Author Topic: In search of a cup of TEA.  (Read 4403 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
In search of a cup of TEA.
« on: 26 April, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
Friday the 24th of April.

Work, rush hour and aiming to get a train out to our destination in one go meant that we took off at bit late. And the Great South whateveritiscalled trains had a 5 minute delay one stop before ours. Boy ain't that annoying when you just wanna get there!

After a short ride out of Liphook we arrived in the dark at the Deer Hut pub, which has a little camp site attached.

As we were parking up at the pub a gentleman stepped out of the pub for a smoke. Had one look at us said “You camping?" “Yes please,” we said.

"I might not look it, but I am the owner" he said with a smile as he showed us to our spot.

Eleven other groups were already there but we got a side paddock all for ourselves separated from the others by a tall hedge.

The site has a toilet, one for the ladies and one for the gents and one 20p hot shower. Pretty much all you need when camping next to a pub. A little noise from the A3 and I think Gatwick, but that was nothing compared to what nature could muster, at 4:30am.

I'm still well surprised on how easy this camping malarkey has become. Arrive at station, carry two bikes and a trailer up and over the tracks, cycle 2 miles, pitch tent, pump beds up and being in the pub ordering food less than 30min later, and we were not rushing at all.

The food was served after the kitchen had closed, which was very nice. We had to wait a little before we got the food, since the chef had to put the kids to bed first :) We didn't mind at all cause the wait wasn't long and two plates with veggie Kiev and Lincolnshire sausages served with chips and salad was very numnum and hit the spot.

We then retired to our tent, and had a good old sleep.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: In search of a cup of TEA.
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
I'm still well surprised on how easy this camping malarkey has become.
....  pump beds up and being in the pub ordering food less than 30min later, and we were not rushing at all.

Pump the beds up? Pump the beds up????!!!! Younger generation! Softies the lot of you. In my day we wrapped ourselves in newspaper, and were glad of a tin of cold beans.
Airbeds! Harumphhhh

Colonel Scum (retired)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:28:18 pm »
Saturday the 25th.

We slept until the rain woke us up in the early am, it continued for around 2 hours before it started to die out. The tent kept the water out and we woke up nice and rested around 8am, these down mats are soooo worth it.

We cycled for around 20min before we arrived at Headley for our brunch at the deli. I was served a sausage, bacon and egg butty and Peli had a cheese and pickle butty both with a salad that in themselves could have fed a starving cyclist after a loooong ride, read 4 miles ;)

Fueled up we headed out again and arrived at Mayfair Farm Stables, where Peli could do some horsing around. This little ride was my birthday present to her, which I tried in vain to keep a secret. But even with her knowing what was on the agenda she was all smiles and bouncing around as a bouncing thing, so I think I made the right choice ;)

Setting of for our next long ride, 2 miles, to the next camp site we took a wrong turn. But the 50 yards detour was well worth it as we came upon a ice cream factory.

Meadow Cottage Farm, makes their own ice cream, milk and cakes.  Their brochure states:

“The Farm Shop once described in “Harper & Queen” as “little more than a wooden office” is, in fact, a extremely up-market garden shed”

While we where digging into our Butter Toffee ice cream we were watching the tender steps of a less than two days old foal. For some reason it had taken a liking to stones and was happily nibbling along on them, just as we were with the yummy ice cream.

Arriving at the Mellow Farm Adventure camp site (their red site) we saw a big field with five other campers plotted about. We were greeted by the proprietor of the site(s) and were shown to our pitch. Which was very easy, anywhere where the grass had been cut.

The red site is part of a few others on the farm, this one you are allowed to have a fire and there are clean portaloos and one tap with running water.

We pitched our tent again in what seemed to be no time, and then relaxed for a bit with our books and kite.

The proprietor told us to go left, then right, then left, then right and then we would see a sign for the Blue Bell pub.  I had the steak and mushroom pie with mashed potatoes and Peli had the grilled mushrooms with salad and chips.

We got directed to the local corner shop, 2 miles away, where we got snacks and stuff for breakfast.

Riding back we enjoyed some very beautiful, rolling and quiet country roads and  a stunning sunset.

It is just after 20:30 and we are already very tired*). We managed to clock up 20 miles as we came back to the camp site, life as a long distance tourer is hard work ;)

*) Peli did moan that her legs were killing her. I can't understand why, as she only been sitting on a horse all day...

Though we have now been to two pubs and a café on our tour we still haven't found that cuppa we set out to find.

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »
Best keep lookin'

Eh?
 ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:37:09 pm »
Is that Headley as in Cheam School, Headley Grange (where "Stairway To Heaven" was recorded) and the home of the Sainsbury dynasty?  I know it well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »
Sunday the 26th of April.

We woke up again early because even nature doesn't sleep in on a Sunday. While we had our breakfast we were listing to the “next doors”, a group of young kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh. Their leader had a hard time getting the lads out of their sleeping bag and they got on their way 30min late.

Peli decided to have a little spin at nine am, around 8miles, while I lazed around in the sun and tent. Just after we packed our tent up, we had our second breakfast in the sunshine, ain't life great.

I had a little walk around the farm and had a look at the livestock, and honestly I can't say they are cute but they are good fun to look at. The turkey (where is my cranberry jam ?) came right up the the fence and made itself as big it would and ruffled its feathers, which sounded like someone going through their stuff in a plastic bag.

We then headed out for our longest leg of the weekend a whole 9.9 miles!!! Along the way we rode through some more beautiful countryside. The locals didn't get annoyed with our slow speed, I'm sure that it is because around every corner there was a stables, so they are used to the horses or farm  vehicles.

After a grueling 27 miles and nearly 3 days of hard riding we found TEA, hurray ! That is the Hogs Back Brewery which brews the Traditional English Ale, get it? T.E.A.

I sadly missed out on a tour of the brewery since it was booked fully up, but I did have a little wander around and had quick peek into the brewery. Though it was hard enough for me to stand still in the shop. I was somewhat sad that that there was no more space in the trailer because I would have pulled a hernia, dragging that load to Farnham train station.

Though I did find room for a TEA (Traditional English Ale, 500ml, ABV 4.2%), which I duly drank on the spot while we had our lunch. And a small “A Over T” (Aromas Over Tongham, 275ml,  ABV 9.0%) and a Hareraiser (500ml, ABV 4.2%) which is brewed to celebrate 50 years  of Surrey Wildlife Trust. And a pot of rather nice Real Ale and Apple Chutney, made with Wobble Real ale, which we used our tyre levers to spread onto our sandwiches.

This is the route and here is some more pictures

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:41:59 pm »
This is ridiculous! Where is your suffering where is your character-building getting soaking wet, and cold and hungry? That's real camping.
Faffing around eating scones and ice-cream and patting two day old foals?
Younger generation... mumble... harumppphhh...
Col Scum (retired)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:43:43 pm »
I'm still well surprised on how easy this camping malarkey has become.
....  pump beds up and being in the pub ordering food less than 30min later, and we were not rushing at all.

Pump the beds up? Pump the beds up????!!!! Younger generation! Softies the lot of you. In my day we wrapped ourselves in newspaper, and were glad of a tin of cold beans.
Airbeds! Harumphhhh

Colonel Scum (retired)
Colonel, Sir, I have been there done that in my service as a private, but that shrapnel in my knee, from the Korean war, have now moved up to my hip and it have become harder to sleep. And boy can I sleep on these things :)

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:51:55 pm »
That looks like a really nice weekend, I'm jealous :D. Downmats are worth every penny, aren't they?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:52:48 pm »
It does indeed. I think I must buy a decent tent...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2009, 07:51:54 am »
Thanks Woolly for a great write up. Really wets the appetite for camping, beer and food. (Only five days now before we sample the real thing). I think that kind of a lazy gentle paced trip is essential now and again to keep the balance right.  ;)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
I love threads like this! 

I'm looking out of the window at the drizzling rain and thinking, "yeah, and I'd still rather be off camping in this than sitting in the office today."

Nice work, you two - I'm glad you had such a fab time  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:06:24 am »
It was such a lovely, lovely weekend!

I have really got the horse riding bug back and want to go again! Anyone know of good (cheap) stables?

The main reason for the gentle nature of the ride is that we haven't got our touring bikes yet and so poor Woolly has to pull a very heavy trailer, on Dirty Pia, which isn't too happy with the task. Once we have our Long Haul Truckers, and our sleeping bags, and, and, and... we'll be well away!

alan

« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:11:01 am »
Downmats are worth every penny, aren't they?

What them then?

LinzWakeley

« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:41:25 am »
It all looks wonderful :-)  I hope you had a fabulous time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:51:35 am »
That looks like a really nice weekend, I'm jealous :D. Downmats are worth every penny, aren't they?

Yes - a pretty much perfect weekend.  :)

If only Exped made a Downmat slightly wider than the DLX to fit the pair of us on... :(

Mind you, I like the sound of a Synmat ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:15:19 am »
I figured you'd be heading to that brewery.  ;)

Do you know, they do loyalty cards for regular customers? :D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:19:48 am »
Do you know, they do loyalty cards for regular customers? :D

If Shepherd Neame did one I'd be on platinum status by now.
There's no vibrations, but wait.