Author Topic: "Mental Speed Bumps" by David Engwicht  (Read 2216 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
"Mental Speed Bumps" by David Engwicht
« on: 03 June, 2009, 01:25:57 pm »
I was loaned this book by a local councillor (along with some other info on shared space schemes). Although he paints a rather utopian view it is worth a read because he challenges traditional notions of how do deal with traffic in cities. One though that has stuck in my mind is the notion of treating cars (and their drivers) as guests in your road, with the expectation that they will subsequently act as such, rather than alienating them with all sorts of warning signs and restrictions.
Pen Pusher

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: "Mental Speed Bumps" by David Engwicht
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »
What is suggested is very similar to the Naked Streets approach used in many continental cities and towns or the programme (whose name I can't remember) which also used plants in containers as chicanes and patterned roads surfaces to disorientate drivers and reduce speeds.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2009, 03:33:30 pm »
Is this the one you mean?

www.roadwitch.org.uk/
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2009, 04:29:25 pm »
Pen Pusher

Regulator

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
Is this the one you mean?

www.roadwitch.org.uk/

No....

This one is a formal programme of changes.  I'll have a dig round and see if I can find the web-site.  It looked absolutely fantastic.

Green Party Councillor

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »
Do you mean this one?
Pen Pusher

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »
Do you mean this one?

Nope... that's not it either.  The one I'm thinking of was aimed at residential streets.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2009, 08:49:17 am »
Do you mean this one?

Nope... that's not it either.  The one I'm thinking of was aimed at residential streets.

Home Zone?

This was were I lived at the time (Hastings Rd) - the results were pretty good (admittedly one of the benefits was that most traffic diverted down the next non-HZ street) - it gave the street a very different ambience to the usual residential roadway (which essentially becomes a residents' car park with traffic cannonballing down the middle). That said it didn't suddenly become a utopia of skipping schoolchildren and garlanded street parties. Little steps. It wasn't that radical, I can't really see why it's not really caught on more.

I confess I've not visited in a while, so not sure what it looks like now. Certainly, south-east London could do with a dose of this.

Regulator

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2009, 08:54:53 am »
Do you mean this one?

Home Zone?

This was were I lived at the time (Hastings Rd) - the results were pretty good (admittedly one of the benefits was that most traffic diverted down the next non-HZ street) - it gave the street a very different ambience to the usual residential roadway (which essentially becomes a residents' car park with traffic cannonballing down the middle). That said it didn't suddenly become a utopia of skipping schoolchildren and garlanded street parties. Little steps. It wasn't that radical, I can't really see why it's not really caught on more.

I confess I've not visited in a while, so not sure what it looks like now. Certainly, south-east London could do with a dose of this.

That's the one I was thinking of!  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor