Author Topic: Can I move a lavender from the garden to a pot or will I kill it?  (Read 1860 times)

alchemy

I have a medium sized (about 40cm diameter) lavender plant in the garden that I'd like to dig up and re-plant in a pot in my courtyard. I know that lavender is a very hardy thing, but would a move like this be a silly thing to do to it once it's reached this sort of size? It's the beginning of winter here so I guess that if I'm going to move it, then now is the best time, before the spring growth kicks in.

Any advice appreciated

Re: Can I move a lavender from the garden to a pot or will I kill it?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:48:09 am »
Mrs Mike is forever moving bloody lavender around the garden and nothing ever seems to kill it.  Go for it...

Fi

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:53:53 am »
I wouldn't move it in the winter, I'd leave it until Spring so it can start settling into its new home and making roots, which it's unlikely to do in the winter. Water the pot well before you move it and after too.

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:22:29 am »
The less you disturb the roots, the more likely it is to survive happily. Try to lift it in a ball of soil and put that straight into the pot.

annie

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:27:47 am »
I have moved all sorts of varieties of lavender at various times throughout the year and never had a problem.  Ensure that there is adequate drainage, they don't like to be water logged.  The only varieties that seem to be a little on the tender side are the Russian ones.  I would say do it but bear in mind what Ian has said, good luck.