Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846206 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #725 on: 30 July, 2009, 11:07:54 am »
Half way through Alastair Reynold's Zima Blue (Moby Dick proving too heavy for airplane/jetlag reading ???) an anthology of short stories/novellas. As with many such compilations it's a bit of a curate's egg but I'm enjoying it overall.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #726 on: 30 July, 2009, 11:08:18 am »
I considered buying Boy racer, but I reckoned that there were a few chapters yet unwritten...

Hopefully most of it...  ;D
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #727 on: 30 July, 2009, 12:03:52 pm »
The structure made it not appear to be overtly padded.

Well, I thought there was lots of fairly trivial and not especially interesting detail that might have been left out if there had been more to write about, but I agree that it was a lot better than many other biogs and certainly a lot better than I was expecting.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

« Reply #728 on: 30 July, 2009, 12:46:18 pm »
The structure made it not appear to be overtly padded.

Well, I thought there was lots of fairly trivial and not especially interesting detail that might have been left out if there had been more to write about, but I agree that it was a lot better than many other biogs and certainly a lot better than I was expecting.

d.

Wheras I quite liked the detail and minutiae.. To each their own.

..d

bikenerd

« Reply #729 on: 30 July, 2009, 12:55:34 pm »
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.  Arthur works in the Raleigh factory making Sturmey Archer hub shells, doesn't he? :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #730 on: 01 August, 2009, 02:31:03 pm »
The Hungry Cyclist. Tours 10,000 miles through the americas and puts on weight with a series of epic adventures in search of the perfect meal.

All that effort?  He should have settled for one of El Supremo's audaxes ;D

Smoke And Mirrors ~ Neil Gaiman.  Short stories and peoms.  Ded gud.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #731 on: 01 August, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
Currently I'm reading the light hearted The Ascent of Rum Doodle by W. E. Bowman.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.  Arthur works in the Raleigh factory making Sturmey Archer hub shells, doesn't he? :)
I cannot remember where he worked, but the book's brilliant. I should re-read it.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

ChrisO

« Reply #732 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:33:09 am »
I've just finished 'Matter' by Iain M Banks.
I think he's still going soft in his old age.

I enjoyed Matter. It was certainly a lot better than his last non-SF work (The Steep Approach to Garbadale)
I enjoyed it too, he just seems to have an urge to wrap everything up in a happy ending these days though.

Just about to start Matter.

Haven't got around to buying The Steep Approach to Garbadale as I didn't think much too of Dead Air (although it's better than I thought it was going to be having read the blurb) - is it worth a read?

I was very excited when Matter came out but found it disappointing. Taken in isolation it's a perfectly OK book, but taken as part of the series I thought the Culture elements felt bolted on.

His non-SF writing I gave up on ages ago, though I loved the Wasp Factory and Complicity and the Crow Road.

Anyway, what have I been reading... I've just finished all Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels - Berlin Noir, The One From the Other and A Quiet Flame. Apparently there's a new one coming out in September - If The Dead Rise not - and I am drooling for it.

I don't know how I'd never been alerted to this series. It's as good as finding that Raymond Chandler is alive and well and writing novels about a hard-boiled German detective.

On holiday next week I will be taking The Rider, which I've also somehow never read. And In Search of Robert Millar.

And I will try to read David Simon's Homicide but I suspect my wife - currently undergoing withdrawal symptoms having finished The Wire box sets - will probably give me a choice between handing it over or losing a testicle. Luckily she's a fast reader.

David Martin

« Reply #733 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:16:35 am »
The man who cycled the world has just landed on my desk.

Page 245 - excerpt from diary:
Met funny, rather large and bearded welsh man on his bike, at garage, who had just finished tour of the west

Anyone we know?  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #734 on: 03 August, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »
And I will try to read David Simon's Homicide but I suspect my wife - currently undergoing withdrawal symptoms having finished The Wire box sets - will probably give me a choice between handing it over or losing a testicle. Luckily she's a fast reader.

Despite its mighty proportions (600+ pages) it's a very easy read, so she'll be done with it very soon. Not enough of a delay to be worth risking a testicle over.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #735 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »
I've just finished 'Matter' by Iain M Banks.
I think he's still going soft in his old age.

I enjoyed Matter. It was certainly a lot better than his last non-SF work (The Steep Approach to Garbadale)
I enjoyed it too, he just seems to have an urge to wrap everything up in a happy ending these days though.

Just about to start Matter.

Haven't got around to buying The Steep Approach to Garbadale as I didn't think much too of Dead Air (although it's better than I thought it was going to be having read the blurb) - is it worth a read?

I was very excited when Matter came out but found it disappointing. Taken in isolation it's a perfectly OK book, but taken as part of the series I thought the Culture elements felt bolted on.

His non-SF writing I gave up on ages ago, though I loved the Wasp Factory and Complicity and the Crow Road

We appear to have a few Iain Banks fans on here....

His new book "Transition" is now listed on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transition-Iain-Banks/dp/0316731072/ref=pd_sim_b_4  with some discussion of it here http://www.iainbanksforum.net/showthread.php?t=59 . I was pretty disappointed in both "Garbadale" and "Matter" so hope this will be a return to form.

They also list Alistair Reynolds new book as well http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminal-World-Alastair-Reynolds/dp/0575077182/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

David Martin

« Reply #736 on: 04 August, 2009, 09:12:55 am »
The girl who played with fire somehow managed to fall into my shopping trolley last night.. So once I finish rereading Ivanhoe and have made my way around the world with Mark Beaumont, I will have that to look forward to.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #737 on: 04 August, 2009, 10:18:50 am »
Anyway, what have I been reading... I've just finished all Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels - Berlin Noir, The One From the Other and A Quiet Flame. Apparently there's a new one coming out in September - If The Dead Rise not - and I am drooling for it.

Oh I loved those books, thanks for the heads up about his new book ChrisO, not long to wait now  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #738 on: 04 August, 2009, 10:51:05 am »
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest isn't out until October 1st >:(

Bah!

ChrisO

« Reply #739 on: 05 August, 2009, 05:11:45 am »

HA ! I had an email from my wife saying that she had opened my box from Amazon and that if I truly loved her I would let her read Homicide.

Happily I do. Though I'm not sure if it extends to overlooking the charge of interfering with the mail.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #740 on: 06 August, 2009, 04:44:47 pm »

We appear to have a few Iain Banks fans on here....

His new book "Transition" is now listed on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transition-Iain-Banks/dp/0316731072/ref=pd_sim_b_4  with some discussion of it here http://www.iainbanksforum.net/showthread.php?t=59 . I was pretty disappointed in both "Garbadale" and "Matter" so hope this will be a return to form.

And Transition is also being released as a podcast (abridged version) if that's your thing: link
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #741 on: 06 August, 2009, 05:11:06 pm »
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest isn't out until October 1st >:(

Bah!

I share your grump.

Bah.

Surely something could be hastened with judicous application of ice-cream and shovel?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

David Martin

« Reply #742 on: 06 August, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »
Surely something could be hastened with judicous application of ice-cream and shovel?

Why? He is already dead.

« Reply #743 on: 06 August, 2009, 06:19:24 pm »
Just finished 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. Elegantly written, moving and a pacy story. Feel sad that it's over  :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #744 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:26:41 am »
Pies And Prejudice ~ Stuart Maconie.  Nowhere near as good as Cider With Roadies :-\

Zoidburg

« Reply #745 on: 08 August, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
Ubik - Phillip K Dick.

« Reply #746 on: 08 August, 2009, 09:14:51 pm »
Miles From Nowhere (again). By an American lady (her name escapes me at the mo and the book's upstairs - I only read in bed!) who survived a round the world redal only to be killed on her bike training for a triathlon.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #747 on: 08 August, 2009, 11:39:06 pm »
The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes  - Mark Unwin

True story about an officer in Wellington's peninsular army who amongst other things did quite a bit code breaking. Amusingly I have learnt that Wellington had to reprimand his officers and troops for getting blind drunk in Lisbon and upsetting the locals by their inebriated displays. They also it seems tended to talk LOUDLY and s l o w l e y in English at the Portuguese. It seems nothing changes.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #748 on: 08 August, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »
Shoeshop Bears

One from my childhood that it's taken decades to track down again.  Still makes me cry.

Zoidburg

« Reply #749 on: 09 August, 2009, 02:13:46 am »
The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes  - Mark Unwin

True story about an officer in Wellington's peninsular army who amongst other things did quite a bit code breaking. Amusingly I have learnt that Wellington had to reprimand his officers and troops for getting blind drunk in Lisbon and upsetting the locals by their inebriated displays. They also it seems tended to talk LOUDLY and s l o w l e y in English at the Portuguese. It seems nothing changes.
The French lodged an official complaint via diplomatic channels about  British troops getting shit faced before a battle because they would then hack French soldiers to pieces with the issue infantry sword - instead of killing them in a clean and soldier like manner with a bayonet.

Rum -  It wins wars. ::-)