Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 845351 times)

Flying_Monkey

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #1300 on: 04 May, 2010, 02:47:59 pm »
However, it is a systematic and well-argued book, dealing with a great many aspects of religions, and taking it a step further, by sometimes making an assumption that the churches might be correct on some key points of their arguments, and following through the logical outcomes.

An interesting read, and, given the number of rather limp and poorly-aimed responses from a religious standpoint (yes, I've read a couple, and skimmed some more), one that seriously rattles the cages of those who substitute belief for reason and use that as some kind of 'authority'.

I agree. As with many things, a lot of people with very weak arguments would prefer to deal with a safely caricatured version of something that scares them... you see this at every level from forums like this to international negotiations.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1301 on: 04 May, 2010, 03:26:00 pm »
Funnily enough, I just finished The God Delusion.  I've not read it before, but it was on offer for £3.99 in WH Smith in Croydon, so I couldn't resist.

Curiously, my copy was also a special offer, in this case from Sainsbury's in a special "Summer Stuff" section.  Right up there with the charcoal, garden furniture and sun cream.

Odd, that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1302 on: 04 May, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »
Need charcoal for the fiery furnaces.  If you can't get brimstone, that is...
Getting there...

« Reply #1303 on: 04 May, 2010, 08:11:50 pm »
Just finished "In the Shadow of the Wall" by Gordon Anthony set 1900 years ago in the town in which I grew up and ancient Rome.  A cut above what I think of as "Swords and Sandals".  Hugely enjoyable.  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1304 on: 07 May, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
This Body Of DETH ~ Elizabeth George

Better than her previous couple of efforts, and Lynley has a new motor-car.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1305 on: 07 May, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »
Just starting on a biography about Lillie Langtree.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1306 on: 07 May, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »
Having just finished The God Delusion, I'm now onto Elected Silence by Thomas Merton, a man I greatly admire, but don't yet know enough about.  Eclectic, I'd say.

Oh - I did read through The People's Manifesto collated by Mark Thomas.  I'd have stood on that ticket.
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1307 on: 07 May, 2010, 04:00:03 pm »
Re-reading 54 by wu ming (a collective rather than a person, also responsible for Q by Luther Blissett).

Very imaginative book, chronicling cold-war shenanigans in and around Italy/Trieste/Yugoslavia.  Also featuring Cary Grant, and the birth of the KGB.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1308 on: 07 May, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »
a book of maps a.k. a. a road atlas to check a route from Lands End to Redruth & possibly beyond for tomorrow morning

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1309 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:45:32 am »
Why does E=mc2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

In my previous life I did have several beers with Jeff Forshaw at various conferences etc.  I can't remember if I crossed paths with Brian Cox, so probably didn't.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1310 on: 09 May, 2010, 03:23:48 pm »
The Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I should read it in Spanish really (as my mind actually tries to translate it back to Spanish as I read it) but I'm too lazy.  :-[

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1311 on: 09 May, 2010, 11:02:38 pm »
Re-reading 54 by wu ming (a collective rather than a person, also responsible for Q by Luther Blissett).

Very imaginative book, chronicling cold-war shenanigans in and around Italy/Trieste/Yugoslavia.  Also featuring Cary Grant, and the birth of the KGB.

Thanks, I must read it. I loved Q.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1312 on: 10 May, 2010, 12:13:03 am »
"The Forgotten Highlander" by Alistair Urquhart. Captured, beaten, tortured, worked almost to death on the Burma Railway, shipped off to Japan, torpedoed, recaptured, sent to work again in Nagasaki.....
Words fail me.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1313 on: 13 May, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »
Just started "Teenage" by Jon Savage. Contrary to what you'd expect, his history of the teenager ends in 1945. Very interesting so far.

« Reply #1314 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:13:47 pm »
Re-reading His Dark Materials, because my nine-year old is reading them and I'd happily forgotten enough detail to make it interesting to go over the books again. The writing really is high quality as is most of the concept/conceit. And it's good stuff to read out loud with different voices.  

A pleasant spin-off has been the added depth given to lunchtime jaunts up the Oxford canal.

« Reply #1315 on: 13 May, 2010, 09:17:18 pm »
I'm currently reading "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis" by Tony Hawks. I've had it for years, but for some reason I've never actually read it. It's hilarious!!!  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1316 on: 14 May, 2010, 05:52:46 pm »
Recently finished Manual by Daren King - not his best work.

Just started Ilium by Dan Simmons - promising so far.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #1317 on: 15 May, 2010, 10:40:37 am »
I've just finished the Stieg Larsson - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
Enjoyed them a lot.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1318 on: 15 May, 2010, 10:56:42 am »
Enjoyed them a lot.

There is a huge reserves list for these books in our libraries. Cannot wait for the film to come out on DVD.

« Reply #1319 on: 15 May, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »
Memoirs of a Gnostic Dwarf.

Found in the Oxfam shop a few days ago.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LindaG

« Reply #1320 on: 25 May, 2010, 08:53:03 pm »
Memoirs of a Gnostic Dwarf.

Ooh, what's that about?

I'm re-reading The Screwtape Letters.    So funny, and although it's dated it's still bang on target  :)

« Reply #1321 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »
The Screwtape Letters is excellent, I read it years ago. I'm currently working on The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. it's the story of Sir Robert Scott's journey to the South Pole, and his attempted return. I've read South, which is Shackleton's story of his attempt to traverse the Antarctic continent, and Endurance, which is the story of Shackleton's attempt written by Alfred Lansing. I suppose I should find something about Amundsen's journey, since he succeeded where Scott and Shackleton did not.

Legs

« Reply #1322 on: 26 May, 2010, 12:30:25 am »
Enjoyed them a lot.

There is a huge reserves list for these books in our libraries. Cannot wait for the film to come out on DVD.
I'm a hundred or so pages through the second one.  Also enjoying them a lot.  But gosh, isn't there a lot of nookie!?!?  :o

LindaG

« Reply #1323 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:13:52 am »
I'm currently working on The Worst Journey in the World, by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. it's the story of Sir Robert Scott's journey to the South Pole, and his attempted return. I've read South, which is Shackleton's story of his attempt to traverse the Antarctic continent, and Endurance, which is the story of Shackleton's attempt written by Alfred Lansing. I suppose I should find something about Amundsen's journey, since he succeeded where Scott and Shackleton did not.

OT, but some of the rock samples they collected on the Scott expedition are still on display in the Natural History Museum.  We had a few strange moments of awe and sadness standing looking at them in their glass case. 

I shall search out 'Endurance' in the library catalogue forthwith.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1324 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:32:20 am »
Bank statements:P&L sheets.
Does that count?