Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391089 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #850 on: 10 February, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #851 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:21:20 pm »
How long after the event should I expect to have my brevet car returned? My rides; the dean and severn across are no longer listed as provisional, I thought brevet cards were returned following validation but I haven't received them.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #852 on: 01 June, 2016, 10:15:01 am »
In a while ...

They'll turn up, but have to make their way from the validation team to the organiser, into the correct envelopes, and back to you. At every stage they're dependent on the loving ministrations of either the post office or of volunteers; six weeks is about the minimum I'd expect, and twice that isn't uncommon - can be longer if BRM validation is involved too.

« Reply #853 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:20:21 pm »
What's the least longest time taken to complete an SR?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #854 on: 08 June, 2016, 10:26:20 pm »
Do you mean least total riding time or least number of days start to finish? The Yanks and Aussies (and others, less frequently) regularly organise 'SR in a week' series.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #855 on: 09 June, 2016, 06:38:42 am »
Number of days from start to finish.

« Reply #856 on: 09 June, 2016, 06:51:56 am »
Assuming you complete each ride on a different day, then 4 days ... 1 day each for the 200, 300, 400 and 600. I'm not convinced that is what you were asking though.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #857 on: 09 June, 2016, 01:02:16 pm »
Assuming you complete each ride on a different day, then 4 days ... 1 day each for the 200, 300, 400 and 600. I'm not convinced that is what you were asking though.
Has anyone done it in 4 days though?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #858 on: 09 June, 2016, 01:06:02 pm »
I've not heard of anybody doing a SR in four days.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #859 on: 10 June, 2016, 09:27:15 am »
^ very achievable clearly, but a little too willy-waving.

I do like the idea of an SR in a week though, but going somewhere new and beautiful (and probably not in the UK!) and spending a week riding, exploring and enjoying it.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #860 on: 10 June, 2016, 10:36:00 am »

I do like the idea of an SR in a week though, but going somewhere new and beautiful (and probably not in the UK!) and spending a week riding, exploring and enjoying it.
Yes, that's the only way I can see a "Brevet week" being worthwhile/enjoyable.

(I seem to recall a 30-page debate in  c2007 about the easiest way to arrange the 4 rides across the 7 days. :D )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #861 on: 10 June, 2016, 11:03:13 am »
Not wanting to kick that one off again (and I think it's largely irrelevant which way you skin that cat), but the idea is actually quite appealing for a late-summer/early-autumn adventure somewhere still warm.  You've got about 100 hours of maximum riding time for the 4 events (40+27+20+13 on BRM timing), giving you at least 68 hours of downtime in a week.  Plenty of time to recover.

Hmm.  Could be a top banana week away to round out the summer.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #862 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:30:36 am »

Hmm.  Could be a top banana week away to round out the summer.

Hell yeah.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #863 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:28:03 pm »
When riding an audax on a tandem, I'd always assumed we need two receipts, one for each brevet card. Recently an organiser suggested that one would do for a tandem.

I'm all for reducing our control faff, even a tiny bit, so if one receipt is OK that simplifies things a bit.

I imagine most organisers wouldn't be picky about this, but I'd rather do things by the book. Is the official line "one receipt per brevet card"?

« Reply #864 on: 28 June, 2016, 12:42:24 pm »
We always used to ask if the org would give us 'tandem dispensation' but the rule is one rider, one receipt

Chris S

« Reply #865 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:20:35 pm »
PBP - Mandatory individual validation - no tandem dispensation.
LEL - one of us could take both brevet cards for stamping - but that's likely because half the controllers know us, and knew we were on a tandem.
Rides where we know the Org - As fboab says, many give us dispensation if we ask.
DIY x GPS - 2x GPS tracks from a tandem is mandatory.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #866 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »
I've managed with a shared reciept for tandem rides.
Usually OK it with the boss first.
After all the organiser writes in the times in off your proofs anyway - assuming you haven't already done so to ease the pain.
And recycles the rest of the stuff.

So it isn't consistent.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #867 on: 07 July, 2016, 10:41:59 pm »
General question to the floor.

Is it permissible to Audax on an e-bike?

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #868 on: 07 July, 2016, 11:03:40 pm »
I think you may ride but won't be homologated/get a brevet.
I think it was discussed at last AGM.
E-bikes are not 'propelled solely by human muscular effort' are they?

« Reply #869 on: 24 July, 2016, 07:08:06 am »
What say ye (permanent(s) question) :

I'm working on a 100km route, where the roads basically form three ovals in series - think of them as links in a chain, perhaps.  It's not uncommon to have the same loop route used interchangeably depending on which direction the loop is ridden, or to have a point-to-point which allows starting at either end.

One could start riding at either end of any of the ovals (4 possible start points) and ride any individual link clockwise or counter(anti)-clockwise.

While the total climbing and descending would be the same, the ride experience would be different.  Depending on which direction one rides a link, it could either have a big hill and a long descent, or a long gentle climb and a quick drop.

Essentially, there are 4 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 32 different combinations, yet basically one overall group of roads used.

How to get that across, without creating 32 rides?  And, of course there are some connecting bits to add in, since the links don't always totally interlock, depending on which road / direction you've chosen for the next leg of the ride.

« Reply #870 on: 19 August, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »
How do I report errors in my results? I've been accredited with a 150km ECE for a 100km DIY I did from my house.  :D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #871 on: 19 August, 2016, 08:46:46 pm »
How do I report errors in my results? I've been accredited with a 150km ECE for a 100km DIY I did from my house.  :D

Report the issue to your DIY org; they are best placed to progress the issue.

« Reply #872 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:10:24 pm »

Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #873 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Should it have been 150mm?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #874 on: 01 September, 2016, 02:53:30 pm »

I set up a series of events from Porto Vecchio in Corsica that would allow you to do this.  Plus a 120k for fettling or recovery.  Be warned that they are hilly.  The 600 had 9500m ascent.  There's a challenge!!!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)