fiver. But until then, it was the backup to the backup to the backup that saved me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1238 on: 02 July, 2022, 04:54:17 pm »
Well that shows the wisdom of backup backups for your backup  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

« Reply #1239 on: 02 July, 2022, 05:29:56 pm »
good rule of thumb for this summer's tour, and there was me thinking of going light and only carrying one tube with a tubeless setup

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1240 on: 02 July, 2022, 05:47:52 pm »
Always have a plan B X, Y and Z.

« Reply #1241 on: 03 July, 2022, 05:00:51 pm »
Back to the Gravel Kings – they are very floppy and that seems to be the problem. Mind you, the rear seems to be seated okay on an identical rim. I hadn't considered distortion to the rim but while riding yesterday I could see the front wheel now needs truing; nothing too serious just a bit of wibble.

However, the back, which is tubeless, went fairly soft about three quarters of the way through the ride. I'd done 50 or 60 miles and it had been fine, then felt soft. No visible puncture or sealant on the outside. I put some more air in, after which it was fine – just been out to check it this morning and it seems to be holding pressure overnight – but as I took the cap off, I saw the valve nut was undone! I think it had probably come undone as I took the cap off, but it's possible I had failed to do it up after pumping the tyres up that morning. I'm really not sure what the effect would be of riding with an loose valve nut, as you need to depress the core to release air – so theoretically nothing should happen. ???

I put Gravelkings back on the Black Hallett for a couple of long rides.  the rims (650B) are Velo Orange, which have a slight shoulder each side of the well, to retain the tyre bead.  The tyres being, as you say, extremely floppy, they tend not to want to seat.  One of mine needed a blast at 170psi to pop in on.  But once they're on they stay there, and they are a fast-rolling tyre.

If the pressure starts dropping more than a little over a week, or if one drops significantly more than the other, I'll top up the sealant.

ElyDave

« Reply #1242 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:37:55 pm »
Expecting a lot of struggle from the apocalyptic tales of non-seating tyres, I was pleasantly surprised that (once I'd sorted out my pump, and stopped it buggering about sending the air to the wrong place) the tyres seated first time, with a few pops as the beads settled out and they are holding pressure quite happily so far with no sealant as yet.

« Reply #1243 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:40:01 pm »
Expecting a lot of struggle from the apocalyptic tales of non-seating tyres, I was pleasantly surprised that (once I'd sorted out my pump, and stopped it buggering about sending the air to the wrong place) the tyres seated first time, with a few pops as the beads settled out and they are holding pressure quite happily so far with no sealant as yet.

They look relatively large volume, which have always been easier.

ElyDave

« Reply #1244 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:40:39 pm »
650b, 40mm

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1245 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:58:21 pm »
What are they? I can't read the labels on this screen.

ElyDave

« Reply #1246 on: 08 July, 2022, 09:14:04 pm »
Teravail Cannonball, went on quite easy as well with just thumb pressure

« Reply #1247 on: 08 July, 2022, 10:12:48 pm »
The file-tread Gravelkings I refitted are very lightweight tyres.  I've had two punctures so far, both in the front.  One sealed immediately, losing about 5psi, other required an en route top-up, but has been fine since.  They've probably done about 1400km since I fitted them in May. 

« Reply #1248 on: 08 July, 2022, 10:18:45 pm »
I have Gravelkings but haven’t had the nerve to make the jump to tubeless. How would that compare to the number of punctures you might have expected in 1400km on tubed tyres?

« Reply #1249 on: 08 July, 2022, 10:35:46 pm »
I have Gravelkings but haven’t had the nerve to make the jump to tubeless. How would that compare to the number of punctures you might have expected in 1400km on tubed tyres?

I don't think it would make a difference to the number of punctures, just to the degree of inconvenience. 
When I had them on previously I put a couple of worm repairs in, and had one puncture that required a tube - but the tyre was pretty well worn by that time and I was using them over some grotty roads and tracks.