Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 843415 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1125 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:35:37 pm »
I try hard not to take them off, though I have to say that my previous experience of cottered chainsets is that the nuts like to ease themselves ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1126 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:38:48 pm »
I miss the ol' cottered chainsets.

There was something nice about having the manufacturers name (the better ones) making up part of the spoking.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1127 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:41:11 pm »
If I wasn't an Irish nationalist, I'd love to get an Ulster hand chainset for my Rudge...
Getting there...

« Reply #1128 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:53:12 pm »
If I wasn't an Irish nationalist, I'd love to get an Ulster hand chainset for my Rudge...

Oh yeah, I remember seeing THAT one before.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1129 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:57:00 pm »
Just finished The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. As that followed The Road by Cormac McCarthy I think I am due for a happy book now.

Well it is Holocaust Memorial Day to day so its very appropriate!

« Reply #1130 on: 27 January, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »
George Orwell's "Animal Farm". I dimly remember reading it many years ago, but I was too young to really appreciate it and I've forgotten too much of it.

« Reply #1131 on: 31 January, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »
Tim Powers excellent "Declare". I must look up some of his other stuff. 

The Anubis Gates
is one of my favourite ever SF novels (or perhaps it's urban fantasy...) - by turns ridiculous, literary, zany and really quite beautiful, it has time-travel, magic, gypsies and Samuel Taylor Coleridge in a dirty, dangerous London... what more could you want?

Just finished "The Anubis Gates",  a very good read, thanks for the recommendation.   Next one's going to be a toss up between Jon Courtenay Grimwood's "Redrobe" or Kim Stanley Robinson's  "Icehenge"
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1132 on: 01 February, 2010, 03:38:25 pm »

The Anubis Gates
is one of my favourite ever SF novels (or perhaps it's urban fantasy...) - by turns ridiculous, literary, zany and really quite beautiful, it has time-travel, magic, gypsies and Samuel Taylor Coleridge in a dirty, dangerous London... what more could you want?

Just finished "The Anubis Gates",  a very good read, thanks for the recommendation.   Next one's going to be a toss up between Jon Courtenay Grimwood's "Redrobe" or Kim Stanley Robinson's  "Icehenge"

Hmm. Neither are their best works. Redrobe has more guns.

« Reply #1133 on: 01 February, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »

The Anubis Gates

Hmm. Neither are their best works. Redrobe has more guns.

So I believe, but I've not read anything before the Arabesque series.  Redrobe is supposed to have a talking gun, the last one of those I encountered was in Ken Mcleods "Star Fraction"  :)

I've read and enjoyed most of KSR's other stuff so Icehenge is just tidying up the bits. I think I read "The Gold Coast" when it was first published and picked up "Pacific Edge" and "The Wild Shore" on Ebay a few years ago. Good stuff.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1134 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »
I've just finished The Damned Utd and enjoyed it so much I think I'll see if I can get secondhand copies of Cloughie's autobiographies on Amazon.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #1135 on: 01 February, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »
Me Cheeta: The Autobiography

a great mind thinks alike

Deborah

« Reply #1136 on: 01 February, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »
Single Man. I like to the read book before I see the film.

« Reply #1137 on: 02 February, 2010, 11:20:20 am »
Magnus Mills - The Maintenance of Headway.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1138 on: 02 February, 2010, 06:36:12 pm »
An Edgar Allan Poe collection. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1139 on: 02 February, 2010, 08:21:22 pm »
The True Blood Omnibus by Charlaine Harris. Not high literature but very entertaining  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1140 on: 03 February, 2010, 11:03:11 am »
In search of Robert Millar. Somebody in the pub was returning it to it's owner and I raised the old sex change question. "Read it and find out for yourself" was the response. Now I feel obliged to read it whether it is interesting or not.  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1141 on: 03 February, 2010, 11:06:19 am »
It's an interesting book by a pretty good writer.  I really like Millar, irascible or not.  As for the sex change thing, I really don't care.  It's his life, and I would like him to be able to live it in peace as far as possible.  He was a terrifically exciting rider.
Getting there...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1142 on: 03 February, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »
I think the book is inconclusive on the sex change rumour.  It's a good read, though, and I like the little email exchange at the end. He was a great rider.  I forget which climb it was (Super Bagneres, maybe?),  but I that clip of him passing his bottle to a rival rider who had run out of water sums the man up for me. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1143 on: 04 February, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »
Cosmonaut Keep.  There's a project manager as a hero.  That's new.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1144 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »
Cosmonaut Keep.  There's a project manager as a hero.  That's new.

I've been doing heroic work as a Project Manager for years ;D.
I may be biased of course & I realise that self-praise is no reccommendation but I don't suffer from false modesty where work is concerned 8)

Currently I am reading Arrivee :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1145 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »
The True Blood Omnibus by Charlaine Harris. Not high literature but very entertaining  :thumbsup:
I read these books as individual stories a while back - they sadly go downhill quite a lot after the fifth or sixth book and rather spoiled my enjoyment, retrospectively, of the first book. Hope you get on better with them.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1146 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »
I read these books as individual stories a while back - they sadly go downhill quite a lot after the fifth or sixth book and rather spoiled my enjoyment, retrospectively, of the first book. Hope you get on better with them.

Yes, thats the impression that I got from other readers on the Interwebs, but we shall see  :)

« Reply #1147 on: 04 February, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »
"The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. Thought it was a bit one-paced to start with but actually the author was just being strict with himself, presumably so's not to show off too much. Technically it's dazzling, with deft switches of style and idiom, double narrative lines and the story-within-a-story plus a whole world of sci-fi technical wizardry. But even better it's a rattling good yarn to boot.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1148 on: 05 February, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »
"The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. Thought it was a bit one-paced to start with but actually the author was just being strict with himself, presumably so's not to show off too much. Technically it's dazzling, with deft switches of style and idiom, double narrative lines and the story-within-a-story plus a whole world of sci-fi technical wizardry. But even better it's a rattling good yarn to boot.

Yeah, it was the last disciplined book he wrote (or maybe the last time he had an editor). Consequently, it's by far his best IMHO. He seems only to write bloated and overblown things now.

« Reply #1149 on: 06 February, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
"Castorp", by Pawel Huelle. Very good, so far.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897