Author Topic: Start time for a 200  (Read 10356 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Start time for a 200
« on: 27 June, 2021, 08:37:21 pm »
For as long as I've been audaxing, it seems the default start time for a 200 has always been 8am. I can't off the top of my head think of a 200 I've done that started at any other time. Looking at the current calendar, there are a few events starting earlier - there's even one starting at 6am - but 8am is very much the default. There's also one starting at 23.59.

For my own event, I've gone with an 8am start time for each of the three times I've run it. Now I'm in the early stages of planning to put it on again next year, I'm contemplating moving to an earlier start time (7am) - main reason being so I can close the finish control earlier (which would be better for the venue). It would also mean that more riders would finish in daylight. Sunrise would be around 6am.

Current timetables mean it's impossible to get to the start by train for 8am anyway, so it doesn't make any difference from that point of view. (Though an earlier start would mean later finishers could get the last train back to London.)

Anything else I should be considering that I haven't thought of? What's the general view on this?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Start time for a 200
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:40:55 pm »
Go for it if it works for you. A few riders might prefer being able to get home earlier.

Sure Andy B's started a 200 at 7.30, 8 am is just a convention.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:45:59 pm »
For as long as I've been audaxing, it seems the default start time for a 200 has always been 8am. I can't off the top of my head think of a 200 I've done that started at any other time. Looking at the current calendar, there are a few events starting earlier - there's even one starting at 6am - but 8am is very much the default. There's also one starting at 23.59.

For my own event, I've gone with an 8am start time for each of the three times I've run it. Now I'm in the early stages of planning to put it on again next year, I'm contemplating moving to an earlier start time (7am) - main reason being so I can close the finish control earlier (which would be better for the venue). It would also mean that more riders would finish in daylight. Sunrise would be around 6am.

Current timetables mean it's impossible to get to the start by train for 8am anyway, so it doesn't make any difference from that point of view. (Though an earlier start would mean later finishers could get the last train back to London.)

Anything else I should be considering that I haven't thought of? What's the general view on this?

In normal times, here in .NL, 200's start at 0900. Which means for all bar the most remote of rides, can be reached by public transport. And unless you're exceptionally full value on the Heerlen 200's, you can get home again after.

But that's in a country with a functional pubic transport network.

8am is early, 7am is approaching inhumane.

But, I'm unlikely to be in a position to partake in your rides (taking the bike on the Eurostar is too much faff :( ), so this is perhaps not the most useful info. If I was, it would be really useful if I could have a proper breakfast at Beano's, then ride to the start. (I think they open at 0600 on a Saturday, so 0800 start that's plausible).

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:47:06 pm »
8 am is just a convention.

Yes, that's what I thought. I'm just having a small moment of self doubt, wondering if there's something obvious I've missed...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:47:59 pm »
Horses for courses. 8am is generally good because even full value riders like me can still finish before the pubs close but I think it's down to organisers to think about local conditions and circumstances.

For example, it may be that a particular road near the start gets busy at about 8am, in which case an earlier start might be helpful. On the other hand, I recall a 200 that I used to enjoy which began from the car park at a railway station about 20 minutes before the first train of the day arrived. An 8.30 start on that would have been very welcome and might have increased take-up.

I vaguely recall a Dave Hudson 400 that began at midday Saturday. That was great as it was easy to get to the start and the Sunday wasn't lost completely. Similarly, as the OP mentions, Tomsk runs a few rides that start at 23.59, meaning that you can bank a 3/400km and still have all day Sunday to enjoy.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:53:53 pm »
I've started the Shark at 7:30am, mainly to maximise the amount of daylight, even for full value riders. The biggest downside is working out finish durations for the brevet cards, especially when doing instant validation and having sat in the pub for five hours...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:57:04 pm »

For example, it may be that a particular road near the start gets busy at about 8am, in which case an earlier start might be helpful. On the other hand, I recall a 200 that I used to enjoy which began from the car park at a railway station about 20 minutes before the first train of the day arrived. An 8.30 start on that would have been very welcome and might have increased take-up.

Starting at a station, before the first train seems... stupid...

I vaguely recall a Dave Hudson 400 that began at midday Saturday. That was great as it was easy to get to the start and the Sunday wasn't lost completely. Similarly, as the OP mentions, Tomsk runs a few rides that start at 23.59, meaning that you can bank a 3/400km and still have all day Sunday to enjoy.

Here we ran a 400 that started at 2100 on Friday, for a finish at 2200 on the Saturday.

Next year I want to run a 400 that starts 2100 on the Friday, with a 200 starting 0900 on the Saturday. That way those who don't want to do a 400 can still ride that weekend, and you've gotta be there for the 400, so it doesn't cause much extra work.

J
--

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:04:00 pm »
I suspect mine is the one starting at 2359.  Its the audax 200km that features a start on a Friday night and is a ride to the coast. - its specifically an overnight ride on the night of a full moon. 

I think most of my 200s over the the years have started at 0800 as its been a perfect time to maximise light, but Im sure that ive also had a few that start at 0730 for the same reason (around October iirc when theres plenty morning light but gets dark c 1700

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:04:53 pm »

Starting at a station, before the first train seems... stupid...

Here we ran a 400 that started at 2100 on Friday, for a finish at 2200 on the Saturday.

Next year I want to run a 400 that starts 2100 on the Friday, with a 200 starting 0900 on the Saturday. That way those who don't want to do a 400 can still ride that weekend, and you've gotta be there for the 400, so it doesn't cause much extra work.

J

Imho 2100 is the perfect start time for a 400

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:07:22 pm »
I have a 200 starts at 7:30am but that also allows riders to arrive by train and have something in café first. Nearly all riders are back in time for last food orders at pub. I also let full value riders know they can ring me to place a food order if they are inbound on the limit.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:09:51 pm »
But, I'm unlikely to be in a position to partake in your rides (taking the bike on the Eurostar is too much faff :( ), so this is perhaps not the most useful info. If I was, it would be really useful if I could have a proper breakfast at Beano's, then ride to the start. (I think they open at 0600 on a Saturday, so 0800 start that's plausible).

All points of view are welcome though - and I'm sure you're not alone in preferring a later start.

Beano's though... I don't think I've ever been in there. Being a hipster, I'm more a Goods Shed kind of guy.

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:13:48 pm »
I suspect mine is the one starting at 2359.  Its the audax 200km that features a start on a Friday night and is a ride to the coast. - its specifically an overnight ride on the night of a full moon. 

Yes, assuming yours is the "Friday Night Ride to the Bay"... Looks fun. I'd definitely sign up for that if I were a bit more local. Long way for me to travel for a 200 though.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:19:27 pm »
The biggest downside is working out finish durations for the brevet cards, especially when doing instant validation and having sat in the pub for five hours...

I made myself a chart to make this job easier - trying to work these things out in your head is asking for trouble when your finish is in a brewery.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:26:19 pm »
I vaguely recall a Dave Hudson 400 that began at midday Saturday.

The Invicta 400 always used to start at midday. It did indeed make getting to the start easy. But that aside, there's no good start time for a 400 in my book - it's definitely the most awkward distance, timings wise.

« Reply #14 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:27:59 pm »
I once did a weekday 200 organised by Rocco starting at 6am.
9am is indeed quite standard in the Netherlands. When we moved from 8 to 9am, the average age dropped.
I did ride a 200 starting at 10am in St. Petersburg, Russians tend to sleep late in that area ;).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:36:27 pm »
9am is indeed quite standard in the Netherlands. When we moved from 8 to 9am, the average age dropped.

That is very useful to know. I wonder if that is linked to the fact most of the younger riders don't own cars so have to rely on NS...

I've only had one Dutch event I couldn't get to by public transport, which was from Vennray, I borrowed a friends car.

J
--

« Reply #16 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:40:51 pm »
I did ride a 200 starting at 10am in St. Petersburg, Russians tend to sleep late in that area ;).
Yes, but given the time zone and latitude it doesn't get dark until after midnight

« Reply #17 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:09:27 pm »
On a Sunday I think I’d want an early enough start to get home and feel ready for work the next day. I’ve been known to arrive on Saturday and stay over. A Saturday ride is more likely to be the other way round. Though this is as much about distance from home and how slow I ride as anything else.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:16:35 pm »
On a Sunday I think I’d want an early enough start to get home and feel ready for work the next day. I’ve been known to arrive on Saturday and stay over. A Saturday ride is more likely to be the other way round. Though this is as much about distance from home and how slow I ride as anything else.

That's a point, all the Dutch rides are on Saturdays, or at least, start or finish on a Saturday.

J
--

« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:24:55 pm »
Personally, I prefer an early start as I feel fresher for more of the ride compared to one that drags on into the evening. But the point about increasing participation is a good one, especially for younger people whose body clocks think that 8 am is the crack of dawn.

To the OP's question, half an hour is neither here nor there when public transport is not a consideration.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #20 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:39:01 pm »
Personally, I prefer an early start as I feel fresher for more of the ride compared to one that drags on into the evening. But the point about increasing participation is a good one, especially for younger people whose body clocks think that 8 am is the crack of dawn.

Ha. I get snark from Mrs Dan when I get up before 9 at the weekend for something I want to do, but not to go to the fishmonger. Even on a weekday when I’m not working from home my alarm is set for 7. But I’m old enough to take “younger” where I find it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #21 on: 27 June, 2021, 11:21:48 pm »

Yes, assuming yours is the "Friday Night Ride to the Bay"... Looks fun. I'd definitely sign up for that if I were a bit more local. Long way for me to travel for a 200 though.

Ride back to Embra and presto it's a 400.
ScotFail make ECE almost inevitable.

I did consider a different start/finish time for my two calendar 200s but:
Standard closing time of Co-Ops and Spars round these parts is either 9pm or 10pm
Similar for Chip Shops
The standard Pub licence is until 11pm
I'm not a morning person

So really what I'm saying is I'd have started it later but then I'd have had to hang around a car park until midnight.
I've got ideas for when things are more normal, not quite the simmer dim though.

« Reply #22 on: 28 June, 2021, 09:35:24 am »

That is very useful to know. I wonder if that is linked to the fact most of the younger riders don't own cars so have to rely on NS...

I think it's more of a body clock issue.

« Reply #23 on: 28 June, 2021, 09:37:28 am »
Yes, but given the time zone and latitude it doesn't get dark until after midnight

Time zones and latitudes are important considerations. What works in one area wouldn't work in another area.

« Reply #24 on: 28 June, 2021, 09:39:02 am »

That's a point, all the Dutch rides are on Saturdays, or at least, start or finish on a Saturday.

J

Well, when I was still organising, I tended to organise on sundays, due to my work schedule. After I stopped organising there were no sunday events until this year, where some events are organised on saturday & sunday.