Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 148384 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start
« Reply #350 on: 03 February, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »
Teethgrinder to ride with Kajsa on Saturday and Sunday - see facebook. That should attract a few more to ride with her, but I'm going to Wochma!

Steve Abraham:
I'll be setting off from home Friday 5th February to the Blackmore Camping and Caravaning site, Hanley Swan, near Great Malvern, Worcestershire. Then I'll be riding with Kajsa doing her Year in The Saddle on Saturday and Sunday. Kajsa would like company on her rides, but there are a few rules.
I'll be taking it very easy riding over to the campsite. It's about 80 miles from Milton Keynes and I expect to stop a few times along the way. Anyone is welcome to join me on the way. I'll switch on my live SPOT tracker so it's easier for anyone to join me on the way.
I hope to set off early in the morning but have no time planned. Suggestions welcome. I'll be camping in my tent, but if that's not for you, there are hotels nearby. A Wetherspoons hotel in Great Malvern. Tewkesbury is about 10 miles away and has a Wetherspoons hotel, Travelodge and Premier Inn. But I expect most will only want to do a day, or part of a day.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #351 on: 03 February, 2016, 08:06:35 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 04 February, 2016, 12:55:29 pm »
Near miss yesterday, according to the video.  And lots of impatient and incompetent motorists.
Getting there...

« Reply #353 on: 05 February, 2016, 07:32:21 am »
Well it would seem the "start from where you stopped"  rule isn't one. Today is the second time Kajsa has started from home after a lift back at the end of the day before.

Weather ok today, but looks foul for tomorrow  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

red marley

« Reply #354 on: 05 February, 2016, 07:53:13 am »
Either because Guinness have relaxed their conditions given their ratification of Kurt's ride or, more likely, that rule never existed in the first place. The only reference I can find suggests the rule was start the next day at the same elevation as the end of the previous one.

« Reply #355 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:47:17 am »
"start the next day at the same elevation as the end of the previous one."

Yeah that makes sense, to stop freewheeling descents without the effort of climbing. Though I guess HAMR accepts that.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #356 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:02:16 am »
Either because Guinness have relaxed their conditions given their ratification of Kurt's ride or, more likely, that rule never existed in the first place. The only reference I can find suggests the rule was start the next day at the same elevation as the end of the previous one.

Didn't Tommy Godwin used to get the train (or a lift) to somewhere else for the start of the next day based on wind directtion?

H

red marley

« Reply #357 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:06:44 am »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Have a chat with CitizenFish (or read his book).

« Reply #358 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:14:34 am »
Kajsa said she'd asked for clarification on the start-where-you'd-finished and was advised that what she planned was fine. It's kind of a don't take the piss ruling.

« Reply #359 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:13:47 am »

I registered with Guinness back in 2008 for my world cruise when Beaumont had just set a new record of 195 days which looked beatable, even by me. One of the rules for that challenge is "The journey must be continuous, with each leg of the journey beginning at the point at which the previous leg ended" which makes sense for the FASTEST CIRCUMNAVIGATION BY BICYCLE challenge, but not for the highest mileage challenge. Same elevation makes more sense for this. It would be good if Kajsa could publish the rules that Guinness have sent her to end this speculation!

« Reply #360 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
Kajsa said she'd asked for clarification on the start-where-you'd-finished and was advised that what she planned was fine. It's kind of a don't take the piss ruling.

Sad but this makes more sense than anything, Guiness have already shown a willingness to adjust as per ratification of Kurt.
Nuns, no sense of humour

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #361 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »
On the subject of regulations, in Video 35 last night she shows her evening routine, and displays her Witness Log.
Getting there...

« Reply #362 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:21:29 pm »
displays her Witness Log.

Claim to Fame: I signed it!

:smug:

« Reply #363 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:27:54 pm »

Sad but this makes more sense than anything, Guiness have already shown a willingness to adjust as per ratification of Kurt.

Recognising attempts overseen by a different authority is not quite the same as adjusting their own position. Guinness' cachet as the place to go for records would have been slightly undermined if they hadn't recognised Kurt's achievement and acknowledged the UMCA.

I'm sure that if Kurt/Steve had done repeated van trips to the top of a mountain under the UMCA/HAMR rules the UMCA would have introduced a new rule (as they can do, but it can't act retrospectively) to prevent such tactics being used any more in that attempt or any future attempt.

The difference in styles of rules seems to stem from the fact that the UMCA actively monitors what the rider is doing (so that such things can be nipped in the bud quickly, maybe after a day or so of some dubious tactic being used) whilst Guinness set overly restrictive rules because they don't get to see anything until the rider has finished and has submitted their evidence. Two completely different approaches.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #364 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:28:39 pm »

You got named on a vid as well (and called bonkers, I believe)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #365 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:41:34 pm »
Maybe Kajsa's taking a leaf out of TG's book - looks like she's stopped at a Toby Carvery  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #366 on: 05 February, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »

You got named on a vid as well (and called bonkers, I believe)

Nearly right:

To be called absolutely bonkers by someone going for the Year record is quite something.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #367 on: 05 February, 2016, 03:17:04 pm »
Kajsa has definitely joined my list of people I'd like to drink a pint with.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #368 on: 05 February, 2016, 04:12:02 pm »

Is Kajsa allowed to draft people yet or is that still against the rules? A comment Kajsa made on Strava was that she was writing a long email to Guinness regarding clarification of the rules after Kurts record had been ratified by them. I'd imagine that rule would be one of them she would like to disregard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #369 on: 05 February, 2016, 04:19:39 pm »
She is still being strict about no drafting.
Getting there...

red marley

« Reply #370 on: 05 February, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »
And I think the no drafting rule may work to her relative advantage in that Guinness may well record a successful record as 'highest annual mileage without drafting' or some such. This would be the record regardless of gender. My guess is that future successful challengers to the women's record are more likely to come with more a more competitive racing history where drafting will be part of their strategy for gaining the miles. So Kajsa might end up holding the no-draft record for many years.

« Reply #371 on: 05 February, 2016, 05:16:55 pm »

Recognising attempts overseen by a different authority is not quite the same as adjusting their own position.

????? yes it is, it is exactly the same, they may not say so in so many words....the obvious example...you can't say drafting isn't allowed then approve a record made with drafting and then claim your own position hasn't altered.

Unless as Jo says they subdivide records by style, ie drafting, recumbent, etc...but couple that with UMCA age categories and it all gets rather messy.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #372 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »
Can't see a drafting category, but could see a ' bent' category becoming relevant.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #373 on: 06 February, 2016, 05:58:38 am »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Have a chat with CitizenFish (or read his book).

Ah, OK.

Cheers.

H

« Reply #374 on: 06 February, 2016, 08:19:16 am »
After a car transfer from Knowle to the campsite, she's off again, presumably with TG for company at least. No doubt he'll be passing on some of his vast knowledge of endurance cycling.