Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 843465 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1225 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:12:02 pm »
Re-reading Hunter Thompson.  Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas used to be an annual  ritual around this time of year.  It's been that sort of sleep-deprived week ...

The good news is that it stands up to re-reading in a different context.  I find HST's righteous anger weirdly inspirational.

Next up: Generation of Swine (which got a laugh out of my fellow Trumpton vets in Furryboots city this morning ...).

Next:  Songs of the Doomed

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1226 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:56:42 pm »
Just finished "Transitions" by Iain Bank. Probably my favourite author and it's his best book in a long time. Recommended :thumbsup: Interesting that he writes normal fiction as Iain Banks and SF as Iain M Banks. I'd class this book as SF but it's Iain No-M Banks. Maybe 'cos it's actually set on planet Earth, or maybe he's decided to drop the distinction between genres.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #1227 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:34:13 am »
Just finished "Transitions" by Iain Bank. Probably my favourite author and it's his best book in a long time. Recommended :thumbsup: Interesting that he writes normal fiction as Iain Banks and SF as Iain M Banks. I'd class this book as SF but it's Iain No-M Banks. Maybe 'cos it's actually set on planet Earth, or maybe he's decided to drop the distinction between genres.

I seem to remember that in the UK it's Ian Banks and Ian M Banks because the publishing or more correctly the reviewing industry is snooty about SF whereas in the USA they are all published as Ian M Banks because his SF sell so much more that the publishers want to trade on this to sell more of his non SF books.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1228 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:53:19 am »
"Transitions" is certainly an Iain M Banks in USAnia.

I've just started "The Steep Approach To Garbadale", which doesn't have an M.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1229 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:09:18 am »
I'm reading Passenger to Frankfurt by Agatha Christie.  My mum had a big Christie collection, but I only recall reading one of them.  I wasn't that impressed.

The plot is wooden, the writing is piss-poor, and you can tell it was dictated without being proofread.  I did wonder if it were just written under her name as a sort of franchise, as happened with Alastair Maclean, and, I think, Neville Shute.  But no, it was apparently 'penned' by the great lady herself, though she was 80 when it was published.

What a pile of steaming turd!

Christie had clearly lost her marbles by the time she dictated this one.  She clearly has no idea about world politics, and just has miles of improbable expositionary dialogue about some fanciful neo-Nazi plot which is behind the student insurrection of the times.  Yeah, right.  And  apparently Castro & Guevara (both mentioned by name) are behind an Aryan supremacist movement.

And then, out of the blue, the main character we started with and lost about half way through, appears in an Epilogue to have a romantic happy ending. ::-)

It's supposed to be a thriller (with no action at all?), but is basically Christie's diatribe about how the world has gone to the dogs, and young people these days etc etc.  Although the Nazis are the baddies, you can sense a certain admiration for their discipline etc creeping through creepily.  Reading what she says about the Third World is just cringingly embarrassing.  She doesn't even understand the term. :-\

Not really recommended.
Getting there...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1230 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »

I thought it was confused, very derivative amd didn't go anywhere...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1231 on: 06 March, 2010, 10:43:26 am »
[All Quiet on the Western Front] is brilliant.  There are dull passages, where nothing much happens other than playing cards, but it's a depiction of the strange uneven pace of trench warfare, so stick with it.

Well worth digging out a copy of the sequel, The Road Back, which says more about the dislocation of war, as the surviving soldiers try hard to re-integrate into a society in turmoil, among people who have no conception of what they have just been through to defend a state that has crumbled in their absence.

Three Comrades also covers much the same ground, but gives a slightly different aspect.

If you like All Quiet..., it's also worth trying to find Under Fire by Henri Barbusse.  I think it should be compulsory reading for all those comfy Yanks who propagate the myth of the French as cowardly.  Gripping.

From your description I thought there'd be large sections of card games etc., but I didn't find that to be the case and the story seemed to continue at a decent pace.  It's an amazing anti-war book. Extremely powerful, and the talk about the lack of food gives an excellent sense of the starvation that was taking place in Germany by 1918. I'll certainly hunt out The Road Back.

I'm now reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, which is the follow-up to his bestseller The Shadow of the Wind.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1232 on: 06 March, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
I'll certainly hunt out The Road Back.

If you PM me your address, I can lend you my copy.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1233 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »
I too am reading Barring Mechanicals by Arallsopp -

My copy arrived today :thumbsup:

« Reply #1234 on: 09 March, 2010, 04:25:41 pm »
Little G is enjoying Mademoiselle Gorilla: Amazon.co.uk: Simon Puttock, Nicola Slater: Books

I am going through my newly acquired Asterix!! (new, 2£ each!! An unbelievable find this WE...)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1235 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »
Quote from: Frenchie link=topic=342.msg566678#msg566678 date=1268151941

I am going through my newly acquired Asterix!! (new, 2£ each!! An unbelievable find this WE...)
[/quote

jealous !  I loved Asterix as a child!   And then later TinTin..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1236 on: 10 March, 2010, 02:55:24 am »
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence, my schoolboy hero (ok I'm showing my age) would have saved a lot of strife if a few politicians had read it.
     Also Serge Bastarde stole my Baguette
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1237 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:14:32 am »
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
Getting there...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1238 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:18:22 am »
Re-reading Dune.  Again.

Interspersed with Kano Jigoro's Mind Over Muscle.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1239 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:19:46 am »

So did mine.  Home at 16:35, book finished by 17:30.  And I'm in it!  One of my photos, one signature and one uncredited guest appearance as the finish controller at Cheshunt.

Still struggling through the crap Swedish zombies of "Handling The Undead".

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #1240 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:36:39 am »
And I'm in it!  One of my photos, one signature and one uncredited guest appearance as the finish controller at Cheshunt.

Wow. You whipped through that! Hope you enjoyed it. Sorry I didn't recognise you at the Cheshunt. To be fair, I barely recognised me.

(scans closing pages to make sure he says nothing nasty about the end.... no, we're good. Phew!).
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1241 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:42:30 am »
I'm reading mine a bit at a time between the evil necessities of working.It's like savouring a good wine a bit at a time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1242 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:05:19 am »
I'm halfway through this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bold_As_Love_%28novel%29 (by Gwyneth Jones)

It's the first of a 5-book series, so I really wanted to like it! So far it swerves between heavy-going and gripping.

I would reckon the subject matter would hit the YACF demographic square-on - anyone else read it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1243 on: 10 March, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »
I'm halfway through this:

Bold As Love (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (by Gwyneth Jones)

It's the first of a 5-book series, so I really wanted to like it! So far it swerves between heavy-going and gripping.

I would reckon the subject matter would hit the YACF demographic square-on - anyone else read it?

Yes. I've read most of them. They are very, very English - Spinal Tap meets pagan eco-political science fiction and in consequence they move between being rather brilliant and rather stupid. I am never sure which. Probably both at the same time (just like the rock- band dominated future politics they imagine). Jones is a very talented writer anyway - my favourite of hers is another vaguely and weirdly apocalyptic novel, Kairos.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1244 on: 10 March, 2010, 03:55:48 pm »
I’m re-reading some really, really bad fantasy novels.  I’m too ashamed to say which ones.  My brain is mush.

« Reply #1245 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:26:06 am »
The Fall of the West - The Death of the Roman Superpower
Adrian Goldsworthy

Picked this up in the LSE Bookshop yesterday. Started it on the train on the way home. So far it is excellent. In it he attempts to explain how the Roman Empire in the West manage to disintegrate in what was a relatively short time when there was no other power of equal size or strength to challenge it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1246 on: 11 March, 2010, 09:39:49 am »
Cityboy: Beer And Loathing In The Square Mile ~ Geraint Anderson.

If ever you want your prejudices concerning the financial markets confirmed, this is the book for you.

« Reply #1247 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:41:32 pm »
Re Roman Empire - Rubicon by Tom Holland also (nothing to do with Rome) one of the books I can recommend very highly  and have read three times and will read again (stop waffling and gerron with it)
                            Embers by Sandor Marai
    I call brilliant authors who "put you there"  word artists, this author was truly one
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1248 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

Finished it now.Really enjoyed it.

« Reply #1249 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »
Re Roman Empire - Rubicon by Tom Holland

I've read that. A good book about the end of The Republic.