Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 148349 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: womens record
« Reply #175 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:34:05 pm »
I got the first train out of Southend Vic (6.15) and I think I had it to myself to begin with. A couple of late-night revellers got on at Hockley (quite a nightlife in Hockley, evidently) and when I got out at Billericay I discovered, to my annoyance, that the lift was behind a locked metal gate that no-one had bothered to open at that time in the morning. This meant carrying my bike up a flight of stairs, which normally is no problem, but I struggled today because the Sodding Arthritis was attacking my right shoulder. Picking up the bike was painful, as was putting my arm behind my back to retrieve anything from my pocket.

I arrived at the appointed place to find one bloke there. He was wearing a Wallace & Grommit top, in the manner of Rower40, and we were shortly joined by a few others. The first two blokes clearly knew each other and nattered a fair bit. The final four cyclists to arrive included Kajsa herself, and after a brief conversation in which she said that I was the only member of the group she recognised from FB photos, we had just enough time to discover that Wallace & Grommit Man had a rear wheel puncture and we were away, leaving W & G M to fix his puncture and attempt to catch up.

I have to say that I was a little concerned when I saw the assembled company that I might have trouble staying with them, as they were a) not old and b) not fat. Kajsa was reassuring in that she claimed that she was riding very slowly so I shouldn't have a problem, and for the first 3 or 4 miles I did indeed stay with the others. However, as soon as a climb appeared for which I did not have the momentum to get up in highish gear, I lost ground and try as I might, the last time I saw them disappear over the horizon was around the 6.5 mile mark, so clearly Basil did not use a big enough font. Thereafter I was on my own until, just before the café at Norton Heath, W & G M came storming past with an "Ello mate!" and, like Rabbit*, was gone again before I had time to think of a reply.

I headed towards Willingale on the narrow-windy road and quite enjoyed a little watery sunshine, but in the end I pottered in the general direction of Chelmsford via Radley and Newney Greens with their ornithologically-named pubs (The Cuckoo and The Duck). YACFers may remember rides I have organised which involved lunches there. Both, of course, were firmly closed whilst I was going through, at about 9am on a Sunday.

At one point I was awoken from my scarcely-mobile reverie by a lady who overtook me on the inside, it being entirely my fault for riding on the right-hand-side of the road as I climbed a modest slope at about 4mph. She said "Good morning!" just in time to stop me swerving into her, and she too left me well behind. Half-an-hour or so later I saw her sitting on a bench in Admiral's Park, reading a book and eating some breakfast. I stopped and apologised for my random riding earlier, and she told me that she had wondered which side to go. She was on a planned 120-mile ride from Harlow to Colchester and back and showed me the book, which was a miniature AA road atlas. It's quite refreshing to see people doing things the old-fashioned way.

Soon afterwards I was in Chelmsford station drinking coffee and awaiting the arrival of the delayed 9.58 to Liverpool Street.

Kajsa Tylen leads the way into a car park in Billericay.

*A. A. Milne's version, not the esteemed Rabbit OTP.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #176 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:50:19 pm »
Perhaps I should have strayed out.....

I was concerned with Kajsa saying she recognised you from your online photo, then re-read it and realised it said fb, not YAFC!

Nevertheless congrats for doing the early rota.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #177 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:04:15 pm »
If I find that my current attempt in lard-reduction actually come to anything, and I speed up a bit, I will try to join another of Kajsa's rides later in the year. If I can get down to about 17 stone I would imagine that I would stand a chance.

« Reply #178 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »
WOWBAGGER  thanks for such a detailed and informative posting.  If only Steve had allowed company on rides we would  (still could! ?) Have enjoyed such reports by the dozen!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #179 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:18:08 pm »

woollypigs
 Personal Message (Online)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)

« Reply #3263 on: Today at 01:44:09 pm »

It appears that we finished this endeavor just in time. There is a cold front moving in that will hit tonight that will drop the temps down into the 30's. Today we are off to walk the beach and then check out history of st augustine before heading to Vite Bikes tomorrow to pick up a bent for Alicia. If she is going to go after the women's record she will need the right tool. Then it is back to Arkansas for work and to preperations.

Quoted from another thread.

Looks like there could be some competition.

Go Kajta

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #180 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:30:17 pm »
I got the first train out of Southend Vic (6.15) and I think I had it to myself to begin with. A couple of late-night revellers got on at Hockley (quite a nightlife in Hockley, evidently) and when I got out at Billericay I discovered, to my annoyance, that the lift was behind a locked metal gate that no-one had bothered to open at that time in the morning. This meant carrying my bike up a flight of stairs, which normally is no problem, but I struggled today because the Sodding Arthritis was attacking my right shoulder. Picking up the bike was painful, as was putting my arm behind my back to retrieve anything from my pocket.

I arrived at the appointed place to find one bloke there. He was wearing a Wallace & Grommit top, in the manner of Rower40, and we were shortly joined by a few others. The first two blokes clearly knew each other and nattered a fair bit. The final four cyclists to arrive included Kajsa herself, and after a brief conversation in which she said that I was the only member of the group she recognised from FB photos, we had just enough time to discover that Wallace & Grommit Man had a rear wheel puncture and we were away, leaving W & G M to fix his puncture and attempt to catch up.

I have to say that I was a little concerned when I saw the assembled company that I might have trouble staying with them, as they were a) not old and b) not fat. Kajsa was reassuring in that she claimed that she was riding very slowly so I shouldn't have a problem, and for the first 3 or 4 miles I did indeed stay with the others. However, as soon as a climb appeared for which I did not have the momentum to get up in highish gear, I lost ground and try as I might, the last time I saw them disappear over the horizon was around the 6.5 mile mark, so clearly Basil did not use a big enough font. Thereafter I was on my own until, just before the café at Norton Heath, W & G M came storming past with an "Ello mate!" and, like Rabbit*, was gone again before I had time to think of a reply.

I headed towards Willingale on the narrow-windy road and quite enjoyed a little watery sunshine, but in the end I pottered in the general direction of Chelmsford via Radley and Newney Greens with their ornithologically-named pubs (The Cuckoo and The Duck). YACFers may remember rides I have organised which involved lunches there. Both, of course, were firmly closed whilst I was going through, at about 9am on a Sunday.

At one point I was awoken from my scarcely-mobile reverie by a lady who overtook me on the inside, it being entirely my fault for riding on the right-hand-side of the road as I climbed a modest slope at about 4mph. She said "Good morning!" just in time to stop me swerving into her, and she too left me well behind. Half-an-hour or so later I saw her sitting on a bench in Admiral's Park, reading a book and eating some breakfast. I stopped and apologised for my random riding earlier, and she told me that she had wondered which side to go. She was on a planned 120-mile ride from Harlow to Colchester and back and showed me the book, which was a miniature AA road atlas. It's quite refreshing to see people doing things the old-fashioned way.

Soon afterwards I was in Chelmsford station drinking coffee and awaiting the arrival of the delayed 9.58 to Liverpool Street.

Kajsa Tylen leads the way into a car park in Billericay.

*A. A. Milne's version, not the esteemed Rabbit OTP.

Thanks for the interesting report.

Sorry to hear you were dropped, but I'm encouraged to hear Kajsa is taking a professional approach to her attempt.

She made you welcome at the start, but thereafter did what she has to do.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #181 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:37:13 pm »
Oh I know, and I was expecting to be dropped to be honest. I didn't mind in the slightest - I'd read quite a bit of what she's put about the record and I knew exactly what her policy was. It has given me an incentive, as I mentioned above, to lose a couple of stone, get a bit faster, and maybe try again later in the year. I will keep an eye on her schedule to see when she is next in Essex, or somewhere reasonably accessible from wherever I happen to be at the time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #182 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:53:52 pm »
Kajsa posted the following friendly message below my link on her FB page to the above report:-

Hi Peter, I'm so sorry that you were left behind, I was looking forward to chatting to you, you were so warm and friendly. :) I got dropped myself not long after you got left behind but some lovely people stayed with me. Thank you SO much for coming out to see me, it really does mean a lot. All the best, and I hope we get to catch up another time. :) K

« Reply #183 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:24:53 pm »
Cool!
I hope she allows her knee to heal properly - there's still a long way to go...

« Reply #184 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:10:37 pm »
Would seem that Alicia is showing an interest in the ladies record but I guess via UMCA.  Alicia is about to be treated to a bent by Kurt - clearly knows the way to a woman's heart.

« Reply #185 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:18:31 pm »
Kajsa posted the following friendly message below my link on her FB page to the above report:-

Hi Peter, I'm so sorry that you were left behind, I was looking forward to chatting to you, you were so warm and friendly. :) I got dropped myself not long after you got left behind but some lovely people stayed with me. Thank you SO much for coming out to see me, it really does mean a lot. All the best, and I hope we get to catch up another time. :) K

Kasja comes over as a reet nice lass.

The social media side of the attempt is perhaps more important than it ought to be, but she's embraced it.

The difference between her output and Steve's/the team's is already night and day.

Kasja does have some advantages, she has been able to watch the publicity surrounding Kurt and Steve and learn from it.

More crucially, her schedule is not so onerous allowing her to be off the bike by 5.30pm most days.

This gives her a few hours to attend to herself and attend to social media while still hitting the sack at a reasonable time.

Steve has to finish past midnight to get anywhere near 200 miles, leaving him no time for social media niceties.

« Reply #186 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »

Hi Peter, I'm so sorry that you were left behind, I was looking forward to chatting to you, you were so warm and friendly cuddly. :) I got dropped myself not long after you got left behind but some lovely people stayed with me. Thank you SO much for coming out to see me, it really does mean a lot. All the best, and I hope we get to catch up another time. :) K

just a little fix there Wow, are you sure you want to lose that weight?
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #187 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:14:56 am »
Another day starts for Kajsa, lets hope the knee doesn't become too troublesome.  :thumbsup:  She should have a reasonable day, with rain clearing eastwards.

On another note it would seem Steve's choice of tubeless tyres was a good one, with Kajsa having had three punctures already.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #188 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:27:55 am »
[quote authorwhation link=topic=91020.msg1966828#msg1966828 date=1451725016]
I have been tipped a wink by someone in the know that we should keep watching for some more big miles in 2016.
[/quote]

HK, that was what I was alluding to ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #189 on: 11 January, 2016, 02:46:06 pm »
Another tweak to the tracker page code, and now the photos are all thumbnails. She does seem to get stopped at a lot of level crossings!

And she and Steve are both heading for Ely, albeit from opposite directions.

« Reply #190 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:51:51 pm »
Did anyone get to ride with Katja today as requested? Nothing showing on her Strava photos. She was looking happy until she reached Watham on the Wolds and is now looking a bit non plussed.

I must say that her style of utilising social and multi media is very engaging😃👍

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #191 on: 12 January, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »
Did anyone get to ride with Katja today as requested?

Who's Katja?

« Reply #192 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »
She's got about the same mileage (today, so far, at 17:55) as Steve. Which is good for her and not so good for Steve. I think today is what my grandparents would have called "character forming" for her. A slog in the cold on her own. But hopefully the knee is not so troublesome.

Of course Kajsa is nearly home, Steve has another 5-6 hours to go  :o

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #193 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:34:35 pm »
It would appear that one of the most difficult things about the Ladies' Record is spelling the name of the rider(s) actually or potentially attempting it :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #194 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:48:37 pm »
I can easily remember how to _say_ her name.

Spelling it, less so ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #195 on: 12 January, 2016, 07:13:21 pm »
Whereas I have the opposite problem, only having encountered it in text.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #196 on: 12 January, 2016, 07:57:51 pm »
Her attitude reminds me very much of Josie Dew.
Getting there...

« Reply #197 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:01:16 pm »
I think Kajsa is pronounced "ky-suh" from my recollection of her mum saying her name in one of the videos.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #198 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »
And next, pop pickers, Mr W Bagger and his new single "I Was Kajsa Tylen's Batman"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #199 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
And Kajsa closes in on another 100 miler